ughh have to stop pumping colostrum again:(

Kristalebear1

<3 Isobel's Mommy <3
Reaction score
Well I have to stop pumping colostrum once again. First it was because I had a cervix check and got horrid contractions after, So my OB said to wait til 37 wks as she didn't want it to make them worse. 37 weeks rolls around and woot I can pump... For a day til went to my OB appt and was told I have an infection and bacteria in my urine.. Now I'm on meds and can't pump cause the meds do transfer into bm and colostrum so I'm out for another at least 8 days. As I take them for 7 and want to give my body time to get them out my system.

Ughh I only have 4 oz pumped and frozen I really wanted to get to 12 oz before the baby was here. Seems like one thing after another &#128542;

I definitely wouldn't stress about it. I am going to say most women don't pump at all before baby and they still have plenty of colostrum to keep baby fed until your milk comes in. Even with my daughter who I pumped and bottle fed, there was enough for her tiny belly. I am sure that taking a week off from pumping wont effect your breastfeeding success at all.

I'm curious as to why you're pumping colostrum too. Seems an awful lot of pressure to put yourself under unless there's a really reason l.

Definitely don't stress about it. I had no colostrum pumped when my LO was born.

12oz seems like a lot anyway. I would just give yourself a break and relax before your LO is here. Feeding is going to be full-on once she's born, no need to make it hard on yourself before she's even here!

Can I ask why you are pumping colostrum before your baby is here?

Because I have excess to do it, and I will also be supplementing for a friends baby, as she can not breast feed due to medications she takes for an illness and wants her baby to have colostrum. She's been off the meds her pregnancy but doctors insist she start the moment baby is out, it is very important for her to do so. When I realized how much I can pump in the little time I have, I offered and she accepted. I happen to have alot haha and it pumps nicely whereas I've heard it can be hard for some, she is one of those that can't get hardly anything out pumping.

Im not stressing really as I know there will be enough regardless (especially with those tiny tummies) when I first started pumping it was for emergency incase something happens.. But now I will be supplementing for another baby, her son will be born within 2 weeks of my LG. I did pump one last time before I took my medication and got up another 2 oz out, so total is 6 and now no more til I'm off my uti meds.

That's a really nice thing to do to for your friend xxx

But I would think carefully before you give any of your colostrum away, your body is producing enough colostrum for only one baby, so you would be giving away what you are supposed to give to your baby..

What ever you decide, good luck to you..
Also you might be better to hand express your colostrum out, that way any colostrum won't be lost in the pump tubes..( That's of course when if you set aloud to ) xxxx

It's A Lovely lovely thing you are doing for your friend but be careful you don't give yourself over supply issues. I had massive over supply issues and it is so painful and a viscous cycle to try and control.

Are you planning on donating milk or just colostrum?

That's a really nice thing to do to for your friend xxx

But I would think carefully before you give any of your colostrum away, your body is producing enough colostrum for only one baby, so you would be giving away what you are supposed to give to your baby..

What ever you decide, good luck to you..
Also you might be better to hand express your colostrum out, that way any colostrum won't be lost in the pump tubes..( That's of course when if you set aloud to ) xxxx

I use a hand pump so no tubes involved haha, I assumed an electric might be to harsh on getting colostrum out (as its supposed to be thicker than BM and harder to pump)

Your body produces colostrum for 2-4 days after the baby is born, during that time my daughter will be getting my colostrum as she will be breast fed. But what I have frozen already is what I will be giving my friends son, he gets the pre pumped supply haha.

I wont be giving away what's for my baby as she will get it direct from the boob once she's born. Sky (friends son) will have what I've pre pumped after he is born.

Zorak: There are no studies that link pumping colostrum before baby comes to increases breast milk supply, it has shown no difference. Some women just have a surplus and would have regardless. And since BM doesn't come in til after a baby is born, there's no knowing if I will struggle with milk supply or not. Although pumping after the babies born increases milk supply, that's because your body already knows the baby is out and needs nourishment. Before the placenta comes out, it won't increase milk supply (I had a Looong talk with a lactation consultant the other day haha)

On the slight upside if I do happen to get a surplus and over supply, I can always pump and freeze it, I will be mainly at home quite some time after baby is born. But id hate to be engorged so I'm hoping not to worry to much about it, guess I will find out after baby gets here haha.

I hope to be able to supply her son with pumped breast milk to but we will not know for sure til we know how well my supply gets established.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->