UK ladies - maternity wear

Personally i hate the range of maternity clothes there is, boring, boring, ill fitting and so expensive.

I'm 32 week and all i've bought is one maternity jumper dress that can be worn alone or with jeans, quite thin knit so works in cold and warm weather, was in ale halfprice at mothercare, a pair of maternity jeans again halfprice at mc and a pair of work pants again in sale.

When the weather nice i wear my maxi dresses that are loose or stretchy material and if coldmy maternity jeans and my normal tops that are stretchy and long enough to just cover jeans with belly band on.

I refuse to spend money on clothes that will hardly wear when i can wear clothes that i will still be able to wear after.

I was happy to find that matalan do a maternity range near me (east london) but most of the range seems to be in black and white or styles that I just don't like. I've picked a few things up in H and M but otherwise it's been quite difficult to get stuff that's affordable and that suits me.

I don't mind used clothes and luckily have a retired mum who loves to go to car boot sales and charity shops so she has found most of my maternity wear - is there a willing relative who can keep an eye open for bargains for you? I've stopped looking for things now as I'm 39 weeks and I'm living in size 14-16 tops and loose trousers (that I think were originally pj bottoms from primark - but no one's noticed that yet!)

well, I went to Matalan today, and they don't stock maternity wear in my local branch. :hissy: So tried the Mothercare next door and to my great surprise they have a whole load of stuff that they didn't have in the Bluewater branch, quite nice (though not cheap). So I got a top and a shirt. Don't understand why Lewisham Mothercare would have much much nicer clothing than the Bluewater branch, would have assumed it'd be the other way round. Weird.

I am a size 16 pre pregnancy and I am currently wearing a size 20 Evans top and it looks fine! I have also got a couple of bits off of ebay......sometimes there just isnt anything on there though

Im going to buy my jeans from ebay,ive noticed theyve got some new"Next" ones on there. Maybe you could try them on instore and then buy them online? :)

Hi
Have you been to any NCT nearly new sales (check their website for dates) I LOVE them. I got loads of stuff really cheap :)
I also got some nice stuff from the factory M&P shop.
Good luck x

Just looking online at New Look just now and they have a decent maternity range, full of nice summery stuff too :happydance:

Went into our local Matalan to have a look at their maternity range (it was one rail and one carousel) to find them gone. I asked where they had put them and told it's been pulled as it didn't sell.

Pip x

thanks, I didn't know RI and Topshop did maternity! I'm in SE London and usually shop at Bluewater and Bromley. Didn't have time to try Debenhams today, but could try there again. :)[/QUOTE]

Did you find anything in bluewater? I was bit disappointed with mothercare there, any other shops you can recommend there? I found some nice bits in gap maternity.

All I got from Bluewater was a few bits from H&M. Their maternity dept is ok, but the sizing is totally bizarre.

Mothercare at Bluewater was absolutely rubbish. I ended up buying some stuff at Lewisham's branch, they stocked totally different things. I was disappointed by Bluewater in general, though I didn't try Debenhams or House of Fraser (not sure if HofF does maternity). I was extremely disappointed by the lack of selection at Next, and the absence of anything in M&S!

I have quite a few bits from GAP Maternity - mostly all bought in the sale apart from smart trousers and a smart dress. Their sizes are true and quality and fit is excellent. The sale is excellent, I got a pair of white cotton trousers reduced from £35 to £10 (although I had to take them up on my sewing machine!). H&M ok, but very casual stuff and cheapish fabrics -- you're right, the sizes are on the small size. I just ordered some tops and a denim skirt from M&P sale so hopefully they will be OK. All I need now to get me through to Oct are some of the M&P nursing tops which look smart over trousers for work.

I bought a pack of bump bands from Next which are fab - and currently wearing under my stretchy normal tops at home and work. However it makes me feel self concious as they are getting tight now and everybody just stares at the bump at work and in meetings (lol!) - so can't wait to get the M&P drapey tops when they are back in stock.

Swimming costume - Topshop maternity does a lovely blue and white stripey all in one - highly recommend and great to swim in.

All in all- its taken a massive effort and shopping around to build a decent work and home wardrobe. I guess I have spent about £150 - £200.

xx

I got most of mine from Debenhams, with a few bits from New Look, including 2 pairs of "non maternity" trousers which have a big stretchy band which fits under bump. I find Mothercare too expensive and poor quality.

A word of warning over Debenhams thou - I bought 2 pairs of jeans with a bump band attached - 1 pair are fab, although a little large, the 2nd pair, I've already had to sew the bump band back on twice! Now I've only got 3 weeks left, I'm finding it much more comfortable to be in leggings and long tops!! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->