UK - make up not tested on animals?

MiniKiwi

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some good make up that isn't tested on animals, that's available to buy in the UK?

I know a few pharmacies/shops have their own brands which aren't tested on animals but not sure which those are?

Peta have a list of cruelty free brands and also this article explains the little ways companies might market themselves as cruelty free but are not entirely - eg labelling "product not tested on animals" only refers to finished product legally and they may have tested the ingredients on animals, also some companies sell cruelty free products in Europe but are making profit selling an animal tested version in China where testing is compulsory for all cosmetics sold.

https://www.peta.org.uk/features/easy-way-to-go-cruelty-free/

Disappointingly though The Body Shop is on the list, as a stand alone business they don't test and this was something you could trust when Anita Roddick owned it. Nowadays although the products are cruelty free, they are owned by L'Oreal who do test on animals (they have greatly reduced how much testing though) so if you buy Body Shop lipstick it won't be tested on animals but the profits go to a company who do. Also L'Oreal are owned by Nestlé and they really get my back up, they are the most boycotted company in the world and WHO and Unicef both condemn their aggressive formula marketing in developing countries (effectively damaging breastfeeding relationships in areas where mothers have no access to sterile water and bottles, and can't afford to buy enough formula to properly sustain baby as it grows. It's not just "breast is best" in places where drinking water is dirty etc, it's a case of naturally sterile breast milk could be difference between life and death for a tiny baby).

also some companies sell cruelty free products in Europe but are making profit selling an animal tested version in China where testing is compulsory for all cosmetics sold

Thanks for your reply. I have actually read about bodyshop products being sold in China now too..makes you wonder. It's so unfortunate they sold out like that, I still buy bodyshop for lack of choice here, and I know and trust their products. That's why I'm excited to go shopping in the UK, proper labelling and lots more choice. Barely anything is labelled properly here, there's Lush but it's just SO expensive here and I don't love their make up.

I'm interested in make up specifically so if anyone knows of a good quality, cruelty free brand, then let me know :) I'll also be stocking up on other goodies so hopefully won't be buying bodyshop again

I use Marks and Spencer cosmetics which are BUAV approved.
The Autograph range is quite good quality and not too expensive.

lush do some make up, saw online they had mascara, I have used there tinted foundation stuff that you just mix with moisturiser, they don't test on animals. Here is a list of not tested https://nottested.co.uk/Cosmetics.html finding stuff not tested on animals can be difficult. I know that bounty kitchen roll, tampax tampons and always sanitary towels were tested on animals so even things you never consider are tested. Its disgusting and the experiments that universities are able to carry out is shocking

I think Smashbox and Tarte are cruelty free

Urban decay and Two faced? Im pretty sure neither if these test on animals

Ooh what a nice thread! Nice to see people taking an interest and caring about animals xx

Smashbox is not treated on animals and it's a fab makeup xx

SuperDrug have a brand called Super B. Which cheap and vegan and pretty sure isnt animal tested and it normal drug store price

Seriously? I refuse to buy anything L'oreal and now they've bough UD! Not impressed

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->