UK mummies

MummyKP

Reaction score
Just wandering what you did after you got your BFP? My Drs have told me to pop in and get a pregnancy booklet and fill a form in so my details go forward to the midwife, bu just wandering what might happen then? I'm guessing bloods will get taken at some point? Just wandering when you saw a midwife for the first time?

I'm in Scotland, I phoned GP surgery a couple of days after bfp and was told they don't do anything and to call maternity services directly. So I did that, they booked me a booking in appointment for about 8 weeks and a 12 week scan. That was it. Nothing else lol it's a good job I know about taking folic acid etc!!

They usually book you in with a midwife for your booking in appointment around 8 weeks, but I've heard it be as late as 10 or twelve in some places. If you have any problems before you have to vist a gp. But our local surgeries do nothing to confirm pregnancy. Not even a urine test. Seems utter madness to me. But it was even the same when I had my son 9 years ago.

I've got my first appointment with my midwife next week in the UK. Will be 10 weeks and 2 days but I think it would have been earlier if I had got a referral earlier but when I saw my GP at 6 weeks for a referral, I had to go to hospital to check for ectopic pregnancy so it got pushed back a bit.

If it had been smoother, in my local health board they booked an appointment at 6 weeks for the GP who then refers to midwife.

Like Maryanne though, I didn't have any tests at GP - well had the scan in the end - but no urine test etc to confirm the pregnancy.

xx

I think every region does things slightly differently from what I gather. I phoned docs surgery and was told I needed to book in with midwife and they gave me appointment for 6+3. They said I need to collect a pregnancy pack before the appointment.

i didnt even get a pregnancy pack i had booking in at 10-11 weeks ish then i was given a number to ring and book my scan for 12 weeks and had a mw app after my scan i have a 16 week apt and they game me a date for my 20 week scan straight after my 12 week scan

Thanks for sharing your experiences ladies, I'm going to pop in tomorrow and get the pregnancy pack and see what they say then! Can't imagine waiting until 12 weeks before anything else happens, seems crazy!!

I phoned my dr's surgery and they told me I had to have a routine appointment. I had that at 5+4 in which the dr asked some questions about previous pregnancies etc and took my weight. He then referred me to the midwife who got in touch with me and booked my booking appointment which was at 10+5.

I rang my GP and they booked me straight in for a Booking Appointment which I had at 7+3. I got a pregnancy pack at the appointment and they took bloods and a urine sample.

I'd prob call your Drs & see how they want you to go about it. It seems most counties want you to go straight to midwife, but I had to go through my GP. They told me booking in appointment is between 8-10wks (again, may vary on region). I'm glad I saw my GP first though as it meant I could ask questions about prescription meds I am on atm, and needed to come off! xxx

Oh, I forgot to say. My first midwife appointment she asked loads of questions, took 3 vials of blood, did my blood pressure, checked my urine sample and weighed me. I got given my pregnancy notes, a bounty pack and a form to send off for antenatal classes.

With my 1st the gp did a test to confirm pregnancy then I was booked in at 6 weeks for my first appointment.
This time the gp didnt confirm it as apparently home tests are more accurate, my mw appointment was at 8 weeks and then I was booked in for my 12 week scan. I booked an early scan at 7 weeks as I was impatient and didnt believe I was pregnant lol.

It can seem crazy, but there's not actually a lot that needs doing before 12 weeks. I referred myself at 6 weeks, but requested my appointment for 8 weeks. I assumed this was a booking in appointment, but I just filled in the basics, got my scan referral sent off, and then had a full booking in appointment at just over 10 weeks for urine and blood samples and to get my notes. I get my scan at 12+2, midwife at 16 weeks for bloods, then I don't have an appointment until 28 weeks, and then not until 36, 38, 40.

The waiting around is a nightmare but yes I had to go and fill out a form in the docs reception, the MW then called to introduce herself and book me in for my first appt with her at 8 weeks. At that appointment they do loads of paperwork and hand your notes over for you to take car of and book your 12 weeks scan.

I just wanted someone else to check I was pregnant in that 8 weeks, but no-one would!

Thanks for all the comments. My mw should contact me next week about my 8 week appt....can I ask, did your partners go to the 8 week appt? My DH struggles to get time off so I'm concerned if he'll be able to make that one, I feel it's much more important he comes to the 12 week scan.

My DH didn't come this time, or at my booking in appt with my DD. He just came to all the scans and came to one midwife appointment last time, but just because he was off work at the time. The booking in appointment is literally question answering and urine/blood taking - btu you might need to know a little bit of his family history (just any illnesses/conditions in the family etc). I don't think it matters too much if he's not there x

I'm in Scotland, I phoned GP surgery a couple of days after bfp and was told they don't do anything and to call maternity services directly. So I did that, they booked me a booking in appointment for about 8 weeks and a 12 week scan. That was it. Nothing else lol it's a good job I know about taking folic acid etc!!

Same here, I went straight to maternity services and didn't see anyone till 8 weeks.

Rang receptionist... she took my name and date of my last period and told me someone would be in touch around 9-12 weeks ...... Very hands off haha.

I'm going to book a private scan for around 11 weeks. As last time My scan was late; closer to 14 then 12 and i can't bear that much waiting around.

No my DH didn't come to my booking appointment. I think he would have been bored stiff if he had :haha:

My OH came to my booking appointment because they ask questions about family history and I can't answer his side of the family myself as I don't see them. He won't be coming to many midwife appointments though. The only other one he will probably come to is one where they listen for the heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->