Uk mums, has anyone returned child benefit forms but isnt claiming it?

SmileyKez

Reaction score
Im filling in the form but we arent entitled to it, i still have to return the form but i dont know if i still need to send his birth certificate? Does anyone know?

It doesnt say in the notes, and i know it sounds stupid but its going to get folded in half and i dont want it to! :(

Everyone with a baby should be entitled to child benefit.
I would give them a quick ring tomorrow, I am pretty sure if you are making a claim they need their birth certificate but i think you get 2 anyway don't you? I know we did, the proper one and one to send off to places.

Very dumb question sorry, but why do you need to fill out the form if you aren't claiming it? I thought the point of the form was to claim the benefit (I'm not being snarky I'm really curious if there was some other reason for the form).

Everyone with a baby should be entitled to child benefit.
I would give them a quick ring tomorrow, I am pretty sure if you are making a claim they need their birth certificate but i think you get 2 anyway don't you? I know we did, the proper one and one to send off to places.

I think there's new criteria to meet to claim it now, I.e if your income is over a certain bracket you can't claim it x

oh right, that came in quick!!
If you can't claim and are not claiming you have no reason to send them the birth certificate.

Yeah I think it's if one salary is above a certain amount rather than the combined income, which is rubbish really as everyone should be entitled to a little help at least.

We had to pay £5 for a more detailed birth certificate and we got the usual one for free. Why don't you request a copy certificate to send? I sent our form off in an A4 envelope but LO's birth certificate was returned in a teeny envelope :( so the chances are it will be folded and returned in the same way.

If you arent entitled to it you still have to return the form, bloody red tape, to tell them you arent claiming it, but it also protects your state pension by ensuring you get NI credits and help lo get their NI number. Seems like a difficult way of doing it!

I'll send it then but i might put a self addressed a4 envelope in and ask they return it in that! Theyll probs ignore me tho!

Everyone is entitled but you can opt out if you earn a certain amount...

But yea as far as i'm aware you still need to send the form back but select the box to opt out - I remember seeing it on my form xx

If you arent entitled to it you still have to return the form, bloody red tape, to tell them you arent claiming it, but it also protects your state pension by ensuring you get NI credits and help lo get their NI number. Seems like a difficult way of doing it!

I'll send it then but i might put a self addressed a4 envelope in and ask they return it in that! Theyll probs ignore me tho!

I didn't know that, very interesting!

I think you will still need to send the birth certificate to get your NI credits.

But yea as far as i'm aware you still need to send the form back but select the box to opt out - I remember seeing it on my form xx

Yeah thats what i mean, if you earn over a certain amount you now have to pay a tax on the benefit, which can be more than the benefit, its bloody stupid if you ask me!

Yes, I sent the birth certificate in with the form. I can't remember but I think you are supposed to send it whether you are claiming or not.

If one parent in the household earns over 50K then you loose a % of it, you loose it all if you earn over 60k.

You can claim it all and return what you were not entitled to by a tax system (best if you earn between 50 and 60k). Or you can not claim it at all (best if you are earning over 60k).

However, if you are not going to claim it, it is in your interest to apply and say you are not claiming as outlined below. I would think you do need to send the birth certificate.

Claiming Child Benefit

As long as you, or your partner, are entitled to receive Child Benefit you should still fill in a Child Benefit claim form if you have not already done so. This is because entitlement to Child Benefit:

can help you or your partner qualify for National Insurance credits that can protect entitlement to State Pension
can help protect entitlement to other benefits such as Guardian's Allowance
ensures your child is automatically issued with a National Insurance number before their 16th birthday

Yeah thats what i mean, if you earn over a certain amount you now have to pay a tax on the benefit, which can be more than the benefit, its bloody stupid if you ask me!

It wont be more than the benefit, it will be equal to the benefit if one of you earns 60K or more.

It wont be more than the benefit, it will be equal to the benefit if one of you earns 60K or more.

Ah ok, just read that bit, still seems bloody stupid to me! Its hardly a benefit if you lose the same amount in tax! I think the government have really cocked this up big time! Its unfair the way theyve done it, its complicated and you still have to fill the form in!

Ah ok, just read that bit, still seems bloody stupid to me! Its hardly a benefit if you lose the same amount in tax! I think the government have really cocked this up big time! Its unfair the way theyve done it, its complicated and you still have to fill the form in!

but you have the choice to opt out and not receive it if you know you are over the threshold, so you wouldn't be paid it and then taxed, you just wouldn't receive it in the first place. or if you are not sure if you will be over the threshold or not, you opt to receive it and they will tax you back what you were not entitled to. It is means tested, so yeah it isn't a benefit if you aren't entitled! The form isn't really much work to fill out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->