UK people expecting multiples and the sure start grant

_Vicky_

Mum to twins
Reaction score
Hi ladies

Just a quicky I found out last night that we will qualify for the sure start grant last night. Basically having twins pushes your allowance of child tax credits passed the basic family rate - obviously its means tested but if oh is on an averageish salary and you are giving up work for a bit on MA or SMP then you should qualify too.

The best bit is that it is £500 PER CHILD not per pregnancy as everything else seems to be.

Sooooo soon as bubbas are here you need to apply for CTC asap then get your claim in quick before babies are three months old.

I called the CTC helpline and when through all my income and they gave me all the info I need - the forms are pretty horrific so I am pre completing them both as I would imagine two lots of 30 odd page forms wont be a priority just after delivery.

Soooooo after all that waffle hope someone else finds this useful xxxx

I work for a Sures start centre and didn't know this!! Thanks I will look into it!
It seems that there are things you can claim for if you happen to be in the know. My uncle works for the benefits agency and he said aswell as Family Allowance (or whatever it is called now) of about £37 a week (for twins) you can claim for Family tax credit which is £80 per child for the first 12 monts and then it reduces down to £50. You can claim this until your child comes out of full time education???!!!! Once I am a bit further along I am going to contact the Inland revenue and find out more about it. xx

oohh whats family tax credit? off to google lol - oohh the are the same as CTC hehehehe

oh oh oh! Fabulous I thought the sure start grant was only for people on benefits! Lol I am actually all excited now! I am pants with working out what I'm entitled to. So averagish wage what are we talking about under £30k a year or something? xxx

oh oh oh! Fabulous I thought the sure start grant was only for people on benefits! Lol I am actually all excited now! I am pants with working out what I'm entitled to. So averagish wage what are we talking about under £30k a year or something? xxx

- easiest thing to do is call them and go through all your stuff only took me 10 mins and then its personalised on your situation as you have to tell them what you earned last year too the number is 0845 300 3900

Is it too early for me to ring now? I won't look like some mad woman will I lol xxx

Maximum CTC is £50 per child per week,i never heard about the £80?

Is it too early for me to ring now? I won't look like some mad woman will I lol xxx

I called for the first time about a month ago - just call and they can work it out for you xx

we got ther surestart materninty grant and got £1000

In Aussie we have what is called the Baby Bonus and every mother gets it, up until 30th june 2010 it is $5000 per child born, not per pregnancy. As of 1st July 2010 it goes up to just under $6000 per child. You get it paid to you over 13 fortnightly payments.

However when it comes to family allowance payments each fortnight (fortnightly tax credits) Twins isn't classed as MULTIPLE you have to have 3 or more born to the same pregnancy:dohh:.

just an update to this - we got the £1000 yesterday yay. I basically applied for child benefit child tax credits first then when I got the CTC award I called them and asked for a recalculation based on this years income (ie my Maternity Allowance amount NOT my full time wage) then applied for the grant. I sent off the form on 16th Feb and the cash was in my account yesterday - yay!!!! Means and extra months maternity leave for me whoop whoop

Thanks Vicky very interesting indeed I thought this was only if one of you didnt work. Excellent...apply everyone! x

there is the health in pregnancy grant what you can claim too from 25 weeks im not sure if every1 is entitled or just peeps on benifits
:coffee:

The HIP everyone gets regardless.

Bumber I know I thought the same but as you have until the babies are three months old to claim and by that time the majority will be on the 5k a year maternity allowance or SMP then it puts many people in with a fighting chance - hurrah

We werent entitled to it apparently. even though I have a low income! Its awful.

Hope you all can get it. would do with that £1000!!x

That's great news Vicky! I have my forms all printed out ready to go as I have been told that I will more than likely be entitled. I have 1 child already who i get tax credits for and 2 babies will push me into the higher family allowance bracket.
My midwife has said that there are only a small few who aren't entitled, think the joint income has to be under £50,000 the same for just tax credits and then the 2 babies pushes to the higher award.

Sorry if that doesn't make sence!
xx

The HIP everyone gets regardless.

Bumber I know I thought the same but as you have until the babies are three months old to claim and by that time the majority will be on the 5k a year maternity allowance or SMP then it puts many people in with a fighting chance - hurrah

Fab...thanks !! us twin mummies need all the help we can get! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->