Ultrasound Reading Help??

babygirl02201

Reaction score
I have been worried about accuracy with the results because I actually don't understand them. My first scan results were for dating and I was told 6w-3d. At my anatomy scan results varied from 18w-3d and 19w-2d! Does this still put me on target or does this mean they measured wrong?

From the measurements they will determine an average, not all babies develop all of their parts at the same rate. How many weeks were you the date of your scan? I was 20 weeks my first pregnancy with my son and he measured 18w - 18w 5d and I was worried, but he ended up being just a little guy when he was born, he still is to this day at a healthy 2 years of age.

During early ultrasounds, they only do one measurement. As the fetus grows, they do several different measurements and get an average. They'll measure head, belly, femur, etc and they might all give a different fetal age, but as long as they are within a certain range, they don't worry if they differ. The sonographer isn't allowed to "interpret" the scan, that has to be a doctor or radiologist. So, if there's something worrisome, you'll likely get a call or your doctor will discuss it with you at your next visit. Even if a measurement is off, there's still time to catch up. Not every part on every baby grows in a linear fashion. Good luck :)

During early ultrasounds, they only do one measurement. As the fetus grows, they do several different measurements and get an average. They'll measure head, belly, femur, etc and they might all give a different fetal age, but as long as they are within a certain range, they don't worry if they differ. The sonographer isn't allowed to "interpret" the scan, that has to be a doctor or radiologist. So, if there's something worrisome, you'll likely get a call or your doctor will discuss it with you at your next visit. Even if a measurement is off, there's still time to catch up. Not every part on every baby grows in a linear fashion. Good luck :)

Thank you for your insight. I was having troubles with the ultrasound in general. I was originally wondering if my first scan could have been measuring 3-5 weeks behind what it really is.

Thank you for that. I was just originally worried about the accuracy of my first dating scan. I was worried it was measuring 3-5weeks behind. Is that usual?

What's already been said....With daughter, towards 3rd trimester, she had parts of her (I can't recall now) measuring 3 weeks ahead and other parts measuring 2 weeks ahead. I was seeing a perinatologist bc I was high risk and they were never worried about anything. My due date never changed either.

Okay. I was just saying is there any possible way that I am actually 3-5 weeks further ahead than what I was told at my first scan. I understand that different parts can measure further and behind and not change due date now, thanks!

Can you give us some reference dates? LMP, positive HPT, date of first scan, date of 20 week scan, etc?

They usually dont see a cause for concern unless measurements are two or more weeks out.

I didn't have a 20week scan instead I had my anatomy scan on Sep.15th. I was totally unsure of LMP. I had my first faint positive on June 12. On June 23rd I was given a dating scan which gave me the numbers 6w and 3d due date Feb 12. I was just wondering if I could have been 4-5weeks further along and they just couldn't tell.

It's very unlikely that the doctor's wouldn't be able to tell if they were 4-5 weeks off.

By the sounds of it, the dates and measurements are right on.

June 12th you got a BFP, you would have been 4w 6d which is a normal time to find out.

June 23rd you were given a measurement of 6w 3d so you would have been 6 weeks on the 20th of June.

September 15th when you had your anatomy scan or typically known as the '20 week scan' because it's generally done around 20 weeks, you would have been 18w and 3d pregnant.

At 18w and 3d pregnant, you were given measurements of 18+3 through 19+2. The measurements sound perfect for your dating scan and how far along you would be, baby is even measuring ahead by 6 days it sounds like, which is nothing to worry about.

If you were 4 weeks further along for instance, you would have been 8w6d when you found out, 10w3 days when you had your dating scan and around 22w3d when you had your anatomy scan. Considering your measurements are very right on with the other dates and your scans, it's very very unlikely you could be further along.

It's very unlikely that the doctor's wouldn't be able to tell if they were 4-5 weeks off.

By the sounds of it, the dates and measurements are right on.

June 12th you got a BFP, you would have been 4w 6d which is a normal time to find out.

June 23rd you were given a measurement of 6w 3d so you would have been 6 weeks on the 20th of June.

September 15th when you had your anatomy scan or typically known as the '20 week scan' because it's generally done around 20 weeks, you would have been 18w and 3d pregnant.

At 18w and 3d pregnant, you were given measurements of 18+3 through 19+2. The measurements sound perfect for your dating scan and how far along you would be, baby is even measuring ahead by 6 days it sounds like, which is nothing to worry about.

What she sai
They would def have been able to tell if you were 4-5 weeks further along, especially in the first scan as they only do one (CRL) measurement at early ultrasounds. If you were 8+ weeks at your first it would have been completely obvious

I'm curious why you think you could be 4-5 weeks further along? There is a very big, and obvious, difference between a 6 week embryo and a 10 week fetus - and a sonographer is trained to accurately measure, assess, and record the measurements of the baby, so I doubt they made a mistake that big. If they dated you at 6w3d at your first scan, that's a pretty good estimate, give or take a few days. There's no way you would have been 4 weeks further than that, and they still measured you at only 6 weeks. Sounds like their estimate continues to hold true, so I think you're right where you need to be.

The reason I thought I was further ahead because I only had intercourse strict times April 18th and month of May.

Conception probably took place sometime between the 7tg-11th or around there.

Of what month? I'm totally confused on how this all works. My child wasn't planned. She's not a mistake, just wasn't planning for children yet so I really do not know much about conception and ovulation and things of that nature. My concern was I wasn't sure of LMP so I got a scan that dated me and I just hear a lot about their being so much error with scans. I was wondering if I could've gotten pregnant 4 to 5 weeks before the dates I was given!

Its extremely unlikely you'd be that much further along. google ultrasound photos for the two different gestations you're wondering about and you'll see the obvious difference

Of what month? I'm totally confused on how this all works. My child wasn't planned. She's not a mistake, just wasn't planning for children yet so I really do not know much about conception and ovulation and things of that nature. My concern was I wasn't sure of LMP so I got a scan that dated me and I just hear a lot about their being so much error with scans. I was wondering if I could've gotten pregnant 4 to 5 weeks before the dates I was given!

I made a mistake, around the 7th-11th of may would probably have been your last period. Conception probably took place around may 19-27, somewhere in that ballpark range.

I just wish I was sure of my LMP. I don't recall when it came. If it didn't come then is it still possible I could be pregnant from April 18 and not late May?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->