Underwhelmed by 16w midwife appointment

I think I felt similar after mine with my first, but to be honest there isn't a lot more they can do at this stage. Midwife apps are basically a quick check that everything is as it should be and keeping an eye on bp, urine and well being. They don't get too much more exciting I'm afraid - except they measure fundal height and feel for baby's position.

Also I felt mine was quite rushed because she didn't even know I was expecting twins! Wasn't till the end of my apt that she read something in my notes and said "oh twins!"

Also I felt mine was quite rushed because she didn't even know I was expecting twins! Wasn't till the end of my apt that she read something in my notes and said "oh twins!"

Oh man that's not very reassuring!!

To be fair, the midwife wouldn't haven't been informed that you were having twins - the scan departments don't tend to communicate with midwives and they have to find things out for themselves by looking at the notes/scan reports when they next see you (or from the woman telling them themself, lol). Mine didn't know I was having twins last time either until I told her.

At the early stages the checks are more about you/us than the baby so it can all be pretty unexciting, especially if you've been looking forward to it... It's pretty much the same thing each time, except they'll feel for baby's position later on too. You wont have any more blood samples until 28 weeks now (unless any are needed sooner) so don't worry about that :)

I don't know why there's a fetal movement check at 16 weeks I can't imagine many women feel definite movement at 16 weeks? It does get boring, they're only there to make sure everything is ok really, not to get excited about your pregnancy. If you have the same midwife and she's nice, try and make chit chat as that can make it more fun.

They're not checking for fetal movement they're checking the size of your uterus :)

My MW did both, she measured my fundal height (but unofficially as they don't start doing it until 24 weeks in my area) and did a fetal movement check which was just asking me whether I'd felt LO yet and whether there was a pattern to his/her movements yet :)

Ohh! Mine asked that too but I thought she was just making conversation! 😂

My midwife forgot to make me a 16 week appointment, despite me being "amber" risk. It was only when I went for Harmony scan privately that the consultant I saw there told me to go back and kick up about it:wacko:

So I had a 16 week appointment with the NHS consultant, before I went in the nurse (MW?) checked my urine and BP - which was suddenly sky high but possibly due to the stress of finding a carpark - no easy task. The consultant appointment took about 5 minutes consisting of nothing very much, just told me to take the baby aspirin and ticked a couple of boxes.

Definitely don't feel like I'm getting world class or even average care :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->