Unexplained ladies, what do you think of this?

2have4kids

Mother of 3
Reaction score
Hi all, we've tried so hard to get preggers and now that we're going to Czech to do donor egg IVF, our coordinator mentioned her story with unexplained IVF and I thought it was really interesting.
She said that unless you shell out between $2000-$10,000 for autoimmune testing, you won't know if you are having one of many immunity issues that fs's won't test for. So having arthritis and a mom with the same IF issues that I do, she suggested low dose therapeutic prednisone while I go through the donor egg IVF, just to cover all bases. She said normal dose is 20mg or more but they only use 10mg to ensure my body won't attack the embryo since I haven't had the testing. I think it's a great idea, I'm so sick of failure and so depressed right now, well, it really hurts. I can't handle another failure especially when we're going across the world and having to go the donor egg route.

Had I known this I would have asked my gp for low dose prednisone while we were ttc for at least a few months out of the last 3 years. If autoimmune is my problem, I may have been able to get preggers naturally, just like she did. She did all the testing and then took heparin, prednisone, baby aspirin, the typical concoctions in the studies in the link below. They keep you on the low dose until you get scanned for the heartbeat and then take you off it then.

Would anyone else try this? Do you think it's a weird thing?

I read a little on prednisone and it's giving me more hope:
https://sites.google.com/site/miscarriageresearch/supplements-and-miscarriage/prednisone

My doctor uses Dexamethasone, which I think is somewhat similar to prednisone -- at least as far as IVF medication protocols go (forgive me if I'm mistaken). I was on Dexamethasone throughout the stimming part of my IVF cycle as well as during my FET cycle (and continuing now that I am PUPO). The only days that I did not take this medication was the 4 days leading up to my FET when I was taking Medrol instead.

If your doctor is recommending it and thinks it's worth trying, I'd consider giving it a shot.

Good luck on your continued journey to motherhood. :hugs:

Thanks so much, it's reassuring to hear that other docs have similar protocols.

My doc uses dexamethasone. I would try it.

10mg of pred is very low. If you did have immune issues you would need a dose of 20-40mg for it to have an effect on natural killer cells. You shoul start taking them 2 weeks before et and wean off them at 12 weeks.

We had 3 failed cycles (mf). But I grew suspicious something else must be up so found an immune dr and had the full tests and discovered my immunes were all over the place. I had asked about immunes on my 2nd cycle. The clinic said they didn't test but would prescribe the meds. They were so low they were useless and would only help someone whose results were borderline so no good for women with immune issues.

The next time I cycled I had full immune meds and fell pregnant with twins. I had never been pregnant before.

I hope that helps a bit. Good luck!

Springflower v good to know & thank you. Congratulations on your twins, how are twins btw? Keep you busy the first year? :flower:

Sadly one of my little girls died when she was a month old, but her sister is doing well.

Twins are amazing and when I had them both I really felt I had hit the jackpot. We were incredibly happy.

x

Springflower that's heartbreaking!!! How did this happen if I may ask, she must have had a heart condition or something? I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Both my girls caught infections in hospital. (Unclean medical equipment) nearly lost them both but thankfully they managed to save one of my girls.

Both my girls caught infections in hospital. (Unclean medical equipment) nearly lost them both but thankfully they managed to save one of my girls.

omg thats shocking!! You could quite successfully sue over something like that. I couldn't imagine losing a baby I had just spend 9+ months and money sweat & tears creating to have it succumb to somthing as rediculous as unsterile conditions.:growlmad:

I don't have any experience with prednisone, but just wanted to say good luck & keep us updated!

And Springflower, so sorry to hear about your dear daughter.

Sadly one of my little girls died when she was a month old, but her sister is doing well.

Twins are amazing and when I had them both I really felt I had hit the jackpot. We were incredibly happy.

x

I'm so sorry to read this, Springflower. :hugs:

omg thats shocking!! You could quite successfully sue over something like that. I couldn't imagine losing a baby I had just spend 9+ months and money sweat & tears creating to have it succumb to somthing as rediculous as unsterile conditions.:growlmad:

Yes, that's exactly how we feel. We've just started to go down the legal route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->