Unilateral Hearing Loss

meant2bamummy

Reaction score
My 6 month old daughter (4 months corrected) has been diagnosed with unilateral hearing loss in her right ear. Because she is an infant, they can only go up to 90 decibals. At that threshold, she is unresponsive to sound. They have done multiple tests, so we know it is not fluid or a misdiagnosis. Now we have to make the decision to put a hearing aid on her or not. My husband and I are both on the same page and have said we don't want to put a hearing aid on her unless it would make a significant difference, and right now she has no measurable hearing so it would almost be a pointless amplification. The diagnosing audiologist said amplifying her could cause confusion because would be amplified so much that her good ear would pick up that extra sound, too. She suggested waiting until we knew exactly what she could hear and not hear. That audiologist retired and we now have a new one, who is the exact opposite. Her view is that even if she has no hearing in that ear, they can jack up the amplification so much that she can feel it in the skull bones and "feel" the sound. She also said if she has no stimulation of that ear, the nerve will die off.

Just wasn't sure if anyone else had to make this decision? What did you decide?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->