Unpasteurized Parmesan cheese

Dia0624

Reaction score
Help! After I ate a chicken Parmesan sandwich which I figured was safe, I decided to ask if the cheese was pasturized and it isn't. I'm feeling so guilty and upset now. Has anyone eaten unpasturized cheese and been ok? It was melted but I can't tell if that means thoroughly cooked. I'm really worried. I'm waiting for my doc to call me back.

Honestly a little bit isnt going to harm you. Even with our lowered immune systems our bodies naturally have the ability to fight of small amounts of bacteria. A lot of the info out there tendz t scare people. Heck ive not stopped eating deli meat. The risk is super minimal that you would have the bacteria enter your body. Ive even heard of people eating tuna which is high in mercury, for their whole pregnancy and be just fine. Not saying to just go ahead and do it, but dont over worry yourself after having a little bit. Chances are there was nothing. If on a normal immune system eating that stuff is fine, most often then not a little bit still wont harm us. Think about it, in reality everything is bad for us...apparently most things end up causing cancer. Its rediculas. People ate that stuff before years ago without any issues. I wouldnt worry so much about those types of food as much as i would worry about which meds you are taking and smoking and drinking.

I honestly wouldn't worry if you have just eaten it once. I mean the things they say not to eat are only precautionary measures. I got my bfp a few days after xmas, over the xmas period I must have eaten a million things I shouldn't have because I was convinced I was out that month and I stood no chance of getting a bfp. I haven't worried about it though and it hasn't harmed my baby in any way.

You will be fine sweety. In our house we drink ONLY raw (unpasteurized) goat milk, that includes my 11 month old. I'm not sure where you are from, but here in my state in order to sell raw/unpasteurized anything you must have a certification from the state and test your milk weekly for anything harmful. I too think it's rare to get sick from unpasteurized foods.

I wouldn't worry too much, just because you ate it doesn't mean you're going to get sick. I ate heaps of things I shouldn't have been eating when I found out I was pregnant as I was in a foreign country and it was extremely difficult to know what I was ordering..... deli meats, runny eggs etc etc .... and I am fine.

I didn't know that about the tuna though, I guess there are different regulations for different countries as here they say you can have a few small cans a week.

The rules about pasteurisation are there to prevent possible sickness from bacteria, because our immune systems are lower. The risks are teeny tiny. You haven't been sick (which would definitely happen if you had been unlucky enough to be in that tiny minority who get sick) - you are absolutely fine.

Thank you all ladies!! Def. Helped me relax. I've had two mc before so you can imagine how worried I am about this one. The nurse called me back and also said that one time should not do any harm but I need to be more careful. Thank you again!

"All hard cheeses, even if they are made with unpasteurised milk, are generally considered safe to eat. This includes parmesan."

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/x3175/is-it-safe-to-eat-cheese-during-pregnancy#ixzz3UlQ8qWuJ

This was on the NHS website:
All hard cheeses are safe in pregnancy
You can eat hard cheeses such as cheddar, parmesan and stilton, even if they're made with unpasteurised milk. Hard cheeses don't contain as much water as soft cheeses, so bacteria are less likely to grow in them. It is possible for hard cheese to contain listeria, but the risk is considered to be low.

I hope that's useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->