Upcoming wedding and pumping

toffee87

Reaction score
We have a wedding that my LO isn't invited to, it's not for another 7 weeks, but I also want to pump so my husband or mum can help feed if I have an appointment or whatever.

I'm not introducing a bottle (of expressed) just yet, he's 4 weeks this Sunday.

How many times do I pump a day and when is the best time? I have tried it and get about 3oz between breasts about 45 mins after a feed.

Also with regards to bottles, would it be best to give one bottle a day (and I know to pump so I don't lose supply) so that he is used to it enough?

How do I know how much to give? He'll be 11weeks then.

Thanks

Hi. Congratulations on your little one.

Personally I found that pumping in the evening I got a lot more milk out. You can also add more milk to expressed milk ie; you pump, refrigerate it, pump some more later and add it to what you have in the fridge. That way you can build up a good few ounces and then bag it and freeze it.

Myself and my husband often went out for meals, cinema etc, well about once a month but the only time my LO ever had milk from a bottle was during these times. She did really well and had no problems at all taking the milk, so I personally don't think it's necessary to give LO a bottle everyday, unless of course you want to. It certainly didn't effect my LO having the bottle only when I wasn't there.

Here are some good web pages with pumping info:
https://www.nct.org.uk/parenting/how-express-and-store-your-breastmilk

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/what-to-expect-when-pumping/

I find pumping straight after lo has fed best as then I know it's a while before he needs any more and my boobs are already stimulated. I leave the pot in the fridge and get it out at every feed to top up then when it's full, pop it in the freezer

I also got fed up of the pump and find hand expressing easier and a lot less hassle!

My lo isn't a fan of the bottle n did get quite unsettled with it at the start so I would suggest getting them used to it beforehand especially if u plan on leaving ur lo (we've only used the bottle out but I've always been there just incase)

Personally I like to pump in the mornings as my son cluster feeds in the evening so I wouldn't get as much.
I freeze the milk in doses of 2 or 3 oz, I buy sterile breastmilk freezer bags on eBay, lansinoh brand are good.
My LO usually only takes about 2 oz at a time so I don't want to waste any if I can! Thus freezing in small amounts and only defrosting and heating up what's needed.
OH gives him an expressed bottle 2 or 3 times a week just to keep him familiar with it.

Personally I like to pump in the mornings as my son cluster feeds in the evening so I wouldn't get as much.
I freeze the milk in doses of 2 or 3 oz, I buy sterile breastmilk freezer bags on eBay, lansinoh brand are good.
My LO usually only takes about 2 oz at a time so I don't want to waste any if I can! Thus freezing in small amounts and only defrosting and heating up what's needed.
OH gives him an expressed bottle 2 or 3 times a week just to keep him familiar with it.

No wonder my 8 week old is such a lump (as described by the doctor lol) he's a 5oz each feed kinda guy haha

Thanks all,

He also clusters some evenings, so I wouldn't want to take his milk away. I will continue to do one in the morning and one in the afternoon an hour after a feed.

Should I just do the one breast? (he doesn't take as much on the left), or both?

No wonder my 8 week old is such a lump (as described by the doctor lol) he's a 5oz each feed kinda guy haha

My 6 week old knocks back 4oz already! I'd love to know how much she gets from the breast :wacko:

I have also found pumping in the morning to be much more efficient, usually do it after LO has woken up and had her morning feed (between 5am and 6am). She usually takes the majority of her feed from one breast and then takes a little from the other breast so I pump on that side and get between 3-4oz a time. I only pump once a day as I am nearly always here to feed her myself, I just want a little stash for when I go out and leave her with DH occasionally.

X

He only takes two from a bottle cos he's a wee skitter! Takes loads from the boob as far as I can tell. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->