UPDATE - HAVE TO PAY £15 for a DRS NOTE TO FLY!!!!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by MrsQ, Aug 24, 2009.

1. MrsQ

MrsQ Mummy to Mikey and bump

anyone know if i have to pay the £25 for the signature that you normally need to pay?
    xxx

2. Kota

Kota Mum and Preg!

I would bloody well hope not!! NHS exemption card should surely cover that!! Is pregnancy related after all!! I'd be kicking up a fuss if they even tried to charge.

3. lalalen

lalalen Pregnant with #2 EDD 5Sep

I normally just smile and beg and the doctor will sign it! Just book another appointment about something else then at the end go, 'oh I've got to get this signed by a doctor, I don't suppose you can do it could you?'!!! lol

4. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

I didnt have to pay for my fitness to fly letter.... i would just ask doc, they usually say they will write a letter and you pick it up at the desk, then just hope u get a nice receptionist!>! but i dont think u do...

5. MrsQ

yep have to pay £15 on wednesday when i pick it up!
    I just dont think its fair its not like i am doing it for fun!
    x

6. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

the doc told me i would have to pay £10 when i picked it up, but the receptionist said theres no charge and theyve never asked me to pay since....

7. MrsQ

wonder how i would get out of it then? Shall i say the dr didnt mention it or something and show my maternity exemption!
    x

8. purpledahlia

purpledahlia Mummy

i would just say your here to pick up a fitness to fly letter, I actually asked if i had to pay and she checked and then said no fitness to fly is free for pregnancy.. So i dont know who was wrong, doc or her, but i didnt pay!!

9. MrsQ

i will have to say something like that then
    thanks
    x

10. PieMistress

PieMistress Proud and happy Mummy

How many weeks are you flying at? Is it long-haul?

11. MotherBear

MotherBear Baby No 4 on way

When do you fly? I flew when I was 22 weeks and didnt need a doctors note. I checked with the airline and they said that I could fly up until 38 weeks, but after 28 weeks I needed a doctors note to say I was having a healthy pregnancy and could fly.

12. redpoppy

redpoppy Well-Known Member

Hi there.

I'm flying on the weekend.... will i need some type of note? :shrug:

I hadn't even thought about it! :blush:

13. MrsQ

I only need it cos I have the needles for my injections (fragmin ones for blood thinners).
    Will be flying on sunday to maldives!
    xxx

14. redpoppy

redpoppy Well-Known Member

YAY!!!! :happydance::happydance::happydance: It's going to be beautiful!!!! Hope you have a great time.

not so great about the needle. :hugs: hope you stay well! :thumbup:

15. DizzyMoo

DizzyMoo Guest

Yes in some doctors you are meant to pay for the letters, whether or not it is pregnancy related. A doctor writing out a letter for you is something they charge for usually, some you can get away with not paying so i guess some are lucky some aren't & far as i know the nhs exempt card will not cover this as it not classed as a medical expense.

Even if you weren't pregnant & still needed the letter you would have to pay, Again some docs let you off.
    Normally one of these letters isn't needed at your gestation unless there are some complications in the pregnancy.

Airlines all vary with rules though so worth checking 1st.

16. MrsQ

I have to carry the needles in my handluggage and the airline said they will want a letter!
    x

17. DizzyMoo

DizzyMoo Guest

Yeh they will require it then with them being a " dangerous object " . Or they would ask for them to be put in your suitcase, Its all safety.

Redpoppy no hun in general you do not need one of these letters unless you have been told to get one. So for certain medical reasons, carrying sharp objects (as above) & after certain gestations in pregnancy. The gestation is diff per airline, but you will be fine hun :)

18. MrsQ

most airlines the dr needs to be giving letters at 32 weeks?
    xxx

19. hondagirl

hondagirl Well-Known Member

hi all, Im flying at 24 weeks and dont need a letter, I mentioned it to my midwife and she said that if i did need one the Dr would charge but a midwife probably wouldnt, all depends on how generous they are feeling! if i was 28 weeks then I would need one regardless. thats for a long haul flight by the way.
    have a lovely time in the maldives!!

20. MotherBear

MotherBear Baby No 4 on way

I understand now, it's the needles. Yeah of course I can see why they would require the letter, otherwise they would take them from you at security.

I would imagine if your doctors charge (as most), then they would charge regardless of the maternity exemption certificate.