Updating my "empty sac at 5w6d" story. Ultrasound today at 11weeks.

Isme

Reaction score
I'm updating based on an earlier thread found here:

https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...tests-arent-super-dark-yet-update-pg-4-a.html

I'd already been nervous at the start of this pregnancy. My tests weren't as dark as I thought they should be, though they were progressing nicely. I had an appointment with my midwife at 4w6d. I took two tests before going, and both were nice and dark. (Test line matched the control, and these weren't super sensitive FRERs, either.) I got there and the midwife was really rude and dismissive. She said that my urine test at their office was so light she had to squint to see the test line, and that she was convinced the pregnancy want viable-- and was possibly ectopic. I left there devastated.

They did draw betas and called me the next day to say the results were 664. Not the highest I've heard of at 4w6d-- but not the lowest. And certainly not a level where I would expect them to have to squint to see my test line. WTF?

The nurse was unable to get any blood from my arm when I went back two days later, and my midwife was still concerned about an ectopic, so she scheduled me for a scan. I went for the scan at 5w6d (exactly a week after my first midwife appointment) and they were able to rule out an ectopic. The tech saw a perfect, but empty, gestational sac in my uterus.

Unfortunately, I was right at the stage of pregnancy where an empty sac could go either way. The tech didn't seem very concerned, but all the information I came across suggested that you should be able to see at least a yolk at that point. Many others said they saw fetal poles and heart beats at that point too. I had no yolk. Nothing. Just one perfect round sac. My beta from that day was 7600-something, which meant it had doubled perfectly from the week before... but all I had to show for it was an empty sac.

The midwife blew me off until my appointment at 9 weeks. At that point she was like, "Yeah. We should get another scan to see if there is a baby in there..." But then I asked about trisomy screening, and she said she'd just combine the viability scan with my nuchal translucency scan. Great. Because I wasn't absolutely dying inside from worry already, let's add 2-3 more weeks of torture.

Well today was my scan. I was supposed to be 11 weeks, but I just knew that nothing was there. I've had very few symptoms throughout the pregnancy. All I could envision in my head was the scan picture I got right before six weeks... with that completely empty round sac.

I was honestly not prepared for there to be a baby-- but there it was! One perfect little baby. The heartbeat was wonderful. It was beating at a rate of 171. I couldn't stop crying because I was so relieved. The baby wasn't moving much, but the tech managed to make it mad enough to give us a couple of good kicks. It was one of the best things I've ever seen. <3 She was finally able to get the baby in a good position, and she could see that the NT measurement was perfect. I still can hardly believe everything is actually okay.

So that's that. Thanks for reading all the way through. I just read SO many threads related to tests that aren't as dark enough, betas that aren't super high, and empty sacs later in the 5th week-- and I really wanted to share my update for anyone who might be dealing with something similar. While waiting through these last 5 weeks, I spent so much time searching the internet for any information about situations like mine. There weren't many stories, and many of the ones I did find either ended badly or the poster never updated. I'm hoping this post might be able to help other moms struggling with uncertainty after an unclear early scan. Best of luck to anyone who comes across this!

so happy for you!!! all the agonizing wait was worth it, wasn't it? :)

thank you for sharing this. it makes me hopeful as well. i've had a miscarriage last year so i'm still currently cautiously expecting.

So happy to hear that your little one is growing and doing well. I'm sorry for all the stress you had to endure. Hopefully the rest of the pregnancy will be uneventful in the best meaning of that word :)

I'm so happy for you! So glad to hear baby is doing well :)

so happy for you!!! all the agonizing wait was worth it, wasn't it? :)

thank you for sharing this. it makes me hopeful as well. i've had a miscarriage last year so i'm still currently cautiously expecting.
Thanks! It was worth it! I mean, I wouldn't recommend it, and I hope to never go through that again... but I didn't even care once I saw the baby on that screen. It was the best ultrasound moment I've ever had. Obviously I loved seeing both of my girls during their ultrasounds, but there was never a question in my mind. With both of my daughters I took for granted that everything would be okay. Eight years, one tiny loss, and a rocky start later and I felt just the opposite. It seemed impossible that things could be okay. I'm so glad to hav been proven wrong.

I'm sorry about your loss. I'm glad my story could give you a little hope. Wishing you a happy & healthy nine months!

Aww so happy for you! What a wonderful feeling! :D

So happy to hear that your little one is growing and doing well. I'm sorry for all the stress you had to endure. Hopefully the rest of the pregnancy will be uneventful in the best meaning of that word :)
Thank you. :hugs:

The stress sucked. Seeing my baby waving its little arms around after all that anxiety and uncertainty was the BEST feeling, though. I appreciate your kind thoughts. <3

I'm so happy for you! So glad to hear baby is doing well :)

Thank you so much. :hugs:

That is fab news! :hugs: i am so very happy for you!

I had a scan today as well and all was well and i too never got super dark lines and had early bleeding.
Just goes to show that some things don't automatically mean bad things :)

Excellent news :) so happy for you! And nice to read a happy ending :) x

So happy for you, thanks for sharing your story!!!

Great news! I'm just wondering did they date you're pregnancy from this scan? Just wondering if you were less than 5 weeks when they couldn't see a fetal pole in the sac x

Wow, what wonderful news! I'm so glad things worked out for you.

Regarding your midwife, she sounds pretty awful and insensitive. Are you able to find someone else?

Thanks so much, ladies. I absolutely over the moon. For the first time since I saw a second line I actually feel like this really might be happening. <3

I was the same at my ten week scan.
I've had previous mc s and slight spotting this time.
Only started believing it then.
Its a nice feeling :)
Enjoy
Congrats xxx

Great news! I'm just wondering did they date you're pregnancy from this scan? Just wondering if you were less than 5 weeks when they couldn't see a fetal pole in the sac x

They did date the pregnancy. (My ticker is off slightly.) I was measuring 11 weeks exactly at my scan on the 11th, and last month on April 4th my empty sac had measured exactly 5w6d. 5w6d matches up exactly with when I assumed I ovulated (and conceived, since we only did it once) but the 11week scan might mean that I'm one day behind that. Only maybe, though. Since it was only a difference of one day, the tech didn't think anything of it.

There is NO way I was less than 5 weeks at the time of the original scan. The dates simply wouldn't match up for that, as we only had sex 3 times that entire month. We DID once after AF, once the day after my positive OPK, and finally once after I'd already got my first positive squinter test. I am certain of when I conceived within a 24-hr range (since the egg can drop up to 48 hours after a positive OPK) and the ultrasound measurements of both the empty sac, and the actual baby, back up my calculations perfectly.

That's why I felt it was so important to share. I was absolutely between 5w5d and 5w6d and the only thing visble was an empty sac. There wasn't even a yolk visible, let alone a fetal pole or heartbeat. The lack of a visible yolk is what really bothered me, as I could hardly find any first-hand information of anyone not seeing it late in the 5th week-- even though the basic range to see it is supposed to be between the middle of the 5th week and the beginning of the 6th week. Seeing a fetal pole (with heartbeat) halfway through the 5th week is supposed to be extremely rare, and yet it seems like eveyone and their brother sees exactly that here on the internet-- which is not comforting to those of us in question about the viability our pregnancies. I wanted to offer my story to balance out all the other ones where people totally saw a yolk, fetal pole (smoking a tobacco pipe and playing a tambourine), complete with heartbeat at the beginning of the 5th week. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->