Upsetting doctor appointment

LullabyLover

Reaction score
So I have had a tummy bug and went to my local GP last night as I needed a certificate for work.

I told him that I've just going out I'm pregnant. I also asked if I could get blood tests to check my levels so I can see that they're around the range that they should be. I've had two early losses and my hcg levels indicated something wasn't right both times. I just want the peace of mind.

He the starts telling me that l shouldn't worry about miscarriage. That anything can happen in the first 12 weeks and I shouldn't get attached to my pregnancy until after then. He also said that I should wait to test my levels at around 8 weeks (my mc have both been around 6-7 weeks), when I am "properly pregnant".

I was so upset. I know it's early but I think that as a mother, you get attached as soon as you see that positive test. He treated me like my pregnancy was just a medical condition and not the beginning of my baby. I understand better than some people that mc can happen and there is nothing you can do to control it. I just didn't need a doctor telling me that I shouldn't think of myself as pregnant until I'm 8-12 weeks along. 😔

That's awful! We get attached as soon as we see a positive test - we can't help it. I'd be really upset too. Hopefully you can find a better doctor.

I've been there and I totally agree with you. Implying that you're not "properly pregnant" is awful and I would have been upset as well.

I'm so sorry he said that, it was insensitive and plain wrong. I get his logic but the thing is...love and hope and parenthood isn't all logical. You have every reason to be cautiously optimistic and hopeful and bond with the little life just starting out.

So I have had a tummy bug and went to my local GP last night as I needed a certificate for work.

I told him that I've just going out I'm pregnant. I also asked if I could get blood tests to check my levels so I can see that they're around the range that they should be. I've had two early losses and my hcg levels indicated something wasn't right both times. I just want the peace of mind.

He the starts telling me that l shouldn't worry about miscarriage. That anything can happen in the first 12 weeks and I shouldn't get attached to my pregnancy until after then. He also said that I should wait to test my levels at around 8 weeks (my mc have both been around 6-7 weeks), when I am "properly pregnant".

I was so upset. I know it's early but I think that as a mother, you get attached as soon as you see that positive test. He treated me like my pregnancy was just a medical condition and not the beginning of my baby. I understand better than some people that mc can happen and there is nothing you can do to control it. I just didn't need a doctor telling me that I shouldn't think of myself as pregnant until I'm 8-12 weeks along. 😔

I'm so sorry:( that is awful!!! Some doctors lack such bed side manner it's crazy!! From the time of conception that baby, is a BABY not a piece of tissue!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->