Urinary Tract Infection- HELP!

lolababola

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I messaged here about a week ago because of bleeding. Turns out the bleeding was caused by a urinary tract infection which was mis-diagnosed. I'm so frustrated at the emergency doctors right now for not checking, especially as the doc gave me progesterone which I didn't even need!! And my regular gyno didn't see my urine results for ONE WEEK because of Jewish holidays which means I've been sitting here with the infection and not knowing.

My gynecologist has given me diseptyl forte antibiotic to treat it. He says if left untreated by antibiotics it can reach my kidneys which can be dangerous for the pregnancy.

My worry is that there are totally mixed reviews on using this in pregnancy- the gyno says yes, the women's clinic says yes, the pharmacist told me only if the benefit outweighs the risk, another gyno says not recommended and the medication helpline says it's not recommended.

Does anyone have experience with this antibiotic in pregnancy who can offer any advice?

Thank you SO much, it's been such a stressful day!:wacko:

I don't know about that particular one, but there are definitely other antibiotics that are safe. One is called Macrobid I think. It's really crucial you treat the UTI asap. Maybe run out to a walkin clinic and see if they'll prescribe something else if you're not comfortable taking the other one.

Would depend on the severity of the infection - and by now, i'm guessing it's pretty bad. I don't think that antibiotic is a first line choice for pregnancy, but your ob is obviously weighing up risk vs outcome for you. I had an early UTI with my first pregnancy and simple old Amoxacillin antibiotic was used. Did the job - but this was an infection I didn't even know I had - it just came up in my routine early trimester 1 testing.

I would talk to the doctor that prescribed it again, if you are unsure. Just for piece of mind.

Goodluck x

Would depend on the severity of the infection - and by now, i'm guessing it's pretty bad. I don't think that antibiotic is a first line choice for pregnancy, but your ob is obviously weighing up risk vs outcome for you. I had an early UTI with my first pregnancy and simple old Amoxacillin antibiotic was used. Did the job - but this was an infection I didn't even know I had - it just came up in my routine early trimester 1 testing.

I would talk to the doctor that prescribed it again, if you are unsure. Just for piece of mind.

Goodluck x

Goodluck x

anti biotic is the very first choice with a uti in pregnancy expecially when a uti can cause preterm labor or m/c if goes unchecked..

I apparently have one ( I had spotting at 5 weeks 3 days ) and I have my wee tested at 5 weeks 1 day and apparently I've had white blood cells in my urine since then and I'm 7 weeks 1 day and only just got antibiotics yesterday! They tested me for STIs and I'm like I don't have any I've been with the same person for 10 years! And sure enough the test comes back clear, and the numbers of white blood cells dramatically rising in the last two weeks which means the infection was getting worse and worse. The Dr goes to me oh well I'm still not 100% sure what it is but it's probably a UTI. I'm on keflex which is safe. I'm so annoyed. Do have to go back 10 days after I finish the antibiotics and have my wee tested again to see if its cleared up.
I would t worry too much about the progesterone if anything that only helps.
Drs these days are so hopeless it's very frustrating.

Hi ladies, I just wanted to say there have been studies linking Macrobid with birth defects. The study is fairly new so a lot of the doctors and pharmacists still think it is ok to take. It is still classed as a "Class B" drug safe for pregnancy. I was told there are safer drugs such as keflex. Definitely research even if your doctor prescribes it. I took the Macrobid for 3 days before my RE told me that it increases birth defects.

Okay, so i checked Dr google to see if i could find any studies in the past year that indicate an increase in birth defects with nitrofurantin, and the only things i found were an article from 2009 which said it, but then information from 2011 which basically said that the study that was done was skewed because at least 1/3 of the women couldnt remember what the took otherwise during their pregnancy, so it could have been another medication that caused it in that case...when i was taking a class b medication that moved to a class c med, there were atricles on the manufacturer's site, and a bunch online to support it, so i stopped taking it before i even knew i was pregnant....most of the sites that came up were topic boards where people had posted unknown sourced information, not any medical boards i could find..

Okay, so i checked Dr google to see if i could find any studies in the past year that indicate an increase in birth defects with nitrofurantin, and the only things i found were an article from 2009 which said it, but then information from 2011 which basically said that the study that was done was skewed because at least 1/3 of the women couldnt remember what the took otherwise during their pregnancy, so it could have been another medication that caused it in that case...when i was taking a class b medication that moved to a class c med, there were atricles on the manufacturer's site, and a bunch online to support it, so i stopped taking it before i even knew i was pregnant....most of the sites that came up were topic boards where people had posted unknown sourced information, not any medical boards i could find..

yea, i get utis all the time expecially pregnant and that is my docs choice to give with uti and if they caused birth defects with the amount i took im sure one of my babies would of had a problem..i get utis like almost every two to three weeks...

i wouldnt worry about the meds the ob will not give u something to hurt your baby and that med has been around for ages...

My information came from my RE who said they no longer prescribe that medication. I think the 2009 study was the one he was referencing but no further studies have been done to refute or confirm their findings. I didn't feel comfortable taking it so I stopped in the middle of my course. Just be sure to talk to your dr and do what you feel comfortable with. I took it despite my reservations and kinda regret it.

Hey first of all, I wanted to say sorry that your doctors were so incompetent!! I have plenty of experience with UTI's pre-pregnancy, but not much since, so I can't be of much help to you!

I'm a bit concerned though because your story sounds similar to mine! I had a small amount of bleeding (could be from a hemmeroid also, sorry, gross tmi I know, but true lol) and also had a slight burning sensation and spasming feeling in my urethra that felt similar to a UTI, but ONLY at night/early morning when I'd get up to pee. I went to my doctor who tested my urine and said everything looked fine, no infection, and she'd even send it off to a more advanced lab to test further but if I didn't hear anything it was fine. Well, I didn't hear anything, but often, I experience the slight burning sensation and spasming when I pee at night/morning. I'm just as concerned as you that I might have an infection of some kind that hasn't been treated all this time! I just don't understand if I did, why it wouldn't show up in my urine? My doctor said it's possible that I have "cystitis" just in terms of inflammation? Or that my urethra is just really irritated from peeing so much?

Is this common? Sorry, lolababola, wish I had more answers for you and me both!

My information came from my RE who said they no longer prescribe that medication. I think the 2009 study was the one he was referencing but no further studies have been done to refute or confirm their findings. I didn't feel comfortable taking it so I stopped in the middle of my course. Just be sure to talk to your dr and do what you feel comfortable with. I took it despite my reservations and kinda regret it.

i trust my peri and my ob...and im a nurse and that is the BEST MEDICATION during and after pregnancy for a uti...its the one it responds to most and fastest and honestly think there would be more out there then just what your saying if there was a true concern..mean while this is what ill be taking and telling people to take pregnant or not...nobody stopped prescribing it that i know of so :shrug:

Thanks everyone so much! This support is really amazing!!!

SkyWalker did you ask the doc why you could be getting the burning? Maybe it's worth to go for checks again somewhere else?

After I wrote the post, a friend of mine who is recently graduated doctor did research for me and told me that one of the elements in the antibiotic i was prescribed has shown up in research as causing harm on animal foetus' and hasn't been tested on humans- that's why there's confusion over it. It also stops the absorption of folic acid which can be risky in the 1st trimester. He was talking about-trimethoprin

I felt really uncomfortable taking it so went back to the gyno who prescribed me cefuroxime which is Class B and more safe during pregnancy. I'm also taking probiotics. I think it's really taught me to do additional research because sometimes other options can be found and it's so much better to take something that you're comfortable with!

LOts of love to everyone and a happy pregnant day to you all :)))))

Thanks everyone so much! This support is really amazing!!!

SkyWalker did you ask the doc why you could be getting the burning? Maybe it's worth to go for checks again somewhere else?

After I wrote the post, a friend of mine who is recently graduated doctor did research for me and told me that one of the elements in the antibiotic i was prescribed has shown up in research as causing harm on animal foetus' and hasn't been tested on humans- that's why there's confusion over it. It also stops the absorption of folic acid which can be risky in the 1st trimester. He was talking about-trimethoprin

uncomfortable taking it so went back to the gyno who prescribed me cefuroxime which is Class B and more safe during pregnancy. I'm also taking probiotics. I think it's really taught me to do additional research because sometimes other options can be found and it's so much better to take something that you're comfortable with!

LOts of love to everyone and a happy pregnant day to you all :)))))

they give animals a gazzillion times higher then they would give humans...that would give anything a problem...
when you look that up make sure you understand that as well...

to me the there still one med pregnant and not its the best to help uti especially if you keep getting them...it also gives you less thrush which most anti biotics and penicillins do, and that is such a plus especially pregnant...which then adds yet another medication in the mix if you get it. who wants to be taking two meds which of course increase risks of so many things as well...

feel better hun,

but always remember when trying to learn something learn it correct..
when they animal test they give it nearly a deadly amount to prove a point..
ps they need to stop animal testing period!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->