• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

US Government shutdown

Natsku

Reaction score
So the shutdown has begun - has anyone here been affected by it? How long do you think it will last? Do you think a compromise will be reached?

Yes people are being effected by it. Those on food assistance won't get that help this month. 800,000 people will be furloughed and many others will have to work for free.

It's a bunch of bull shit. Disability applications won't be processed. Disabled veterans won't get the help they need to deal with things like PTSD.

I could go on. I blame the government. I have said it for years. Our government consists of two parties that absolutely HATE each other and will do anything they can to sabotage the other screwing over the American people. I personally think they all need to be fired and we need to start with a new government, but I'm sure I'm in the minority!

I have no idea what this is about, DH was just mentioning about a trillion dollar coin being commissioned to pay debts during it?? But my goodness people not getting their usual assistance, what is this exactly? I haven't read anything on it, anyone have any links for dummies?!

Ok this says food assistance will go out but the verran services will be shut down except for the main hospitals...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-about-how-the-government-shutdown-will-work/

Unemployment, food stamps, Medicare and WIC will all continue. VA care should also continue, as it's funded a year in advance, but there will be fewer employees to give the care. IRS audits will stop, national parks will close. GI Bill payments will eventually stop, but the military will be paid. Consulates will run til money runs out, passports will stop being issued, but the mail will still run. This all according to what I read on NBC News and MSNBC this morning.

I live in a very large military area, so a lot of my civilian government friends are affected.

Am I right in thinking the "non essential" employees may well not get paid, the article seemed to suggest there was no set rule either way?

Am I right in thinking the "non essential" employees may well not get paid, the article seemed to suggest there was no set rule either way?

Yes and unfortunately, this will carry down to the state employees as well. I'm in limbo waiting to hear if I'm "essential" to the state to get funding for my position. I'm very stressed at the moment.

Yes and unfortunately, this will carry down to the state employees as well. I'm in limbo waiting to hear if I'm "essential" to the state to get funding for my position. I'm very stressed at the moment.

That must be so stressful :hugs:

Its so weird the idea that the government can "shutdown" like that and just stop paying people.

Its so weird the idea that the government can "shutdown" like that and just stop paying people.

Yes and retro pay isn't promised. It has to be passed by *gulp* congress!!

Yes and retro pay isn't promised. It has to be passed by *gulp* congress!!

Can't believe that they can just get away with it, its terrible!

Woah and I thought our country was in a bad way! Hope all the Americans here and their families and friends are okay and get through this soon! :(

Woah and I thought our country was in a bad way! Hope all the Americans here and their families and friends are okay and get through this soon! :(

thank you. I worry about gas prices and food prices if this prolongs...

That is so shocking I'm really sorry must be so stressful, I can't imagine having to worry about my own finances just because the government can't make their mind up?! I bet they're all still getting paid?

That is so shocking I'm really sorry must be so stressful, I can't imagine having to worry about my own finances just because the government can't make their mind up?! I bet they're all still getting paid?

Yes because how ironic that they voted an amendment in the constitution that says if fed government shuts down, they still get paid!!!

I want lay offs alright....I can name 535....

This is madness :nope: I hope this doesn't affect all the US ladies too much :(

Well word came through...they aren't furloughing but cutting 60 positions where I work. ...more limbo for me.

This is why I despise conservatism, particularly the US model. How evil are those who oppose a care bill that will treat the ill and not ill alike. In no other sphere is such discrimination more rampant than in the flawed private health insurance system. These people need to grow up and challenge to change the system democratically and not lament and punish what the vast majority of americans support.

It seems so childish really, they tried so many times to oppose it and failed so now they do a last ditch attempt which is resulting in lots of people not knowing when they're going to get paid next :( Just makes me think of a toddler throwing a tantrum because they didn't get what they wanted.

I'm very naive about the subject, I want to say this is over "obamacare"? I've not understood the anger against medical help for all, possibly because we have it here? I'm so confused and would love some enlightenment. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->