• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

US Government shutdown

I'm very naive about the subject, I want to say this is over "obamacare"? I've not understood the anger against medical help for all, possibly because we have it here? I'm so confused and would love some enlightenment. :flower:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/30/us-shutdown-explainer-non-americans

Essentially what they are saying is that Obama-care is unaffordable, despite it creating many jobs. The act will offer subsidized benefits for the poor who have no insurance (50mill) and those with pre-existing medical conditions towards healthcare who were previously excluded. The rich and middle classes don't like the tiny rise in premiums, hence the whining. One republican congressman has been quoted to have said that the party will not be "disrespected". I wonder how many families he will see go hungry in order to feel respect.

It has gotten very childish. Now if you own a home on federal land, you aren't allowed to go home. Obama has the attitude "it's my way or the highway". I try to remain party mutual but when you commend (like VP Biden did) park rangers for making people's lives a living hell then I'm sorry I consider you to be on a power trip. I don't agree with either side.

Tiff to answer your question, it is just making everyone BUY health insurance which many can't afford. I like NHS system but many of the people don't agree with it here. Imagine getting a hospital bill and you are still paying on it FOUR years after? but we don't need a government ran system...bull shit.

You can't go home if your home is on federal land? Thats insane!!!

That is crazy! I've tried to look up and find where its stated that but haven't been able to find anything about it. I'm confused though, how do you own a home/land on Federal property? Wouldn't that mean that you don't technically own it, the country does?

Not saying that it isn't happening, but just that I am the first to admit I do not know much (if any) about property rights or anything really that goes on in the States. :flower:

I saw that furloughed workers will be getting paid though, which is good news. That's not fair that the politicians still get a paycheque but not the rest of the governement employees. :nope:

Yea I am all for socialized medicine like the NHS but Obama Care is really buying insurance and also those tiny premium boosts actually went up a thousand a year for my friend who is a part time teacher. However if the people don't want it we stand up for that right and congress needs to get over their hissy fit and while we're shut down stop getting paid! It's an abomination to see hard working federal employees not getting paid but the kids running the place who started this shut down are..... Sorry this just rubs me the wrong way.... *huff* off my soap box now lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->