US Ladies...20 weeks ultrasound

Pne1985

Reaction score
I am suppose to have our 20 week ultrasound in a month to check the gender and whatnot. But we just got an expensive bill from the first one and was wondering if you can opt out of getting the 20 wk one? Also, can't they do bloodwork instead to determine the sex of the baby? I thought maybe I would ask to see if they could do that instead. But was wondering if anyone else did the same?

Are you covered by health insurance? I thought insurance was supposed to cover scheduled ultrasounds. There is a blood test but it costs 130 and that is with me having really good insurance.

I'm pretty sure the 20 week ultrasound is to check that the baby is developing properly which is why it's the longest one. Gender is just a bonus of that lol personally I wouldn't opt out of that one even with a large bill. I've been having issues with my insurance saying my doctors office is in network but the bill is coming from a different room in the same building, which means they're out of network? Idk it makes no sense but I'll still be going to my 20 week even if i have to figure the out of pocket cost and go in circles with the insurance company some more lol

I would definitely not opt out. The 20 week scan is to check the anatomy of baby from head to toe go make sure they are developing correctly.

If you're in the US you can apply for medical assistance. Most people don't because they don't realize they will most likely be covered. Also the 1st year of baby's life is covered. If you get denied most hospitals offer discount options. You HAVE to call the hospital billing department and ask them. There are options to help soften the medical bill blow.

I definitely WOULD NOT cancel it as this is a critical US for baby.

I agree, the 20 week scan is massively important for checking things are going well with the baby, I certainly wouldn't opt out. Luckily for me, I live in the UK where these things are covered by the NHS, but a downside of that is that sometimes the care you receive is very functional and the services are stretched. It can seem quite cold and clinical at times and make you feel a little neglected. I have had a private gender scan here, but was told at the anatomy scan that the original gender scan was wrong, which was backed up by further private gender scans. The anatomy scan gave me a lot of peace of mind, and while I love the extra effort that is put into private scans I feel more reassured by the 'official' ones that look at everything and where the health of the baby is the primary concern as opposed to the added extras of gender reveal and lovely photos xxxxxx

Like everyone has said, the 20 week scan is important. Amongst many other things, they check for heart defects that might need repairing ASAP after birth and early detection can make a huge difference to the outcome. It's such a shame you have to weigh up money against health where you are but I think if you can scrape together the money somehow then this one's essential.

Thanks ladies. We have insurance through upmc, it is one of the better ones but it's just so sad that we still have to pay so much out of pocket let alone every month. And we definitely have the money, it's just a shame that you cant get ahead because of how unfair it has become for the working man/woman. And not that I don't think it isn't crucial for the babies health, I am pretty realistic and ready to accept whatever including health and gender. We didn't find out for our son. But I know they didn't always have ultrasounds and it seemed fine for the most part. I just wasnt sure if there was any other way to get around it that wasn't as costly.

You could apply for medicaid for pregnant women. My neighbor is a teacher and her husband also works full time and she still qualified. It covered everything for her. And like others said, the 20 week is an anatomy scan and probably the most important one. You can opt out of it if you want (you can opt out of anything you want regarding medical care), but I wouldn't if I didn't absolutely have to.

Have you thought about looking for a free clinic? I use to live in Los Angeles, and I would see clinics advertising free prenatal care and ultrasounds for qualifying women ALL the time. I'm sure these clinics are available in most major cities.

Some insurances don't cover the 12 week NT scan, but cover more of the anatomy. With my last pregnancy I had to pay more for the NT, but only the copay for the anatomy...you can always call your insurance to find out

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->