US Ladies- Lactation Consultant

Jaymelynn

Reaction score
How do you find a Lactation Consultant? Do you have to pay for a consult?

I had a lactation consultant for free for the first year through WIC. Maybe check into that to see if you qualify. Also, I know the hospitals have info on breastfeeding support groups.

You could also see if there is a le leche meeting anywhere near you. They at least probably have a help line. You could also call your pediatrician's office. They have one at mine.

There are two at the hospital I delivered at. They offer free private appointments and hold a weekly support group for moms at the hospital. Try calling your hospital to ask.

Mine was through the hospital. Visits from them while I was there were included, but once I went home, it cost for me to see them. I called a few times, which there was no charge for, and went to a couple of their monthly support meetings, which were also free.

I would call your hospital and ask them, just as a starting point.

There were quite a few at the hospital that I delivered at. My son's pediatrician's office also had a lactation consultant on staff when we lived on the East coast. My current ob's office has a lactation consultant on staff. They're everywhere!

Contacting local LLL leaders is a good idea. Insurance should cover any visit you have with a lactation consultant, I would look over your plan though to make sure.

I always called my local WIC office if I needed any help. They would even call me every now and then to check on my daughter and see how breastfeeding was going. They were very helpful and supportive. And still are now that im switching to formula.

There is a free support group at my local hospital and two LCs walk around and help everyone. They also weigh your baby before and after a feed.

The two LCs also have a private LC company where they make private visits to your house, and of course that costs money.

I used one through the hospital. My insurance covered 100%, both inpatient and outpatient.

Call your insurance and ask if it's covered. Mine is not but the hospital offers an outpatient bf clinic for FREE!

Thanks everyone!! I met with a LC at the hospital right after I gave birth, but the hospital is pretty far from me. I will try calling local hospitals. I will also call my insurance to see about coverage- I didnt think about that.

Found a La Leche League meeting near me for this Saturday!! Now I have to convince someone to get me there, lol. I dont drive ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->