US vs UK

Jadelm

Reaction score
Ok so we've established that the UK have meat pies and in America they don't... which I STILL JUST DON'T BELIEVE!!! :haha:

What else is different.. is there any slang you US girls don't get when we say it and vice versa?

I find it real interesting cos mostly I forget that we're all on like total opposite sides of the globe!! xxx

would a pot pie be like a meat pie? It has chicken/turkey and vegetables and gravy

I sometimes forget that some people on here are from the US until I hear a mention of Walmart!
Ooh ooh ooh...health insurance! It's not such a big deal over here, because if we want it done privately and can afford to then we'll pay for it, but if we can't afford it then we still don't go without, which I think is good :) But then obviously the NHS has its drawbacks!!!
So that's something else different :)

Oh yeah DUHH the NHS is kinda a biggy!!
And our welfare system in terms of benefits and housing I think is really different right?

And I think yeah a pot pie is kinda like a meat pie.. does it have like a pastry case all the way round? x

Ah yes, healthcare.
Though all states offer insurance at discounted rates and everyone is eligible for it (it's really cheap, I think my sister and I's was like $15 a month), a lot of people just don't realize it.

I don't believe you can get funded housing here...or grants for it.

Insurance makes me mad. I wish it was easier to just get it for your baby then worry about how I will afford it or get it etc.

Slang is different with what the baby sleeps in, lol. Cribs in the US are Cotbeds in the UK, while Cribs in the UK are Cradles in the US. And I think you say baby vests/babygrows for onesies here? The little one piece thing that snaps at the crotch with short/long sleeves.

Oh yeah, benefits are quite a big difference too, especially with housing!
See, to me, a meat pie is like a pork pie. No messing around with gravy, just meat...and pie :)

We have state insurance for people who dont have the money, so its kinda like NHS but it can take months to go through the application process which is annoying..but we have more of a choice of where/who our doctors are.

I think the benifits system is different

Education is differnt isn't it?
xx

and yeah, your guys housing sounds LOADS better than in the US, maybe its just in my area, but I would never want to live in Gov't funded housing, too much drugs/gang problems.

Insurance makes me mad. I wish it was easier to just get it for your baby then worry about how I will afford it or get it etc.

Slang is different with what the baby sleeps in, lol. Cribs in the US are Cotbeds in the UK, while Cribs in the UK are Cradles in the US. And I think you say baby vests/babygrows for onesies here? The little one piece thing that snaps at the crotch with short/long sleeves.

Completely! I won't even being to pretend that I've gotten my head around the words for baby clothes, sleeping places etc. I don't think I'll ever quite understand it!

Oh yeah DUHH the NHS is kinda a biggy!!
And our welfare system in terms of benefits and housing I think is really different right?

And I think yeah a pot pie is kinda like a meat pie.. does it have like a pastry case all the way round? x

yep they are soooo yummy

Y'all call them Pushchairs and we call them Strollers. LOL I think that is right. Also, took me forever to figure out what a nappy is! I believe they are the same as diapers here in the US.?

Ah yes, healthcare.
Though all states offer insurance at discounted rates and everyone is eligible for it (it's really cheap, I think my sister and I's was like $15 a month), a lot of people just don't realize it.

My insurance is 400 dollars a month =/. I had to get it through Cobra through my mom's job. I probably could have been eligible for state insurance, but I like my doctors a lot and my parents are willing to pay it until the baby comes, but with the new insurance laws it looks like I can go back on their insurance at a regular premium, arianna won't be covered though and I have to get either private insurance, a full time job, or state insurance for her, and the first two aren't gonna be easy.

Y'all call them Pushchairs and we call them Strollers. LOL I think that is right. Also, took me forever to figure out what a nappy is! I believe they are the same as diapers here in the US.?

Yep, a nappy is a diaper! That's about the only one I definitely know :blush:

Ah yes, healthcare.

My insurance is 400 dollars a month =/. I had to get it through Cobra through my mom's job. I probably could have been eligible for state insurance, but I like my doctors a lot and my parents are willing to pay it until the baby comes, but with the new insurance laws it looks like I can go back on their insurance at a regular premium, arianna won't be covered though and I have to get either private insurance, a full time job, or state insurance for her, and the first two aren't gonna be easy.

Can you put her on Medicaid?

Ah yes, healthcare.

Finn's going to go on state insurance I actually need to call this week..

Adrianna should be covered for the first 30 days on your, or your parents insurance though.

and yeah, your guys housing sounds LOADS better than in the US, maybe its just in my area, but I would never want to live in Gov't funded housing, too much drugs/gang problems.
agreed!
i think we have a thing where they give us money towards rent though.

Yes our schooling is different. We go elemantry, Middle school, High school. Which go from Preschool, Kindergraden 1st grade through 12th grade. Then we have the options to go to College which can be as long as a year or less to more than 4 years. We also normally start school at 5 1/2 to 6 years old and graduate 12th grade around 18 or so.

Oh the whole strollers/pushchairs thing confuses me anyway.. but it might be because of the US/UK thing and I just didn't realise!

To me, a buggy or a pushchair is like a proper big travel system thing, a stroller is just one of the little chair ones that snaps up dead small, and a pram is one of the traditional style horizontal ones.. that's how it works in my mind anyway :haha: xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->