Using a dummy

tinyme77

Reaction score
Hi,

I've read previous posts about using dummies but wanted to find out how early everyone started using dummies if at all. I'm feeling a bit of a failure as i can get my baby to sleep in my arms after a good feed but he often wakes up when i put him down. Using a dummy puts him to sleep. And so far he spits it out when in deeper sleep. He's only two weeks and i keep reading that he shouldn't have one until 4 weeks to ensure that BF is established.

Joseph had one really early but at that point he was having both breast milk and formula so having bottles anyway (so i don't think in his case it would have made much difference, if that makes sense) x

Mine stopped using his around 3 months old- he has zero interest in it now.

i've voted never as daisy will not have it at all tho i've tried from about 1 week old - i've spent loads on loads of different types but she will NOT have any!!!

if a dummy works for you and your baby will still take breast then go for it !!:hugs:

sara

xxxxxx

ruby takes one.. she seems unusual in that she doesnt really want it to get to sleep, but she likes it after shes had a feed as she seems to like to carry on sucking even tho shes not hungry anymore.. She is fussy tho, ive tried loads of different types, but the only type she will have are the MAM silk ones, with the little textured bit on the teat, even the plain MAM ones she wont entertain!

I offerd it to her around 2 weeks, but she wasnt interested at all.

She hasnt had it since then, but at her 16 week jabs last week i gave it her after she had them and now she loves it!!

If your bf, you shouldnt give a dummy before 6 weeks, bottle feeding it doesnt matter.

I read on another thread that they should have them after 4 weeks when they go to sleep in their cots to help prevent cot death. This isn't the original link but it contains similar advice.

https://www.healthline.com/adamcontent/sudden-infant-death-syndrome/2

Do you know why they would intefere with BF? I'm only letting him have a dummy when he is going to sleep. I hope that won't interfere as it follows a good feed.

I gave all 3 of my BF babies a pacifier from birth or within a day or 2

she used it from birth but we currently got rid of it :D

As long as BF is well established you can start using a dummy. My lactation consultant also confirmed that. We started at 3 weeks and my LO has no nipple confusion with it. I started because I noticed she just wanted to suck after a good feeding and was on the breast for a little too long.

I tried offering her the pacifier from birth essentially (she is FF)... but she wouldn't have it.. still refuses it, spits it out etc.. so I've given up, lol.

MegGem - thanks for that it makes me feel so much better. That seems to be exactly what i am experiencing. He sleeps really well and quickly with the dummy and seems to feed really well. I'm getting plenty of wet and dirty nappies and he loves to feed.

Amelie refused the dummy. She would take one if I held it in until she was about 3 weeks old then she'd just force them out with her tongue.

i voted never as i have never offered a dummy and dont intend to since ive got this far without one lol

Mady has used one since she was a day old. She likes to just comfort suck and I can't sit there with my boob in her mouth all day while chasing around after my 16 month old. :rofl: She hasn't had any nipple confusion at all, though, which is great. Aiden never used a pacifier, though. He just wouldn't take one.

i put less than 4 weeks because i started a few days after we got out of hospital

bethany was about 3/4 weeks. she was bf and didnt have any trouble. we decided to give her one coz she started sucking her thumb. i decided its easier to wean her off a dummy then a thumb. i sucked my thumb till i was 7 and only stopped as i broke my hand. she only has it for naps/sleeps. i'm personally not a fan of them walking around with dummies at 3/4years old. we'll wean her off about 1year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->