Using Cloth - where to start?

wishuwerehere

dh, me and 2dds
Reaction score
So I've been using disposables since Isabelle was born and she's now just shy of 5 months. I never really thought about using cloth nappies but lately I've been wishing I had thought about it a bit more before she was born and thinking maybe I'd like to give it a go, as when I take all the rubbish out from her nappies sometimes I want to cry!

But the thing is, I'd have no idea where to start? Is it too late to change? What would I need? Do you need different nappies at night or when they start solids? Are they hard to use? Did it take long to get the hang of?

But the thing is, I'd have no idea where to start? The articles in my siggy will give you the lowdown of whats out there and some examples of nappies.

Is it too late to change? it's never too late, better still they can be used for baby no.2,3 etc

What would I need? nappies, poss wrap depending on the type of nappy you choose, a lidded bucket, a wet bag for out and about and some liners

Do you need different nappies at night or when they start solids? no need to buy specific nappies for night - some people do as their LO's might be particularly heavy wetters at night, as for solids there's not special nappies but you can boost the absorbency of most nappies

Are they hard to use? No, they're not difficult, there's no longer the need for pins and folding with modern nappies, just an extra few wash loads a week depending on the number of nappies you invest in.

Did it take long to get the hang of? not really it becomes second nature quiet quickly, no more running out to the shops when you run out! :)

check with your local council and see if they offer and cloth nappy incentives.

also everyone has different nappy needs, you may find it's trial and error to find the perfect nappy, in the same way disposible nappy brands can leak etc the shapes etc of cloth nappies vary too, so it's best not to invest in too many of one type until your sure they work for you! :)

Basically everything littlestar said! :thumbup:

I would say a good place to start is with day use and then add in going out and about in them too and then night use IF it feels a bit overwhelming to start with. The only reason I say this is because it felt a bit overwhelming to me and I started with day use and am only now starting to use them out and about and still not using them on a night. The reason I am not using them on a night is because although I have a few different types of nappies non of them would make a suitable night nappy (maybe my son pee's too much!?!) so I need to purchase something more practical. However it is quite possible the reason I felt a bit overwhelmed is because of trying with a newborn and sizing/leak issues that you get with small babies (clearly finding nappies to fit at 5 months would be fine). :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->