Using dummy and breastfeeding for comfort

I never gave Omar a dummy during the day when he's awake even when he was a baby, there are always other ways to comfort him other than offering him a dummy. I dont have a problem to use a dummy or breast for comfort to settle at bedtime/naptime or when they'r sick/not feeling well regardless of their age. But I will never offer an older baby/toddler a dummy for comfort when s/he is fully awake & alert.

I'm pro-bfing & I support NIP & extended bfing, but I dont like to see a toddler taking out his/her mum's breast for a comfort suck then going back to playing. The same with using a feeding bottle & dummy for comfort sucks during the day.

i have no issue with babies having dummies & obviously as a BFer, I have no issues with BFing, lol. BUT, I do issues seeing kids walking down the street, laughing, chatting, skipping etc with a nice big dummy in their mouth for no apparent reason. It seems odd to me. i can understand why parents give a child a dummy if they're hurt, upset, comfort sucking (in younger babies), a way to settle them to sleep or for helping with reflux, but there seems to be a culture among *some* parents to let their child have it in their mouths either all the time, or give it to them to 'shut them up,' which is never a good thing. (obviously not everyone who uses a dummy thinks that way of course!!!) I have seen in my area, kids coming out of school in their uniforms giving their mum a big hug, getting in a push chair which looks far too small for them, then mum giving them a dummy without batting an eyelid!!! That just seems a bit 'wrong' to me.... Can you imagine the uproar if a school aged (let's say 5) kid ran out of school, hugged mummy, they went to a bench in full view of everyone & mum discreetly whipped a boob out to Bf her child there and then? People would go mental!
I personally think people look down on BFing past the 1 year mark, and then look down on dummy usage after about 3, just from my experiences though.

Grace still has a dummy for at night time and if she is upset/tired in the day. It's never hindered her speech. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a comforter whether it be a boob or a dummy but I do think that both should be stopped before they begin primary school (so about age 5) because that's when they need to start becoming independent. They can't take a boob or a dummy to school and I think there needs to be a point where they have to learn that they can't rely on these things.

i think the dummy has a sort of "here suck this and shut up" attitude around it.. because we ALL know someone who uses it that way so it gets a stigma .... plus breastfeeding for comfort is TOTALLY different from sucking a dummy one is the close bond between a mother and child and the ova is .. well a dummy :D ahh x

I cant stand dummys/pacifiers. I bf and I would let them suck for comfort anytime over giving the dummy. Bfing isnt linked to damaged teeth whereas there's a few things linked to using a dummy. As for pain relief, I'd say thats a legit reason to bf, my lot have had bad reflux and I would spend ages bfing mainly in the evening as there little tummies would hurt and I considered it my job to not only give the relief of the sucking but the comfort of cuddles:shrug:

There really isnt a comparison, 1 is a natural need the other is an artificial device, weird that society made it taboo to comfort your child the way we're designed to do after your child is around a year when they are very much still needing it. Just my opinion of how I parent though:flower:

I think soothers are looked down upon by some after a certain age group. Hannah (almost 3) still uses hers to sleep at night and for naps only and we still get comments from family :roll: She just isn't quite ready to give it up yet & honestly I'm pretty much okay with that.

ETA: We introduced the dummy because she was such a sucky baby and it was either that or her thumb! I figured at least I could throw the soothers out after a certain period of time, not so much with her thumb :rofl:

Also for the sleep and speech issues I believe those only come if you let your child have the soother all day and talk around it etc. We are very strict (since 1 year of age) with Hannah only being able to use her soothers in her bed. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->