USS today/Gestational sac/high hcg

CharlieKeys

Reaction score
So by my LMP I should be 6+1, but I know I ovulate late and have a 33-35 day cycle which would make me around 5+2.

so I had an ultrasound today and there was an empty gestational sac. I am a midwife so I came out confused as the sonographer said it’s fine and my dates are likely to be out. But the EPU nurse said to prepare for the worst and sent me for my beta hcg - so I came back to work and the consultant went to have a a look. He came back and said the sac was measuring 5 weeks, it was nice and circular and in healthy uterine tissue not suggestive of miscarriage and his personal opinion is I’m 5 weeks.

My beta hcg levels came back after a couple of hours and they were 13865 so they don’t want a repeat draw just a repeat scan.

arw those levels normal for 5 weeks?

Sorry I posted before I finished...

Has anyone got any success stories with an empty sac and then a repeat scan it’s ok?

Oh boy yeah forget the standard LMP, I also have long cycles and my scans never matched what they were ‘supposed’ to. I was always about 8 days behind because of my long cycles.

An empty sac is totally normal at 5+1, you should be able to see baby in about a week. Sorry they stressed you out!

It’s just because there are such differing opinions.

I literally only just thought about the late ovulation/long cycle after I came out of the appointment & then remembered the same thing happened with my younger two where I thought I was 12 weeks by LMP but she said I was 9+6 and 10+2 and she said I must have ovulated late.

and are the high hcg levels a concern? She doesn’t want to repeat my bloods tomorrow as she said they’re a decent range, but it seems to be higher than the 5 week average. I only deal with babies over 16 weeks really so this is all new to me

Yeah if they don’t know you have long cycles they’ll tell you it’s abnormal dating but it is completely normal.

I think hcg varies quite a lot - I’ve heard girls have higher hcg!

When I was pregnant with my dd I had my 7 week scan and they told me I was only around 5 weeks with an empty sac. Then when I told them I didn’t get a positive test until I was already 10 days late for af those dates matched. I went back 2 weeks later to see a perfect little heartbeat and spot on babe.....and she’s now 5.5 yrs old :) reaaaaaally sucked have to repeat those 2 weeks though lol. The early weeks are so stressful and I had to go through weeks 5 & 6 twice! Lol hope it works out for you too

I really hope so! Have my rescan tomorrow morning and I’m so nervous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->