usually "good" baby has screamed since Wednesday lunchtime non-stop

loeylo

1DD, 1 pup, WTT#2
Reaction score
My LO is 8.5 months, has slept through since 4 weeks. Naps brilliantly and feeds like a champ.

She is allergic to cows milk which may or may not be a contributory factor here.

Anyway, she has screamed almost non stop since Wednesday lunch. She is okay-ish if being held, but wont nap independently, wont play independently (even for literally a minute) and has stopped sttn!

She isn't hungry, isn't cold/warm, isn't overtired, isn't in any obvious pain (we gave her anbusol and Calpol which didn't help) and when she wakes up at night she falls asleep as soon as we lift her (after maybe 5-10 minutes of attempting to soothe her in her cot, but our neighbours have a newborn and the walls are thin)

We did recently, on dietician advice, reintroduce non prescription formula, which we are guessing may be an issue but she started back on it 2 weeks ago and was fine up to this week!

I'm at my wits end. I have been getting so frustrated that I feel myself lifting her out the cot more abruptly/harshly than I should (after attempting to settle her 20+ times) and I even put her in her cot so I could go to another room and cry because I was so wound up that I may have hurt her if I didn't. Obviously I never would actually hurt her, but i had to get away from her.

I actually stood at her cot calling her names yesterday. Its ridiculous but I just cant deal with the constant 24/7 need for attention. She wont settle for her dad, ut has to be me.

My sister took her for a few hours and she was, quote, "good as gold, didn't cry once" - gee thanks!

No real point in this post. I think I need to address the pnd I have ignored for the last 8.5 months ...

I feel your pain Hun. I have been where you are. My daughter is also allergic to cows milk. She is 19months old now and doing really well with little bits of milk in foods.

I would suggest stopping the milk that you are giving her. He sounds like she is having a delayed reaction to it. Why your dietician told you to stop her prescription milk is beyond me. They don't usually do that until after 1 as she still needs milk as her main sauce of food right now plus she needs the calcium. What milk do you have her on at the moment? If the doctors are not giving you prescription milk maybe you could try soya (although my daughter is allergic to that too as the protein is similar to cows milk) or oat milk, koko milk, almond milk. Anything will be better than cows milk or the other powdered formulas in the shops.

I really feel for you, it's a horrible situation to be in when they just cry constantly or want to cling to you. Don't think you are on your own when you say you pick her up more harshly or have to leave the room for fear of hurting her. Hey at least you are leaving the room rather than hurting her. It's not nice being at that line but you haven't crossed it.

Honestly Hun stop the formula you are on and tell your dietician you need prescription milk back. Xx

No advice as you know W is younger than G but sending you some big cuddles :hugs:

Thanks both of you.

The reason we reintroduced it was due to my own GP never doing a follow up to check if cmpa was the issue, so they wanted to try her on original formula - they are still giving us nutramigen. We did switch her back to just nutramigen on Friday night.

That's the third consecutive night we have been up with her now. I need sleep!

Big hugs, it's tough when they suddenly change like this but it is just a phase and she will get back into her routine, just keep telling yourself that and schedule in lots of time for yourself when your OH or your sister can help. As everyone else has said I would swap her back to nutramigen. DS also had issues with milk and even now at 13 months can't tolerate normal formula but has been fine with cows milk in his food and yoghurt/cheese etc since maybe 9 months. He now loves drinking massive amounts of cows milk. Maybe once your DD is through this phase you could try introducing cows milk in her food instead of swapping her formula?

My lo has just been put on nutramigen (puramino) due to cows milk allergy - suspected.
When I was talking to the dietician she said that it can take two weeks to have an effect on your child so I presume the same may be for normal formula getting into her body? It might be that she seemed ok but now it has got into her body its reacting with her again.
Massive hugs, we have had a nightmare six weeks and she is still crying and screaming most of the day now 😞

Thanks both of you.

The reason we reintroduced it was due to my own GP never doing a follow up to check if cmpa was the issue, so they wanted to try her on original formula - they are still giving us nutramigen. We did switch her back to just nutramigen on Friday night.

That's the third consecutive night we have been up with her now. I need sleep!

Your GP shouldn't need to do a follow up, if your baby improved with nutramigen then they usually automatically say yep it's CMPA. Why they would want to make your child suffer is beyond me if the child has been fine with nutramigen. I dunno I am no doctor but just seems very silly. You are in charge not them. Do what you think is right from now. It will roughly take 2 weeks for the normal milk to leave her system again now so hopefully the crying won't last for ages unless she is going through a rough patch. 8.5months is around the time they have a little regression. She isn't teething is she? Not having something else in her diet that could be upsetting her? Reflux? I know my daughter suffers bad with reflux if she has to much cows milk which leads to a few bad nights.

I hope your little one is soon back to a normal sleeping pattern. Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->