Utterly terrified but maybe I just need to pull myself together...

katy1310

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who replied to my thread the other day about our baby going to be coming very early.

We have been back at the hospital today and I don't really know how I am feeling or what I am thinking. It was good in that the scan was looking better - more fluid round the baby today, and the baby was jumping and kicking like nothing on earth. However, there was more protein in my urine today - it had jumped from 0.3 to 1.3. The blood tests were better than the other day, but my blood pressure was a little bit up again and that's on the tablets.

We had a better paediatrician come to talk to us and he told us a lot of helpful info but he did say that at 26 weeks there is a chance the baby will not survive. I always knew that but just hearing someone say it was too much and I could not stop crying...I've just been a wreck on and off since then.

DH said the paediatrician didn't know any of the background to our story at the time - he was talking as if I was just 26 weeks rather than a couple of days of 27 weeks, didn't know I'd had the steroids, didn't know that our baby seems to be very strong in all other ways with a really strong heartbeat and lots of movement and that he would just be giving us the statistics of any 26 week baby rather than our particular baby. I know he had to say to us about the survival thing but it was just too hard hearing it.

The consultant came back and talked to us again and said they are probably looking at delivery within the next 10 days. I know that each day that passes will make a difference but I am still scared at having a baby so early.

I am also terrified at the thought of the caesarian, and now we have to transfer from the Borders General up to the Royal in Edinburgh. Apart from all the worry about the baby, I am absolutely petrified of hospitals. I had two miserable nights in BGH last week and had just kind of begun to get used to that hospital, it's not too big and fairly manageable - but now we have been told this afternoon that I am being seen at the Royal tomororw and my consultant has a hunch they may want to keep me in. I know this is probably not a big deal to a lot of people but to me, the thought is terrifying! Just the thought of going to a bigger hospital that I don't know, being kept in a ward with other people (I'm really shy and private) and on top of all this, the huge worry of when is the baby going to arrive, fear of the c-section and is the baby going to be ok.

I feel like I am cracking up today...just feels like more and more is being piled onto me and I don't know where I am going to get the strength to cope. I have hardly stopped crying all afternoon.

I just feel like there is no hope for our baby and I know that's stupid, I know there are so many great stories out there but I just can't seem to get myself out of this black hole. It probably doesn't help that even just at the beginning of last week, I didn't know any of this was about to happen, it's all just been so fast and I really feel like I can't hold it together any more.

I dont know if this will help you much but i read that after 27 weeks. Your baby has 90% chance of survival. I really wish you the best of luck! I may have to have my baby early as well. Maybe at 32 weeks. I know that this is not as early as yours but i understand your worry and really do wish you, your partner and your baby all the best!!! xoxoxox

I think I replied to your post before! I have only been flicking through past few days because I havent been too well.

Its always very scary thinking about having a prem but you need to have hope!! You have to help your baby fight through this and baby is gonna need mummy to be strong.

I had a c section and it was not as bad as I had thought. If you are unhappy about anything you have been told, seek another opinion..

The staff at the hospital will do their best to help you and your baby...

Hope this helps hunx

Katy, it may not be very reassuring but it sounds as if your team are doing everything they can to try and give this baby the best possible chance of survival, even if that causes you some aggravation such as changing hospital. You have to stay focussed on your baby.

Crying is good, it relieves tension :hugs:

And c/sections might sound terrifying but I found mine quite weird and surreal - walking into the theatre pregnant, and being wheeled out 20 minutes later to the recovery room! With any luck you'll end up in a single room rather than on a ward.

i dont know what else to say but your in the best poss handsxxxx

ps totally forget the section i promise its not that bad

xx

Hey there,

Sorry I've not replied sooner. My Archie was born 27 week exactly and is doing just fine. I totally understand how your feeling as I was there too last year. It's the fear of the unknown and of the national average statistics that really get to you. Honest hun, you will be able to cope and you will have a lovely baby out of it. Have you had your visit to the neonatal unit yet? You will find this pretty scary but when your baby is there, it will become home for a while and you get to find it quite tranquil. Strange but true. Try also to talk to other Mum's whos babies are in the unit too as its these guys that will help you cope with your journey and beyond. Only they truly know what you are going through. I've made 5 of them friends for life now.

I completed a journal every day whilst Archie was in hospital (95 days) and you are more than welcome to read it. It helped a few other Mummies on here whilst they were going through their journey.

Click here to access it.
www.babyandbump.com/parenting-journals/105275-little-archies-journey-get-home-beyond.html

Keep us all posted - thinking about you xx

Hi I am not sure how much you know about reduced fluid around the baby and hope i am stating the obvious :) When my water levels was low 2.7 i was told to drink 1ltr water every other hour during the day and it does help the levels but dont drink just before a scan as it can make levels look better then they are for example my scan showed 4.5 on the wenesday but showed 7 on the friday AFTER drinking loads to make baby move as she was being lazy and on the day of induction the monday so only 3 days later i didnt drink before the scan and my levels was 1.5

Sorry no help with the premmie side as my baby wasnt as premmie , I want to wish you loads of luck for you and your baby :hugs: xxx

hunny both me and dona were at the Royal and i promise you they work wonders!

The royal has accomodation too if you wish to stay at the hospital. I stayed for a good week after discharge.

You've had the full steroids too, my Alex didnt and she still did well, so theres every hope xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hunny, I think I replied to your first post, please, please, it's normal to feel this way, lots of hugs, i know it's difficult to relax but that's just what you need right now, every day counts and 10 days will put your baby in a much more better position to survive. This is the milestone i'll will be working towards and hopefully go further from there. the steriods work wonders for the lungs, if your baby is strong and fine inside, trust me all will be well. my first one was by CS and 2nd natural birth. Even at 1lb the pain was unbearable and i always say that given the choice, i'll opt for CS anytime. Be positive and be encouraged that all will be well. Your baby is fine.

xxx

While I was in labour the midwives seemed SOOOOOOO confident that Alex would be OK.

Your LO will be at least 27 weeks im guessing by then - and there was a lot of 27 weekers in the Royals neonatal when Alex was born - they all went home well!!!!!!

If you need an ear or a friend, I'll be up there on the 22nd March, just PM me ;)

Hope everything goes ok at Edinburgh today, hoping little one will stay put for a while.
Can't begin to imagine how you are feeling, but wanted to say thank you to everyone for the support you are giving her, makes me believe in people again, and happy to be part of this forum!
I have known Kate through my OH for a few years now, and know worried she has been right from day one.
Been a long road for you guys but you'll get through it. Thinking of you. x

Katy

I am hoping that things go well for you at the ERI today.

We were the ERI too. I had a high rick pg and was under consultant care from 6 weeks. Emma was born almost 5 weeks early and spent time in the neo natal unit. The staff there are wonderful and very supportive. I was on the ward for 3 days but was moved to a private room as my baby was not with me. I then stayed in the neo natal unit ward (4 beds). Do ask if you can be in a private room. There are not many of them but do please ask.

They are a centre of excellent and you are both going to the best place.

lelsey
x

Hi Katy, I run a support drop in sessions at the royal. The first one is the 17th April. You should see a poster up about it or speak to a nurse. Come along!

Hope everything goes well. As Sandi said the royal is a fab hospital infact one of the best in the uk. They hold the highest percentage of survival rates for prem babies xx

just wanted to thank u all for your support. am possibly getting kept in the royal till baby comes but luckily i got a private room as i was finding it too distressing in the ward. had a tour of scbu and we feel reassured after seeing a 24 weeker doing well.

had a scan and the lady said baby was practising for using its lungs so that has to be positive?

Yup defo hun, thats half the battle done!

You got loadsa support hun, Dona sent me a mail about 2 days after Alex was born and supported me throughout. :hugs:

I'm glad to hear that you are being well looked after. I know it will be hard to be away from home but really you are in such a good place. Hoping that you can hold on for a bit longer yet
xx

Fab news they are taking care of you!

Loads of hugs and good luck x

Just thought i would update, Kate has been told she will be having the baby this afternoon. Wishing her and OH all the best.

Kate - wishing you all the best. I can only imagine how scared you must be.

Lots of love. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->