• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Vaccine Adverse Reactions...Worth the Risk?

Not only do I vaccinate, but we also have our firstborn participating in a study for meningicoccal vaccinations to help determine the effectiveness of our province's current vaccine schedule for that group of nasty bugs. I'm glad to be part of the process of research and refining our already very effective vaccination program. Hopefully, our participation leads to even better vaccinations for future generations of kids.
And I am another voice from a science background that finds pretty much all anti-vax material I have come across to be rather questionable from a scientific standpoint. To the point where I have trouble understanding why there is such a debate on this topic. There are way worse things that our kidlets will face, I think.
For example, I am also far more concerned about environmental toxin exposure than I am about vaccinations. :shrug:

As a degree educated microbiologist I have to say that I am pro vaccinations as I am very very well educated to what these diseases can do, especially to children. I also believe that parents are very well informed of side-effects of these vaccinations, and certainly in the UK we have to sign a consent form to say we will allow the vaccination to take place, we get given a booklet at birth containing a lot of information about the vaccinations and there is 8-10 weeks before the baby is vaccinated so if you have any further questions or research that you want to partake in there is plenty of time.

What many people don't realise is that it only takes a very small minority of people not to be vaccinated for some of these diseases to re-establish themselves within a population and that the vaccinations do not nessecarily stop you from getting these diseases, they primarily give your body a secondary response to something that it has already encountered so gives you a better chance of surviving it if you do happen to catch it.

The vaccines very rarely have any major side-effects on children these days, only in a very very small percentage do they cause problems, any minor side-effects such as raised temp, rashes etc are only caused by the immune system defending itself against the pathogen which ultimately is the aim of the vaccination program.

On the other hand, if we all stop vaccinating and diseases like the plague and small pox come back then something like 50% of all children will die, child mortality has decreased amazingly since the introduction of vaccinations. At the end of the day it is every individual parents choice and responsibility to decide if they want to vaccinate but on a personal level I have had two friends on life-support in their teenage years due to meningitis scepticemia and would definitely not like my son to go through that just because I decided not to vaccinate him.

Excellent post!

Thank goodness you're a BnB member Lynz! I'd urge everyone who is anti-vax to read this post and weigh up what they've "researched" and compare with the thoughts of people who are educated and work in the field.

The scare-mongering, I have always believed, is mostly unsubstantiated. And unless you know the science, I'm not sure we're in a position to discern what is (and esp. what isn't) evidence.

My hubby and I have been on the bridge about vaccines...We did decide to get his hepatitis b shot when he was a day old. As far as I was concerned or knew, he would not be getting more til 4 months. When we went to his 2 month checkup, our doctor weighed and measured him, and then pulled the needle out and stuck him. Without consent, or anything. I was very unhappy. I didnt think she could do that. I was planning on getting information about vaccines to make the decision, but apparently its not mine to make. So, needless to say, we havent gone back to our family doctor.
There are a few i wish him to have, but i do not believe they are all necessary. Unfortunately, they do not package them seperately. There are at least 2 different vaccines in each needle.
And, this means he will end up having to be home schooled because children are not allowed into the school systems here unless they have had all their vaccines.
So, doctor giving surprise jabs without telling me, and not being allowed into school without them sounds like fear mongering to me. Give them their jabs or your screwed

I personally am a big believer in vaccinations. However I dont believe in giving multiple vaccines at once. One or two ay a time is good in my opinion.

I believe in vaccinations for my son...I will also vaccinate my other son when hes born. I personally will also make sure that ppl in my household are up to date on any reccomended vaccinations before my baby is born as most vaccinations cant be given at birth.

I dont understand how people can say that vaccinations arent important...they are what protects our children from getting sick...and trust me..these diseases are in general much worse then any reaction to the vaccine.

On another note, I also vaccinate my pets. I have 2 dogs and a horse and my family has cats. They are ALL up to date on there shots. I have seen horses get sick and die of diseases that can be vaccinated against...and I have watched as horses who were vaccinated against the disease didnt get it.

Id rather deal with a reaction then have my child or a pet die.

Think of the rabies vaccination...you occasionally see a wild animal with rabies...but its fairly rare now adays...but can you imagine if people didnt vaccinate there pets? If the rabies vaccine didnt exist? It would be a MUCH bigger issue... a wild animal would transmit it to a pet, who could transmit it to other pets as well as potentially to people. Thank god for scientists and doctors who have been able to protect us against horrible diseases. :-D

My hubby and I have been on the bridge about vaccines...We did decide to get his hepatitis b shot when he was a day old. As far as I was concerned or knew, he would not be getting more til 4 months. When we went to his 2 month checkup, our doctor weighed and measured him, and then pulled the needle out and stuck him. Without consent, or anything. I was very unhappy. I didnt think she could do that. I was planning on getting information about vaccines to make the decision, but apparently its not mine to make. So, needless to say, we havent gone back to our family doctor.
There are a few i wish him to have, but i do not believe they are all necessary. Unfortunately, they do not package them seperately. There are at least 2 different vaccines in each needle.
And, this means he will end up having to be home schooled because children are not allowed into the school systems here unless they have had all their vaccines.
So, doctor giving surprise jabs without telling me, and not being allowed into school without them sounds like fear mongering to me. Give them their jabs or your screwed

I'm not sure where you got your information, but hopefully you will be happy to hear that you have all the choice in the world when it comes to vaccinating your child in Canada.
This quote is just for Ontario. I didn't look up all the rest of the provinces and am not sure where you are in Canada? Anyway, it is not required to have immunizations to attend school here. You have the option of getting the exemption.

Is immunization required for attendance at school or day care in Ontario ?
For children attending school in Ontario, a written immunization record or proof of immunization is required, by law, for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles, mumps and rubella unless there is a valid written exemption. Parents/guardians are required to provide this information to their local public health unit, and to update the information as necessary.

Children attending licensed childcare centres should be immunized according to their age and as recommended in the Publicly Funded Immunization Schedules for Ontario - 2009 or as current. You may contact your local public health unit for more information.

You may decide because of medical, religious or philosophical reasons not to immunize your child. In this case, you will need to provide a valid written exemption to your local public health unit. If the disease appears in your child's school or childcare centre, your child may have to stay out of school/childcare until the disease is no longer present.

https://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/immun/immunization.html

It's unfortunate that your doctor assumed that you were both familiar with and accepting of the vaccination schedule here. All the public health clinics I've ever been to here in Alberta require an appointment that discusses the vaccinations at length and give you a chance to ask questions well before any needles get brought out. :shrug:

Does anyone have any information on SIDS statistics with regards to vaccines? I read in another thread somewhere they a test was done in Japan i think and that they recommend doing vaccines after the gae of 2 years old because before that there is an incresed risk of SIDS.

Our LO has had his first lot of joabs at 2 months, plus the hep b at birth, but im not sure i want to continue the vaccine course due to the SIDS thing, even if it IS a low number, surely, anything that helps prevents SIDS is worth doing, so if waiting till my LO is 2 for his jabs is surely better then doing them now or not doing them at all?

Im really confused and upset about this. I want whats best for my baby, but i honestly dont have a clue what that is anymore. I feel so miserable about it.

Personally I have a lot of faith in the vaccination system in place in the UK. I do acknowledge that there are cases where a child has had an adverse reaction to the vaccination, sometimes minor and sometimes, sadly, very severe. However, after reading the horrendous consequences of a baby/child contracting one of those diseases I have no doubt that vaccinating against them is best for us. Imo the chances of an adverse reaction are much, much slimmer than actually contracting one of the diseases. What would happen if everyone decided to rubbish the vaccination system and go against it? Surely a lot of these diseases would once again become rife, even sending children to school would be risking infection.
When my daughter was very poorly after birth she was rushed straight to NICU, I didn't see her for 4 hours. When we did get to go in to see her she was already hooked up to 8 different drugs, all of which were keeping her alive. I wasn't asked for my consent to give her these drugs, they could have contained anything for all I knew, she could have had an adverse reaction to any number of them, but they saved her life and I am forever thankful.
So for anybody that is anti vax, would you go as far as to refuse the drugs offered to treat one of the diseases that you would not vaccinate against in the first place?

PepsiChic.. here is the advice from the World Health Organisation:

https://www.who.int/immunization_safety/aefi/immunization_misconceptions/en/index4.html

It suggests there is no rise in SIDS from the expected amount after vaccinations x

https://www.who.int/immunization_safety/aefi/immunization_misconceptions/en/index4.html

It suggests there is no rise in SIDS from the expected amount after vaccinations x

Thank you, that was a very interesting article :thumbup:

I did look for an article for the other stance to show a fair view for both opinions but i couldn't find anything i consider to be credible!

Grace had a reaction to her MMR and was in the hospital for a week or so. The problem was an increase in her temperature and she suffered fits. This was a problem that Grace herself had at the time with controlling her temperature and a nasty bug could have had the same effect on her. She has since had her top up vaccinations as we believe that the illness' she could get by not vaccinating are far worse and could infact result in death.
I trust vaccinations completly and Grace and this baby will be having them when they are due. I also believe that if people choose not to have the vaccination there is a real risk of irradicated disease's coming back and causing real problems for future generations xx

Grace had a reaction to her MMR and was in the hospital for a week or so. The problem was an increase in her temperature and she suffered fits. This was a problem that Grace herself had at the time with controlling her temperature and a nasty bug could have had the same effect on her. She has since had her top up vaccinations as we believe that the illness' she could get by not vaccinating are far worse and could infact result in death.
I trust vaccinations completly and Grace and this baby will be having them when they are due. I also believe that if people choose not to have the vaccination there is a real risk of irradicated disease's coming back and causing real problems for future generations xx

I totally agree with this

I also think its interesting that in Canada you have to have your vacs to go to school. I think thats a good idea cos I dont want Rhys to get sick cos someone hasnt had their jabs imo

I also think its interesting that in Canada you have to have your vacs to go to school. I think thats a good idea cos I dont want Rhys to get sick cos someone hasnt had their jabs imo

Sorry to harp on this, but you are NOT required to have vacs to attend school here in Canada. If you are opposed to vaccinations, you can request an exemption. It is your right to refuse them. Which is why I found it interesting that the poster who stated that did not take the 5.5 seconds it took me to verify that info on the net, yet had no problem accusing the Canadian vaccination and health system of "fear-mongering" because of her individual experience. I understand that it would have been upsetting to have your child receive a vaccination that you weren't expecting, but the immunization schedule, school vax policies, etc are easily accessed and verified on government websites. Before condemning the whole system, maybe it is important to take a few moments and do some basic research? That would have prevented all of the confusion and upset, it seems to me? :shrug:

Anyway, off-topic.

It's interesting that the conversation has turned somewhat to the "common good". When it comes to things like vaccinations, my neighbour's choice not to vaccinate could have a detrimental affect on my children, should an exposure occur before my baby is old enough to be vaccinated. Granted, I assume a certain amount of risk with my baby just taking him out and about. But now that I have a toddler, my newborn's exposure to various bugs will be higher. I agree with other posters on here that I would be very angry if my unprotected newborn were to suffer for someone else's decision not to vaccinate. Especially when the anti-vax material seems primarily to consist of conspiracy theories and anecdotes, not sound scientific study.
Does that mean I think that vaccinations should be mandatory?
No. I would still like choice involved for everyone. But a certain degree of scientific literacy is vitally important for people to make informed choices. I see a real lack of that in the anti-vax community and it concerns me greatly.

Sorry to harp on this, but you are NOT required to have vacs to attend school here in Canada. If you are opposed to vaccinations, you can request an exemption. It is your right to refuse them. Which is why I found it interesting that the poster who stated that did not take the 5.5 seconds it took me to verify that info on the net, yet had no problem accusing the the Canadian vaccination and health system of "fear-mongering" because of her individual experience. I understand that it would have been upsetting to have your child receive a vaccination that you weren't expecting, but the immunization schedule, school vax policies, etc are easily accessed and verified on government websites. Before condemning the whole system, maybe it is important to take a few moments and do some basic research? That would have prevented all of the confusion and upset, it seems to me? :shrug:

Anyway, off-topic.

It's interesting that the conversation has turned somewhat to the "common good". When it comes to things like vaccinations, my neighbour's choice not to vaccinate could have a detrimental affect on my children, should an exposure occur before my baby is old enough to be vaccinated. Granted, I assume a certain amount of risk with my baby just taking him out and about. But now that I have a toddler, my newborn's exposure to various bugs will be higher. I agree with other posters on here that I would be very angry if my unprotected newborn were to suffer for someone else's decision not to vaccinate. Especially when the anti-vax material seems primarily to consist of conspiracy theories and anecdotes, not sound scientific study.
Does that mean I think that vaccinations should be mandatory?
No. I would still like choice involved for everyone. But a certain degree of scientific literacy is vitally important for people to make informed choices. I see a real lack of that in the anti-vax community and it concerns me greatly.

Sorry I just got that of a earlier post.
Naughty Missy, reseach a answers before you post dont trust what has been said

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so cranky!
It wasn't your mistake! :flower:

thankyou, i will do some more research a well though. i think its important to hear both sides of every argument :)

If you are a perfectly healthy person having a perfectly healthy pregancy it's terifying to go get a flu jab, likewise if you have a perfectly healthy baby it's against all your natural instincts to go and take them to be vaccinated. I think it's that fear that leads people fall in to the anti-vaccination group.

The world is healier due to vaccines, I don't think you can really argue with that on the whole, but individual issues with different vaccines do exist and the anti-vaccine side of the argument will always focus on these and the pro-vaccine side will always play them down.

I think that's all there is to it really, we all want the best for ourselves and our children and do what we feel is right. I like the fact the anti-vaccine side look for problems with the vaccine programmes - we do need that in society, we need people to question everything so we can get to the truth.

Personally I am pretty pro-vaccine but I think these debates about vaccines can get a bit too heated sometimes, when every poster on here just wants the best for themselves and their families.

The flu jab is a bit different though. I wouldn't get it (dunno about h1n1 while preg, different issue). Most people will either not catch seasonal flu or will be fine after having it. But for those who are vulnerable to it, it's a different matter. I would certainly get the jab if I suffered with a lung condition for example. The benefits of vaccines I see are to protect vulnerable people and to work towards eradicating very serious diseases that would otherwise be extremely common. There are risks with every vaccine, just as there are with pretty much every medicine, and I think it's good to be exposed to illness to build one's immune system naturally too, but there has to be an awareness of relative risk. Where the aim is to eradicate a disease the herd immunity is crucial and when this breaks down it opens the door to new mutation which in turn puts everyone at risk again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->