valacyclovir, Desperately need Ladies to come forward

jadesh101

Keira&Seren
Reaction score
Hi There,

Bit of a personal one, but don't know where to post this

A friend lost her baby in pregnancy, and has only now heard that the drugs she has taken (prescribed) could of had nasty effects to baby even when the doctor said it would be fine to take. She was on 1000mg of valacyclovir because she has a syndome called stevens jhonsons syndrome basically its an allergic reaction to the coldsore virus so if she have a cold sore it could possibly kill her.

Is there any ladies out there who have taken this drug and could of had the same reaction, or has heard anything about it ? My friend is desperate for answers and doesn't know where to turn thanks xx

Im so sorry for your friends loss :-(

From what I have skim read, the drug you mention is iffy in pregnancy. I dont think they know much about it because there are differing opinions available online.

I would think that the benefits to your friend would have outweighed the risks from taking the medicine, especially of her own life would have been at risk from the herpes virus, if you see what I mean. I dont know how to word that tlright

I hope I've got this right from what you have said, has she spoken to the dr that prescribed this?
What a horrible situation, :hugs: to you and your friend

Im so sorry for your friends loss :-(

From what I have skim read, the drug you mention is iffy in pregnancy. I dont think they know much about it because there are differing opinions available online.

I would think that the benefits to your friend would have outweighed the risks from taking the medicine, especially of her own life would have been at risk from the herpes virus, if you see what I mean. I dont know how to word that tlright

I hope I've got this right from what you have said, has she spoken to the dr that prescribed this?
What a horrible situation, :hugs: to you and your friend

As far as I am aware she has spoken to said doctor who said she was fine to take it.

Thanks hun :kiss:

your not supposed to take it during pregnancy unless the benefits out way the risks- which in this case they did. it was an informed, understandable decision so she shouldn't feel guilt. there is very limited research done and people don't come forward who are on the meds, so they can't make heads or tails of it. I've researched it and there is no PROVEN negative affects of use during pregnancy- yet it was only on the basis of one small study.

basically- she did the right thing. not taking it would have been much more risky.

hope this helps x

What the other ladies said.

I would add, I lost a baby and you want to find the reason, so you can fix it and it not happen again. My doctor mentioned that having had a bad flare of gallstones which affected my liver was probably the reason, but I'll never know. You do what you can with the information you have at the time, I don't think anyone had blame here, drugs can not be tested on pregnant women, so you can never garentee a drugs safety in pregnancy.

I later went in to have another pregnancy, a twin pregnancy, this time around 16 weeks gallbladder problems again, ended up with pancreatitis and it could have killed me, I had to have drugs,which were not approved for pregnancy, and then I had to have surgery to removed my gallbladder, I was told it was 50/50 for my babies, but doing nothing, it it happened again, we may not be so lucky. I did it and my babies are now 11 months old and healthy, sometimes things work out and sometimes they dont.

So sorry for your friends loss, she did the right thing, the doctor did the right thing. It may have been the drugs, but it may just have been one of those things, it's hard to tell and so many of is suffer a loss, it's so much more common than people think.

Again, so sorry for your friend, the pain of losing a baby is horrible, it gets easier, I lost my baby on my birthday and I dread everyone. This January will be the 2nd annivsary of that, it's hard, but it will get easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->