Vanishing twin?? kind of miscarriage?

Mrsgoodhart

Reaction score
I'm 9+4 today, and a week ago I had a massive bleed with clots and tissue and a lot of watery fluid that smelled like the amniotic fluid when I had my son.

I was convinced I had lost the baby, but my doctor wanted me to go to the ER for a STAT ultrasound and see what was going on in there- we were all shocked to discover a baby, measuring basically on track with my dates, and a beating heart! I was diagnosed with a large SCH and sent home to be on bedrest.

Yesterday I followed up with my OB and when the sonographer did my ultrasound, she said she couldn't find a bleed but couldn't tell me more. My doctor brought some pictures in and explained that she is nearly positive that it was not a SCH at all, but a failed twin pregnancy. She showed me the "bleed" and pointed out the decidual reaction around it, just like the gestational sac right next to it that has a healthy baby inside. This explains a lot, like....why I was positive I lost the baby, and the tissue I passed, and the watery fluid that gushed out of me. And alllllll that blood.

I'm still on bedrest as she wanted to be absolutely sure we play it safe since there had been a teeeeeeny little spot on the first ultrasound that looked like a bleed. I will go back in two weeks to see what is going on in there and will probably be released to go back to work then, but she said by all means this should not affect the remainder of the pregnancy. I hadn't known I was pregnant with twins to begin with, so this comes as a shock.

Has this happened to anyone? Have you lost a twin and gone on to have the surviving baby? Any complications? Normal pregnancy and delivery and healthy babe?

There is a gal here, I've seen her post a few times, who was pregnant with quints I believe, and lost 2 babies and now has 3 little ones on the way. So just from seeing that I assume losing a multiple doesn't mean the surving baby won't be a healthy one :) I know I've seen others post their stories about losing a twin and their surviving baby did great :) good luck!

I lost a twin at 9 weeks and have a healthy 11 month old! There were no complications during the pregnancy at all! My dr told me the chances are good that the remaining twin will make it!! So I think you'll be fine! Hang in there! The unknowns are difficult!

Heeeeeey girly. No advice for that, but you will be in my heart. Praying for you a healthy pregnancy. Dont worry luv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->