• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

VBAC and induction

MrsM17

Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to gather as much info as poss. I am wanting to try a vbac this time but wanted to know anyones experiences for induction.

Were you induced? What was your hospitals policy regarding this?

not had my Vbac yet but my hospital will induce. they recommend constant monitoring as the risks of rupture increase and they will let you labour for 10 hours.

have you got a consultant appointment booked?

Thanks, yes its after my 20 week scan x

My hospital would induce cautiously. I was booked into have waters broken at 41 weeks ( was 2-3cm at my sweep and measuring big since 27 weeks. Went into labour spontaneously at 40+6 and he was born vbac just 4 hours after first painful contraction! 9lb 4! Good luck with your vbac

My hospital will only induce using the (foley/cook) balloon method, which is drug free. Then they'll break the waters and they expect labour to progress at 1cm per hour. Thankfully I went into labour before my dd.

Tried for VBAC with DS (now 16mo). Was advised would not be allowed past 41 weeks. Had a sweep at 40 wks; was admitted at 41 wks for ARM, as 2cm dilated. Not allowed a pessary. Given Syntocinin drip, laboured for a couple of hours to 4cm then had emergency section for fetal distress.

Currently hoping for VBA2C. While consultant is 'supportive' advised, best shot is spontaneous labour and does not want me to progress past 40 wks (due to age). Will not be allowed Syntocinin.

To be honest, for me personally induction did not have a good outcome, but for many people they are absolutely fine. Having read around it a lot recently am left wondering how I might have fared without ARM and the drip, which do seem to lead to more interventions.

Currently considering requesting be allowed to go to at least 41 weeks to try for spontaneous labour. The stats they use to advise early induction (if all else fine) seem a bit weak. Even for me at 40+ they are based on 1 in 400-500 risks, which I believe are thought to be due to placental deterioration.

I had an induction for my attempted VBAC when I had ds2. I was induced at term +8 with a pessary. 7 hours later I had a second pessary coz things hadn't really started. Then they left me overnight and in the morning I was dilated just enough for them to break my waters and I was put on a syntocinon drip to try and move things along. On the drip i was continuously monitored. After a while ds2 started getting dips in his heart rate so they tried stopping the drip to see if that helped - which it did but then I still wasn't progressing. They put me back on the drip and his heart rate started dropping again with contractions.
I ended up with a second emcs due to failure to progress late night on my second day of induction.

I live in Canada and here they don't allow (that I know of) chemical inductions for a vbac. They do allow sweeps and the balloon method though. Also here, they prefer not letting you go past your due date if you are attempting a vbac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->