Vbac

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just looking for some reassurance. With my first LO I ended up having an emergency c-section due to poor fetal position and fetal distress. I ended up having the drip to speed up contractions, pethidine and an epidural. I really want to avoid a repeat cesarean this time and so I just want some advice.

I have met with a consultant at the hospital and she is happy for me to attempt a VBAC. Hospital policy is that I would have to go into hospital as soon as labour started and be monitored constantly from the get go. I would also have to give birth in the hospital birthing suite.

This is not what I want! I am scared that if this was to happen, I would inevitably end up with another c-section. I have requested intermittent monitoring, the ability to use a pool (against their advice) and also asked what the possibility is of giving birth in the midwife led unit. They have said that at the end of the day it is my choice, but that they would not recommend it. I will need to meet with the midwife superior to discuss using the birth centre, but this is literally next door to the hospital birthing suite separated only by a door so I can't see why I shouldn't be able to.

My question is, am I asking too much? I know there are added risks, but there are risks with a c-section and the thought of the recovery again with a newborn and a 4 year old frightens the life out of me! I don't want to come across like I don't care about the risks, but I want to make an informed choice - not just follow what they recommend as I believe that this would lead to interventions which could affect my chances of VBAC.

Sorry for the epic post!

Hey,

I'm going for a VBAC and know exactly how you feel. I had to change my doctor as my first said 'she wouldn't recommend it'.... And as I had already done lots of research into risks etc I knew there was no reason why I couldn't. So now I have a doctor who is happy for me to go for it.
I had a csec 20 months ago due to failure to progress and I am worried things cold go the same way but I just want to be able to have a go and now I realise births are just so different there is no reason it will be the same.
My doc has said hospital policy is continual monitoring but I basically told him it wouldn't be happening and he said he would 'see what he could do'. At the end of the day I think if you are willing to be really strong about what you won't tolerate- there is nothing they can do. They can't make you or kick you out and thy have no rights to do so. It's your body and your birth.
I am having a doula who I think is going to be really useful- she's already told us that there are plenty of ways round some of the hings we've been told will 'have to happen'. The monitoring is to basically cover their backs if something happens- but she said they can just document that you wouldn't have it- and they can use a hand held device every now and again.

I'm in Kenya so can choose my doctor and it's relatively cheap to get a doula- so it may be more difficult- but I would advise finding someone who is really supportive of your decision. Maybe find a midwife who is all for VBAC's.

I found with my first labour- I kind of got pushed around a bit and didn't know what to expect- but feeling much stronger and positive this time so 'actually, no'. How is you oh? Would they be able to voice your views strongly?

And as for going straight into hospital- that's one thing I definately won't be doing no matter what my doc says. And it's one thing the doula will be able to help with. I plan to stay at home for as long as possible.

Read up as much as you can so you've got all the facts to use to fight your case and I really think finding someone to talk to will help- its so reassuring when someone says 'yes of course you can do it! And you can do it the way you want!'

Of course you're not asking too much! I am having a HBAC mainly because I don't trust the hospital staff not to rush to intervene, if I'm at home they can't! But if there's any cause for concern I'll go straight in. My consultant has said it's against medical advice but my midwives are fine with my decision.

I've just had a VBAC. In the beginning, I wanted a home-birth but after all the research I did and after giving it lots of thought I decided to labour at home and give birth in hospital (and I'm really glad I did as there were quite serious complications.) But this is just my experience, not typical of everyone :)

In reply to your post, no you're not asking too much. I ended up agreeing to constant monitoring due to complications, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Some hospital rooms have wireless monitors, and even with the wires you can get out of the bed and use the birthing ball e.t.c.

As you've said yourself, its your choice. Don't let anyone talk you out of what you want because its easier for them. Just do your research and be aware of the risks, and have a back-up birth plan for if things don't work out.

I thought the same as you in terms of being more likely to end up having a c-section if I was in the consultant led part. I thought the stress and "structure" would make me a lot more anxious, but it actually didn't. All the staff were brilliant, they took everything in my birth plan into account, explained everything to me and were generally just amazing.

I managed 34 hours of labour at home before I went into hospital, and only 4 1/2 in hospital. I'm so glad I stayed at home in early labour as I was much more comfortable. I was actually sent in when I was 2cm but chose to go home (against medical advice) They tried to be quite persuasive to keep me in but I refused. I was so glad I did as I managed another 24 hours at home. I think if I had been in all that time I'd be telling a different story, but I just knew it was going to be a while and knew I'd be better at home.

Sorry for the long winded reply, what I'm trying to say is when the time comes, listen to your body and do what is right for you and your baby. If you think you might struggle in sticking to your guns, look into hiring a doula. Mine was fantastic, I couldn't have done it without her.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want to chat :)

Thanks everyone, it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels the way I do!

I am very lucky in that my husband is more than capable of speaking on my behalf and so I know I can rely on him to back my corner so to speak. I think I just need to arm myself with information so that I don't end up falling prey to the doctors persuasion techniques if I end up in the consultant led unit.

My plan is to stay at home for as long as I possibly can. What I don't want is to end up in the same situation as my last birth, where because I wasn't progressing to their time scales I ended up with intervention after intervention. I wasn't able to use the pool because they had me monitored from pretty much the start for no real reason what-so-ever. This is what has put me off the constant monitoring as I was told I had to stay on the bed as when I moved the monitors slipped. In my mind, I wonder if my son would have moved to a better position if I was up and moving and therefore wouldn't have become distressed when they put me on the drip that intensified contractions.

Good luck to others going down the VBAC route and congratulations to those who have achieved it! :flower:

Come on over the the VBAC support thread in my siggy missus

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->