VBACing in a birth centre?

Celesse

Reaction score
Apparently there's a birth centre/midwife led unit opening soon in Newcastle. I've been on the phone to my midwife today to arrange my booking appointment and she's suggested that rather than refusing admission to consultant led and having a home birth, I see if I can get them to agree to delivering me in the birth centre. But I'm high risk and I don't know whether they would take me. Midwife wasn't sure either as its a new unit that isn't even open yet. I must admit I like the idea as it means I can have a postive birth plan without pressure to go in, or stay at home.

Has anyone had any luck, or heard of anyone having any luck arranging a "high risk" birth like a VBAC in a birth centre?

My MW said that my consultant might be able to arrange for me to give birth in the midwife led unit, but when she asked him he said no. I'm also VBACing, which I'm planning a home birth for. I think if I pushed harder my MW might have been able to swing it for me, but hasn't because I'd told her I'd made up my mind to homebirth anyway. It's definately worth a try :)

I was the same - the birth centre was due to open about now (it hasn't but that's another story!) - I wouldn't meet the criteria to go there, and also if I had to be transferred it wouldn't 'look good' for their statistics :wacko:

Anyway - that's partly why I'm having a homebirth :winkwink:

there were 3 BC's in my area (1 closed recently for births) and I was told in no uncertain terms NO.

But women have VBAC'ed in BC's as far as I know. I depends on their policy and how much you push for it.

It will be intersting to hear what they have to say. The birthing centre is going to be the floor below the normal labour ward, so it's literally a lift journey away should something go wrong. Common sense would be that if they want me in hospital it would be safer for me to labour a floor away instead of a 10-15 minute ambulance journey away. So I suppose it will come down to the fear of being sued and the acountability of the midwives in the unit.

I really like the idea though. Birth centre + doula will have a lot of advantages for me and OH.

2 of the BC's near me were attached to hospitals but hey still said no. Strange isnt it?

Just remember that there's nothing that can be done in a BC that cannot be done at home.

It will be intersting to hear what they have to say. The birthing centre is going to be the floor below the normal labour ward, so it's literally a lift journey away should something go wrong. Common sense would be that if they want me in hospital it would be safer for me to labour a floor away instead of a 10-15 minute ambulance journey away. So I suppose it will come down to the fear of being sued and the acountability of the midwives in the unit.

I really like the idea though. Birth centre + doula will have a lot of advantages for me and OH.

Thats a similar set up to what my local hospital have too. I'm having a doula and really looking forward to her support, I think it will be the main factor in getting the birth I want this time :) Good luck and let us know what they say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->