Vegetarian

missjess

Mummy of a prince
Reaction score
I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian. What do I need to know? Can I be a vegetarian that eat fish ?

x

you can eat what you like hun! true vegetarians dont eat fish. If you give up meat make sure you eat plenty of iron filled foods such as green veg, and meat substitutes

You can eat whatever you want!!!! Make sure you take good vitamins.

Im a veggie, and id recommend it.
I ate fish for a few weeks when i 'turned' to help with the transition, but i personally believe as a veggie that is weird to eat fish. Its like claiming that all animals matter, but not fishes, it just confuses me. But then, i won't eat geletine use animal products such as leather either. Though some people still do.
Its your choice hun, but i love it. Quorn is delicious and veggie rock. yummm :)

My OH is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat fish but he wont eat Gelatine or use leather products either, make sure you get plenty vitamins in whatever you eat or take supplements.
Its quite easy being vegetarian now cos of the range of products, to be honest we are mainly veggie in our house cos most of the time I can't be arsed making 2 different meals!

A vegetarian doesn't eat fish, by definition, no you cannot be a vegetarian that eats fish. But you can be a person who eats fish but not other meat, that makes you a pescetarian :)

https://www.vegsoc.org/index.html This website is brilliant for the "what you need to know", and these might be of interest to you as well if you are concerned about getting your iron or protein:

https://www.vegsoc.org/info/iron.html

https://www.vegsoc.org/info/protein.html

:D

I was a vegetarian for 2 years (no meat, poultry, fish) and found it really easy and enjoyable. I did a lot of cooking and found so many great veg recipes, and got turned on to a lot of really tasty soy meat imitation products that I still love to this day. I'd definitely say, go for it!

Hi i'm a veggie!!:hi:
I 'turned' this time last year and like Drazic<3 i continued to eat fish and seafood for about a month after i stopped meat. I can honestly say it's the best thing i have ever done!!! I feel so healthy full of lovely veggies :blush:
I conceived my DD in march last year so even she is a veggie at the minute!
Throughout my pregnancy i only gained 8 kilos (aboout a stone) and had a bouncing 8ib2oz baby!!! I had a fantastic big healthy bump and had a wonderful pregnancy. I am sure this help to contribute despite people telling me that my unborn child NEEDED meat!
Being a veggie i feel encourages you to cook meals from scratch and not use processed foods. My DH still eats meat but he is more than happy with a quorn chilli or quorn spag bol !!! :rofl:
I now keep getting my family ask what i will do about Lexie and if i will make her be a vegetarian...... My answer is i would never force my daughter to eat or not eat meat, espicially with her dad eating meat, she will decide when she is older i'm sure.
Good luck honey and if you need any advise you know where i am!!! xx

what i struggle most with is things with animal products in that arent 'meat' eg i miss my fruit pastilles! manufacturers are getting better but there arte many things that still have gelatine, cochineal and carmines in

what i struggle most with is things with animal products in that arent 'meat' eg i miss my fruit pastilles! manufacturers are getting better but there arte many things that still have gelatine, cochineal and carmines in

Tell me about it! I miss my fruit pastilles too! And trebbor extra strong mints - why the hell do hard mints have to have gellatine in?! And don't even get me started on marshmallows :cry: lol

oh yeah marshmallows, we got some cereal bars the other week that we had to give away as they had gelatine in :saywhat:

OH is a Vegetarian, has been for 17 years, doesn't eat any meat or fish, gellatine, or wear leather so is pretty devout. It has got easier even over the past 12 months for us to have the same meal, just his is the Quorn substitute as the range has widened so much. I eat a lot less meat than I used to too as with a lot of it, you can't tell the difference.

He is so excited as he can now have fish finger sarnies, pork pies, scotch eggs, steak and ale pie, meatball subs, loads of stuff he couldn't a wee while ago.

He still can't eat a lot of sweets or cerals and it astounds me in this day and age, they use gellatine in as many products as they do but it is getting better. It just means when we do find a bag of sweetie snakes that he can eat, we stock up on them!!

As has been said, just make sure you take good vitamins if you do go ahead with it xxx

He still can't eat a lot of sweets or cerals and it astounds me in this day and age, they use gellatine in as many products as they do but it is getting better. It just means when we do find a bag of sweetie snakes that he can eat, we stock up on them!!
n
I'm with you there- tesco have just started making their jelly beans veggie friendly so we fill the trolley up when we go in case they run out!

It makes me laugh how i can't eat jelly babies but i can have bacon crisps from tesco!!!
DH thinks i'm mad!!!

and another thing- the amount of medication that has gelatine in it, its a bloody nightmare

Oh god tell me about it! When I was anaemic the docs kept prescribing me iron tablets but they all had gelatin in (stupid as you'd think it would be veggies most at risk from anaemia...) in the end I had to have iron solution instead!

I'm a new veggie :)

Well, technically pescetarian. However, I'll only eat shellfish-cockles/mussels (not crabs/lobsters) as they don't have any nerves so can't feel and are full of iron!

Oh god tell me about it! When I was anaemic the docs kept prescribing me iron tablets but they all had gelatin in (stupid as you'd think it would be veggies most at risk from anaemia...) in the end I had to have iron solution instead!

I have ferrograd folic, they dont have gelatine

Is it really bad of me that I don't look at the ingredients on sweetie wrappers? I've been veggie for 15 years now, but I'm not really strict, I'll wear leather and feed Kaya meat from time to time. I sometimes take vits but it's not really needed if you have a well balanced diet.

OH is a Vegetarian, has been for 17 years, doesn't eat any meat or fish, gellatine, or wear leather so is pretty devout. It has got easier even over the past 12 months for us to have the same meal, just his is the Quorn substitute as the range has widened so much. I eat a lot less meat than I used to too as with a lot of it, you can't tell the difference.

He is so excited as he can now have fish finger sarnies, pork pies, scotch eggs, steak and ale pie, meatball subs, loads of stuff he couldn't a wee while ago.

As has been said, just make sure you take good vitamins if you do go ahead with it xxx

Your OH sounds just like me, its alllll about the hardcore veggies *high five for OH* :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->