Very stinky gas + poo, thinking of giving up bf'ing...

The description of her poo's seem normal to how both my DD's were... as their bodies are learning how to digest food I think thats what can make them gassy at times.

However if for any reason you do want to switch to formula no need to feel guilty. Just as long as baby is fed :thumbup:
It is NOT easy bfing, even with an easy baby, its draining and time consuming :haha:

An update. We have not had a great weekend. Emma was super fussy Friday night and most of the day on Saturday, lots of gas and nothing calmed her down. She had several explosive episodes of green, watery, runny, smelly poo/diarrhea. Since I mostly pump and can see the foremilk/hindmilk cream, I don't think that's the issue. I believe it might be a dairy issue in my diet. I didn't have much dairy after breakfast yesterday, so I went ahead and fed her direct from the breast this morning (no dairy in over 24hrs now) and threw out all the milk I pumped before this morning (painful to watch liquid gold go down the drain!) and started from scratch. Back to normal poo + gas this afternoon--yellow, watery, smelly farts but not like knockout garbage smells of the last few days. I am seeing the MW tomorrow, so will ask her to have a look as well. I also photographed the "normal" one today so I can compare if she gets another green one -- also can show the MW and doctor.

Are you still taking the Lactulose? IMO when I took it it made my LO's poos vile!

Are you still taking the Lactulose? IMO when I took it it made my LO's poos vile!

no! I stopped yesterday, so everything she has had today has been after that.... you think that was it???

I had to give up fruit juice for the first 4 months as my LO suffered awfully with gas pains if I drank it. Try cutting it out and see if it helps.

Can I ask how old she is? My little guy had the same issues, but it has gotten lots better. Things started to turn around between 3-4 months. I would give him gas drops a few times a day as needed and sometimes would have to spend 5 minutes burping him. I also tried to position him at an incline after feedings as well, which helped.

The cow enzyme usually stays in your system for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks if that is a problem it should improve

She's only 3 weeks on Wednesday. My MW said today it's unlikely it's an issue with dairy because she's too young for that. I don't know, I'm doubtful about that advice... anyone have experience with a very young baby?

I also remembered something else I ate that could have caused the horrible diarrhea episode. My husband made a quiche with eggs and spinach in it. That was the first time I'd had either eggs or spinach since she was born. The MW mentioned it could have been the spinach, since that's a gassy vegetable. In any case I'm now basically monitoring everything I eat and going to try and not overdo the foods but take in smaller portions each time I eat something new or that might possibly cause a reaction, then try and note any changes with Emma's gas and poos. I just hope not to have a repeat of Saturday, that was really scary for me. We ended up giving her some formula overnight while I waited to pump again/start over because I didn't want anything I'd already pumped to cause more trouble. For the record, she's been perfectly fine since Sunday morning's pump feedings + with the formula.

Finally, I also talked to my parents who noted that when I was a baby my mom had to stop breast feeding because I had constant projectile vomiting and diarrhea, which were causing (obviously) constant colicky behavior and much distress for everyone. They switched me entirely onto formula after a month. My brother was also switched to formula soon for some of the same reasons. We have our first post-hospital pediatrician visit this Friday (the one month visit) and I am going to bring up this issue at that point. I am willing to breastfeed as long as the baby is happy, but I am not willing to do so if she has issues, and I am perfectly fine switching entirely over to formula if that's what it takes to make her happy and content (happy baby = happy mommy and daddy). Besides, after talking to another woman today about both her lactose intolerant children, both of whom turned out fine and with whom she switched over to formula after several months and then one month (she got them tested for cow's milk allergy too), I feel much better about formula than I did before. She told me that sleepless nights of agony and pain for her kids pretty much disappeared after she started them on lactose-free formula.

If think it's also important to keep in mind that her tummy is brand new and in my experience, what your baby is doing is normal. I takes a while for tummy's to settle. Also, shaking and feeding from a bottle produces more air. More air = more wind.
The green poo could suggest a wind issue (although again normal until their tummy's settle) How do you feed her? For some babies, feeding upright helps. You could try elevating the mattress of where ever she sleeps just in case there's a touch of reflux ( again, not uncommon in newboms ).

My youngest experienced prolonged wind issues caused by a dairy intolerance. After two weeks of cutting it out she was fine.

Breast milk is much easier for a baby to digest and subsequently pass through. So pooing frequently is not necessarily anything to be worried about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->