• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Victim of a luteal cyst?

mzstephanie84

Reaction score
So I read this chunk of info on www.peeonastick.com

"The corpus luteum produces progesterone. In the event of pregnancy, this progesterone will support the growing embryo until the placenta takes over and makes enough progesterone for itself. Then the corpus luteum shrivels up and stops functioning.

In the event that there is NO pregnancy, the corpus luteum also shrivels up and stops functioning-- ending the luteal phase. The drop in progesterone causes your period to begin.

SOMETIMES, however, there is no pregnancy, but the corpus luteum turns into a small cyst and continues to secrete progesterone long after it's supposed to stop. This is called a luteal cyst, and is responsible for too many false hopes! (Progesterone also causes PMS and pregnancy-like symptoms, such as tender breasts.) If this is the problem, it's simple to resolve (usually a single injection takes care of it) but your doctor needs to see you! Note: this type of cyst is not the same type associated with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS.) Women with PCOS are no more or less likely to develop a luteal cyst, and women who develop luteal cysts do not necessarily have PCOS. Luteal cysts do not cause false positive HPT's."]

My LMP was on March 19th, supposedly O'd on April 2nd, and my expected MP was supposed to be on April 16th. This is my fiance's and my first month TTC :)

I've taken 5 tests at 8dpo ( i know, too soon :blush:), 9dpo, 10dpo, 16 dpo, and 19dpo. All were negative. So does the luteal cyst apply to me? Should I go to my OB/GYN? I'm starting to get really bummed

Hello Stephanie -- what confirmed ovulation for you? Do you temp, use OPKs, check cervical mucus, have blood tests (progesterone, etc.) or ultrasound scans?

If you are concerned, of course see your doctor! :hugs:

This time around, I've only tempted... With my first pregnancy, I never thought of charting/checking anything or using OPKs...

I should be 21 dpo this Friday. If AF doesn't come then, will definitely give the dr a call and set up an appointment. My cycles are regular of about 28-29 days

*sigh* So stressful :-k

Do you have a link to your temps/chart or have you not put them online?

You can use a site like FF ( https://www.fertilityfriend.com ) to put them online, and share a link with us so we can comment.

Otherwise, if you list the temps here, I might be able to give you a better idea of what is happening. I still think that you should see a doctor if you are stressing about it, though. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->