Views on having a puppy and a baby!

Blob.

Reaction score
I have a 7 month old boy, and my OH really wants a puppy!
I don't mind but I ddn't really grow up with animals so its all very new for me!

Just have a few questions, would it really be manageable wth a puppy and 7 month old? I go back to work Feb and then no ones here 9-5?

Just trying to look at pros and cons and your experiences!!

I got a puppy 2 months before lo came Along and think it was best thing we did. Lo loves daisy and she in turn adores lo and is so good with him even when having her ears pulled! I will be going back to uni in sept next year so pup will be left alone but as we got her before I went on maternity am hoping she will be fine. I would say go for it but just do your homework as to which breed willbe most suitable for your family. Personally I can't recommend cocker spaniels highly enough!

It's not a good idea IMO. It might work out for some people, but for the majority it doesn't. Rescues are full of 6-12 month old puppies that are proof of that fact. Puppies are hard work. They also mouth things a lot. Have you thought about how you'll cope with a crawling child and a puppy that is likely to nip them a lot? How you'll toilet train a puppy you have to stand outside in the freezing cold with when you have a baby who's mobile? How you'll manage emergency vet visits, training classes, ongoing training etc?

Plus, no reputable breeder or rescue would home a puppy to someone with a baby, so in order to get one you'd have to support irresponsible breeders or puppy farmers.

Its not the baby, its the work.
I have an Alaskan Malamute, cat and hamster and its ALOT of work with just them as doggy needs at least 2hrs exercise a day

Its unfair to leave a dog in so long unless you have a dog walker coming in for at least an hour during that time imo.

I agree with Midori. My dog gets the attention he needs, and it's hard enough - I am a SAHM with a big backyard (he is a Shiba Inu, snowy breed). I would recommend against it, especially as you weren't raised with dogs and it's uncharted territory for you.

My dog is larger and just walks away when the toddler gets too close. My MIL's dog was a little shitzu type dog and Alex would grab him by the ears and drag him across the room (yes this happened once and he was disciplined accordingly...), a small dog can be a real problem when it comes to an 18+ month old. There is no difference between a stuffed teddy and a little dog.

Consider that you must walk the dog before 9 and after 5, every day, in order to prevent boredom. A bored dog can become an angry dog, frustrated dog, aggressive dog. As Midori says, a reputable breeder would not give one of their dogs to a home with a baby (and usually the SPCA here doesn't either - not sure about where you live). Please do not support puppy mills (google puppy mill)

Good luck with your decision

I'd say if you were out that much then its not really fair on the puppy, they are a lot of work! I gave mine to my mum when i found out i was pregnant.
I do have 2 cats, they take up much less time and have helped LO advance quicker :) maybe another animal might be more suited to your home?

Oops, just noticed the work thing. Absolutely not doable. It is cruel to leave a sociable animal alone for very long periods of time. Some dogs might cope, but that is all they are doing. Again, no decent breeder or rescue would let you have a puppy, or adult dog in these circumstances.

An adult rescue dog might be an option if you can afford a dog walker daily and are prepared to walk the dog before and after work each and every day too? Expect to pay upwards of £200 a month for this 5 days a week.

I used to work 12 hours a day a few times a week and we had a 'doggy daycare' that cost $25 per day, it was well worth the socialization although it was unstructured and caused some problems walking. Another option is a kennel with structured walks/social times (we had one of these too for weekend boarding) and that's a good way to compromise. But I wouldn't want to combine a bored dog/toddler (baby is one thing, a toddler is especially dangerous).

It's a lovely idea and my almost one year old adores the dog and vice versa. However, it is very hard at times and I really don't feel like the dog gets anyway near the attention or exercise he needs. Just properly.think through how it will all work before you make a decision :)

i would say no; for a couple of reasons.

1) i dont see the point in getting a dog if you are not home all day. it is cruel on the dog and your not getting their full potential.

2) rescue homes are over run at the moment. people buying puppies, usually for their kids, then it ends up being too much of a commitment and they get stuck in rescue. a lot of healthy dogs are being put down because of this reason. if you are serious about getting a dog, you should rehome one.

3) puppies pee and poo on the floor sometimes. your baby is 7 months old so may be crawling, and soon walking. do you really want the hassle of having to constantly moniter where your baby is crawling in case the puppy has had an accident.

4) puppies can winge in the night. i dont know if your baby sleeps through, but that could be a problem.

i dont want to sound like a debbie downer, i love dogs and puppies are adorable but i wanted to be honest so you dont get a puppy and regret it. if you decide to go ahead with it make sure you are in it for the long haul, dogs live a long time.

good luck with your decision x

No you shouldn't like you said your going back to work soon and it's so cruel to leave a dog in doors from 9-5

i would also say no i had to get rid of my dog cause i had no time for her and im a sahm i had her for 4 years broke my heart but a dog needs alot of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->