Vincent William, Novemeber 2, 2009

pennysbored

Reaction score
Sorry it has taken so long to post! But here's the down low on little Vincent's birth.
One word. Epidural.
SO so so glad I got one this time, and even happier that I didn't the first time around with my daughter. I've now had the best of both worlds, delivery wise.

My labour was straight forward. I was really scared at first as I was only 35 weeks, but my daughter was born at 32+5, so I had an idea of what to expect. But, luckily, Vincent got to come home after 2 days, and only one night of observation in the NICU. It was the same NICU that Betty was in for 5 weeks, and because it had only been 9 months since Betty had been sent home, I actually knew 2 out of the 3 nurses that were working that night. Two of whom were my favorites from prior experience.
I'm back tracking. My labour.
About 6:30 in the morning I wake up with a contraction. I get up, move around a bit, have a drink of water to see if it was a one off. 10 minutes later, another.
I call OH, tell him to get his ass home as he had left for work about 20 minutes earlier, called my ride/baby sitter. Pack a bag because I hadn't yet. I was only 35 weeks! Go to the hospital (during rush hour, one of my biggest fears as traffic can get pretty congested, and of course I am heading to Downtown Vancouver, a real mess of traffic).
They assess me, send me to my room. Oh, and my nurse, as she is about to move me to my room, I tell her I want the epidural later, but not too much later, she tells me "We don't do those here". Then she laughs because I look like I am either a) about to punch her, or b) about to cry. She was totally kidding of course. All of the sudden I was very glad she was my nurse. I'm a "jokes at a funeral" kinda gal. Laugh in the face of adversity and all that jazz.
So yeah, get to my room, send OH to get me a sandwich so I can eat something as I had held off to see how LO was positioned, I was scared he was breach. I was starving, and I knew I wouldn't be soon.
So yeah, pretty basic, time contractions, wait for the next one. Time contractions, wait for the next one....you get the idea. The nurse starts me on some gas, I giggle. She laughed that I giggled, saying how she likes the gigglers. Oh good. And it helps as she shows me how to use it properly. Last nurse I had didn't, and it wasn't nearly as effective during contractions.
Around 2:30 pm the anesthesiologist gets there, does the dirty dead.
Heaven. Absolute heaven. I need to ask if I am having contractions, as I can feel something, but am not entirely sure.
The obstetrician come in around 4 to break my waters, as they hadn't yet, and they splashed her. Everyone laughed (it was a really nice labour that way. More laughter than tears). My GP gets there as she is the one doing the delivery. I start to push about 4:50. He is born 5:14 pm. No tears or anything. Glad I've been doing those keagels for years, it sure helped, I didn't tear with Betty, either.
Oh, and the Pediatrician present for the birth states matter of factly "this baby is at LEAST 36 weeks." I got to hold him for about an hour, unattended by any medical professionals, something I didn't get to do with my daughter. I did get to hold her right away, but they had taken her away to the NICU about 15 minutes after her birth, and there were nurses and doctors everywhere. Not the same, as necessary as it was.
Reading through this, I realize how boring my labour was.
That's a good thing, I think.
I'm at home and happy, breastfeeding like a mad women which is great.
All is well.

Attachments

• 100_1503.jpg
    100_1503.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_1515.jpg
    100_1515.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 44
Aaaah huge congratulations! And welcome to the world baby Vincent! Love the name. Glad everything went so smoothly x x x x x

Congrats Penny!!! Im so glad he's here and healthy!! xxx

Many congratulations on your new handsome son! :cloud9:

what does Betty think of him?! xx

Many congratulations on your new handsome son! :cloud9:

what does Betty think of him?! xx

She's....uninterested at worst, grabby at best. She seemed a little mad at me at first, but she's dealt with it. Perhaps better than an older child might.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->