Vit D deficient and low iron

MumDreamz

Reaction score
I'm a bit perturbed. :shrug:

I got some testing done finally. I guess I was expecting for someone to say. "HEY, THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM." :cry:

Instead, all my levels are normal except I'm vitamin D severely deficient and my iron levels are okay, so I'm going on supplements for those.:shrug:

DH levels are spectacular. :cloud9:

I feel like hating my body. I might actually hate my body. :growlmad:

Anyone else had vitamin D issues and it fixed the problem?

Im being tested next week but the best thing you can do on top of what ever the doc has said is to eat spinnach its high in that and other stuff if you pook up what to eat for ttc spinnach is right up there and broccoli. It will take a month or 2 to start helping and if you get pg in the mean time you will still need so worth a shot if you dont eat it already i try and eat it at least twice aiming for 4

Since you're in the northern states, you probably suffer from the same condition as most Canadians: lack of vitamin D producing sunlight. Just supplement. Use D3 as it's the easiest to absorb. And go outside during summer.

Iron is available in two forms: heme iron, and non-heme iron. Heme iron is the type you get from meat. Absorption rates tend to be fairly stable. Non-heme iron is the type you'll find in vegetables, cereals, and supplements. Many things can affect the absorption rate of this. You'll want to avoid milk/calcium and include vitamin C rich vegetables (or a glass of orange juice) when you're having heme iron. This includes if you've decided to supplement. It's not unusual to be short iron as a woman since we need so much more of it.

It's not unusual to be short on D either. Fear of the sun/overuse of sunscreen results in a shortage of D as it's quite difficult to get this from diet. (hence just supplementing) The only decent natural source is fish, and you can't eat a ton of this while trying to get pregnant. You might find locally that cereals and milk have had it added, but since I'm not certain whether they do that in the US, I'll just say check yourself.

I have read in places that yes, critically low D can affect fertility to a degree, but I'm not certain about the quality of my sources.

I have low D and iron. Iron I just take a supplement all the time for like 4 years now. D I started almost a year ago now, need to get my levels checked again, I don't know how they've done. Hope you can catch up quick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->