vitamin k

hmaz

Reaction score
I was wondering whether everyone is planning on their newborn being given vitamin k (either by injection or orally) our if anyone is considering refusing this.

I'm not sure what to do yet, my son had the injection but after some research and thought this time round I'm not sure what to do. What are everyone's thoughts on vitamin

We did the injection. It was something I researched because I heard all the things about it being associated with childhood leukemia and whatnot. I'm a medical researcher myself, so I went and read all the studies that had been done on it and I wasn't convinced there was any reason to be concerned. The studies that did find associations where not convincing or rigorous at all and there is no real cause and effect relationship demonstrated. I'm also not personally convinced there is a real need for it, as I think there is some evidence that there is a reason why babies have low levels of vitamin K (and I read something not too long ago that babies with delayed cord clamping actually have much higher levels, so that might explain how this 'deficiency' comes about anyway!). But at the same time, I didn't see any evidence it would be harmful, so I opted to have it done so I wouldn't worry about whether I should have or not. It was fine. She barely even noticed it!

I had in my birth plan that I wanted the oral vitamin K as opposed to the shot.. simply trying to avoid trauma for baby. But I consulted with a CNM that delivers at the hospital and she said the oral version has been proven not effective. I didn't want to argue about it, as there are far more important issues to me. So I guess Jayden will have it but definitely no other shots in the hospital.

If delayed cord clamping is being done, does the vitamin K shot need to be given as well? I only ask because we plan on delaying cord clamping for 15min or until it's done pulsating (there's pictures on Google if anyone was interested).

We opted for the injection with our son and will for this baby as well.

Any risks associated with the shot were far outweighed (for me) the potential (even though rare) risks of not getting it. Everyone has to weigh the decision for themselves, though - that's just what we came to in the end.

The vitamin k shot will be the only shot baby #3 is getting at birth. Everything else will be delayed and no eye ointment.

We are skipping the Vit K injection.

Why though? I'm not sure what we'll be doing yet, any info really helps.

PHYTONDIONE VITAMIN K INJECTION

This information was taken from Merck vaccine manufacturer, who also make this injection.
Ingredients: Phytondione 2 or 10mgs, polyoxyethylated fatty acid 70mgs (the data sheet didn’t say where the fatty acid was derived from, but one type of oral brand has bovine gall bladder fatty acid in it, so I assume similar here), dextrose, benzyl alcohol and water.
Other brands such as the one by Roche Pharmaceuticals, may have varying ingredients. Roche’s also contains hydrochloric acid.
Hospira Inc’s version contains aluminium.

Warnings: This injection should be administered subcutaneously (just under the skin) because severe reactions including fatalities have occurred immediately after intramuscular (deep muscle) and intravenous injection (via a drip). Those reactions include hypersensitivity, anaphylactic shock, and cardiac and respiratory arrest.
Benzyl Alcohol as a preservative as been associated with toxicity in newborns.

Adverse Reactions: Deaths have occurred after intramuscular and intravenous injection, ‘flushing’ sensations, dizziness, rapid and weak pulse, profuse sweating, hypotension, dyspnea, cyanosis, pain, swelling at the injection site, allergic sensitivity, scleroderma like skin lesions that persist for long periods. Hyperbilirubinemia has occurred in newborns following the administration of vitamin K injection (jaundice).
This drug has not been tested to see if it is carcinogenic (causes cancer),whether it mutates or if it impairs fertility. It is not known whether it can cause fetal harm or whether it is excreted in human milk. (from: https://www.vaccineriskawareness.com/Vitamin-K-Does-Your-Baby-Really-Need-It-)

https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/skip-that-newborn-vitamin-k-shot/

For me it's mostly the ingredient list and possible side effects. We're skipping eye goo and Hep B as well, we're also doing no vaccinations or at the very least, very very delayed (depends on schooling).

I had not considered it, when they threw the form at me as I was about to be wheeled in for my C-section, I declined the Vit K and the eye goo. I had already signed to decline the Hep B when they started inducing me.

I am wondering now if I screwed up and should do something different. LO is perfectly healthy right now but I worry....

This information was taken from Merck vaccine manufacturer, who also make this injection.
Ingredients: Phytondione 2 or 10mgs, polyoxyethylated fatty acid 70mgs (the data sheet didn’t say where the fatty acid was derived from, but one type of oral brand has bovine gall bladder fatty acid in it, so I assume similar here), dextrose, benzyl alcohol and water.
Other brands such as the one by Roche Pharmaceuticals, may have varying ingredients. Roche’s also contains hydrochloric acid.

Warnings: This injection should be administered subcutaneously (just under the skin) because severe reactions including fatalities have occurred immediately after intramuscular (deep muscle) and intravenous injection (via a drip). Those reactions include hypersensitivity, anaphylactic shock, and cardiac and respiratory arrest.

Adverse Reactions: Deaths have occurred after intramuscular and intravenous injection, ‘flushing’ sensations, dizziness, rapid and weak pulse, profuse sweating, hypotension, dyspnea, cyanosis, pain, swelling at the injection site, allergic sensitivity, scleroderma like skin lesions that persist for long periods. Hyperbilirubinemia has occurred in newborns following the administration of vitamin K injection (jaundice).
This drug has not been tested to see if it is carcinogenic (causes cancer),whether it mutates or if it impairs fertility. It is not known whether it can cause fetal harm or whether it is excreted in human milk. (from: https://www.vaccineriskawareness.com/Vitamin-K-Does-Your-Baby-Really-Need-It-)

For me it's mostly the ingredient list and possible side effects. We're skipping eye goo and Hep B as well, we're also doing no vaccinations or at the very least, very very delayed (depends on schooling).

Oh my word. Why do they have to put this CRAP in a VITAMIN K shot?! Really upset now.

Ugh, that makes me sick. What's the worst that can happen if they don't receive the shot?

And what about the eye goo? What's in that and what's the risk of not getting it?

The eye goo is an antibiotic used to prevent syphilis, gonorrhea, or chlamydia. I figure if you know you don't have those, then skip it. They usually test you in early pregnancy anyway. If you have one of those diseases and it ends up in the babies eye, it can cause pink eye/conjunctivitis or even blindness.

Some hospitals use silver nitrate which causes the newborn to have blurred vision, red eyes, etc.

Yeah, we skip the erythromycin eyedrops, since I know I don't have chlamydia or ghonorrhea (and was just tested again to be sure). No sense introducing antibiotics when they're not necessary.

I think its a personal decision with no right or wrong way of going about things. It appears that the oral vitamin K in the UK is identical to the injected version. The ingredients seem to be less dubious than the versions used in the US but its weighing up whether its safer to give the cocktail of chemicals via mouth where they could potentially affect the gut or via injection where they go direct into the bloodstream but could also cause problems. I have always opted for the latter and think I will do the same again. It is tricky as for some reason there is very little UK-geared manufacturer literature online about the vitamin K products used here (called konakion) but I found the Irish information as well as from a UK medicine site which had a brief information overview. It does seem as well that there is even less data on the oral version especially if given in repeated doses as recommended, than the injected version. The manufacturer states that the oral version isn't proven to be safe or effective after the first two doses yet it is advised to give it once a month for several months after that. Because of the scare study done on the injected version there is more data on it xx

The eye goo is an antibiotic used to prevent syphilis, gonorrhea, or chlamydia. I figure if you know you don't have those, then skip it. They usually test you in early pregnancy anyway. If you have one of those diseases and it ends up in the babies eye, it can cause pink eye/conjunctivitis or even blindness.

Some hospitals use silver nitrate which causes the newborn to have blurred vision, red eyes, etc.

Yeah, we skip the erythromycin eyedrops, since I know I don't have chlamydia or ghonorrhea (and was just tested again to be sure). No sense introducing antibiotics when they're not necessary.

Ahh, I see. I've tested negative for all those as well. Seems like they should only make it mandatory if the woman has tested positive for those STDs, though from what it sounds like it's routine unless you specifically ask not to have it? I'll include it on my birth plan notes, which is basically a list reminder of things I do not want done to our son. I'm not sure how I'll be after giving birth or how OH is going to be, so it's a good idea to have a list for him. He does better when he has a list, lol.

Ahh, I see. I've tested negative for all those as well. Seems like they should only make it mandatory if the woman has tested positive for those STDs, though from what it sounds like it's routine unless you specifically ask not to have it? I'll include it on my birth plan notes, which is basically a list reminder of things I do not want done to our son. I'm not sure how I'll be after giving birth or how OH is going to be, so it's a good idea to have a list for him. He does better when he has a list, lol.

I'll disclaim this by saying that I gave birth at home and am doing so again, so my experience will differ drastically from what people who give birth elsewhere experience. That said, my UNDERSTANDING is that the eyedrops are routine procedure unless you specifically state you don't want them. I think they err on the side of (relative) caution by assuming you have chlamydia and/or gonorrhea. :p

I could be wrong. We were explicitly asked during an appointment whether we wanted them or not, so got lots of time to research and have our wishes known. A hospital may be different.

With #1 I was in a state of ignorance about all of the newborn treatments and she got them all, but with #2, we declined all three; Vit K due to delayed cord clamping, eye ointment because I was 100% positive I was not carrying infections, and Hepatitis because I am diametrically opposed to vaccinating a brand new immune system. The Hep vaccine I did at a later date and never gave another thought to the others. The vit K and eye ointment were more difficult to decline here in Kentucky as it is state law that ALL newborns receive them (as well as do the newborn screen) and it took some fancy paperwork to get out of them. With #3, who will be born at home, I will skip all 3 again, and do the newborn screen when it's 3 days old. I do the latter, not for my own baby's benefit, but because I am a maternal and fetal health researcher and I believe that it's very important for health authorities to have the opportunity to gather these types of data for general population health.

They don't have the eye drops in the UK and we simply don't have babies going blind from STD-related eye disease. Pre-1950s it was fairly common but since antibiotics and even more so since pre-natal testing it just doesn't happen now xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->