Vitamins?

mamalove

mum to 3 girls and a boy
Reaction score
We were given multi-vitamins,folic acid and iron when they were born. Those lasted for 2-3 months and after that noone was sure wether they had to prescribe them again or not?!
My GP says they have nothing on their system about the repeat prescription,but i was sure they had to take them until they were 1 year old?
They want me to take the bottles in but i don't have them anymore,they have been without vits for monthsnow. I just give them regular baby multi-vit drops,but is that enough?

I still give Lakai (who is 9 months corrected and a year actual) iron, vitamin d and a whole list of other things (but they are for certain things he has). I think you can still give vitamin d and iron if you wish, but I think with iron I would be careful since you can have too much iron. I would think your GP would know more about this.

I think a multi vitamin is a great idea, and I have been thinking about starting Lakai on one ASAP.

Good luck, sorry I wasn't more help.

Are you still under a consultant paeditrician, if so I would contact him and ask...then advise your GP. My doctor and I were given a discharge summary which detailed the medicine my LO needs which included multi vitamins and iron. My LO has to take these until she is 1 years corrected as she missed out on the nutrients babies receive in the last trimester. Apparently in the last trimester a supply of iron is built up in the babies system so when they are born they have a iron supply that will last six months, until they start weaning. With extreme premature babies they don't have this so need supplements for longer. When were your LO born at what gestation?
Your GP should have the discharge summary from the hospital which will detail what your babies need. Did you have triplets by the way?

Sorry for medical lesson above if anyone knows this already, the more I research Emily's medicines the more I understand why she needs them...wish there were more natural ways to help our babies as I hate medicines...

Good luck with your quest...x

Andrew was discharged with vitamins (Abidec), folic acid, and sytron (iron) sufficient for two weeks. As the outreach midwife said he should take them for at least six months (she didn't know exactly, waiting to see what the paediatrician says), I took the copy of the hospital prescription into the GP and they've organised a monthly repeat prescription for us.

Emily does not take folic acid, what is that for? Is she missing something?

Rose was sent home with vitamins (and iron to start at 6 weeks). I had to ask the docs if she needed to continue with them when we ran out and they gave us some more.

I also asked the girls on here, seems we are not really given enough info by the professionals hey!

Thanks girls!

We were never under consultant/pedeatrician care,they were 5 weeks early but had no health issues so we went home after 3 days.
A week later i went to hospital to pick up vitamins directly from the post natal ward. My GP says there is nothing on their system that shows they need another prescription.
I rang them and they said because there is nothing on their then maybe they don't need them anymore?
I'll continue with multi-vits,they are on solids now so get extra iron and folic acid.

Thanks again ladies x

Molly was never given any vitamins at all?!

I was told all babies under 5lbs had to be given vitamins?

Its never been mentioned to me at all. I'm not going to worry as she has done fine without them so far and eats healthily.

Abby came home on Dalivit and Sytron. She was supposed to take these until she was weaned, but tbh, we stopped giving them at about 4 months.

The repeat prescription was noted on her discharge notes and my Gp surgery called within 3 days of her coming home to say the scrip' was ready - even though I hadn't handed in the form from the hospital.

When I did get the Sytron, I was amazed. We got a 500 ml bottle. She was on 1.5 ml per day but you had to throw it away once opened for 3 months so there was no way she would get through it all. What a waste of resources!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->