Vitamins

LeannieB

Toby and Sam xx
Reaction score
Hi does anyone give their LO vitamins? I have just been reading something that said that I should be giving my LO vitamin d drops? He is 6 months and we have just started BLW and he is EBF. It also said something about Iron as well. I have not been told anything by the health visitor when I have taken him to be weighed. Thanks in advance x

I do take the breastfeeding vitamins everyday x

No, I didn't. I did make sure he got direct sunlight as many days as possible (for 10-30 minutes) to make sure he got vitamin D. I did not give him iron until it was discovered at 12 months he had severe iron deficient anemia. This was probably due to his prematurity (iron stores are formed in the last weeks of pregnancy) and would probably not apply to a healthy term breastfed baby.

There is actually a purpose for the low iron in breastfed babies, something about undigested iron in the gut feeding bad bacteria or something...I read it somewhere. But anyway, DS did not have enough, so we did have to supplement. It was still good at his 2 year check recently.

ETA: We live in a fairly sunny area, which is why I think vitamin d drops are not as heavily recommended here.

I give my son vitamin d drops. My pediatrician recommended doing so.

I give both my two the Wellkid baby vitamins. It's suitable from age 6months-5 years and it lasts quite a while. I was recommended to give them by the HV with my DS when he was 6ms and he still gets his 5ml every night.

I was told to give vitamin D drops, but I only give them when we haven't been outside for much of the day. Which I usually take him for walks and he gets plenty of sunlight. I'm not sure about the iron though, I was only suggested to give iron fortified baby cereal, which I plan to skip as it gave him terrible gas and he just didn't like it.

Our pediatrician told us to start on Vitamin D drops. She suggested Carlson's, it's just one drop a day, very easy. It's not too sunny here, and we don't go out a lot yet. I'm deficient and have to take a supplement, so it makes sense that he'd need one too.

My youngest takes Wellbaby multivitamin, including vit d, and has done for a few months. WIth my eldest she had vit d drops from 6 months and takes a multivitamin too.

Iron is not necessary as long as LO still takes lots of milk. As he gets older if he eats a varied diet along side breastmilk he'll not need iron unless you see any specific anaemia symptoms.

Vit D is a different story. We don't get out enough (even active people don't work outside all day everyday) use sunscreen (and SPF makeup), drive more than walk and some of us live too far north to get enough sunlight.

If you got enough vitamin D in pregnancy and now that you are breastfeeding a lot then LO is unlikely to become too deficient but will still need sunlight exposure to get the full dose. Because this can be difficult it is easier to give a supplement.

My LO was vitamin D deficient even though she played outside for at least 30mins each day (much more during the summer), we're both pale, she had a varied diet, I breastfed her to 27months and she had formula top ups for 6months! We were referred to a paediatrician who said it was probably because I was deficient during pregnancy and breastfeeding, as we live too far north for either of us to get enough bit D. Things is we aren't even that far north - just Yorkshire!

So I'd definitely give the supplement knowing what I know now. Soft bones are no joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->