Vitex Messed Up My Cycle - Spotting!!

lil_abi

Reaction score
Hi Girlies, I'm a newbie here with a small question I'm hoping you can help me with..

I've been taking vitex (agnus cactus) for the last 4 months as I believed it to be a 'fertility booster' - especially to help build up progesterone levels. I only take it after ovulation up to a few days before my period. But from the first month taking it, I noticed some light spotting during the luteal phase - nothing which really worried me. Then over the last 3 months, this unusual spotting has steadily grew worse and this cycle I experience breakthrough bleeding which may even be an early period - I guess I need to wait and see. The only benefit I've had is super high temps after ovulation. So I decided to chuck out the vitex and stick to the B6 pills.

So my question is, has anyone with regular cycles experienced any irregularities while taking vitex?

Here's my chart:
https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/370b7d

i haven't taken this myself, but was thinking about it until i read the reviews on it. i have regular cycles and was just looking for something that might boost my fertility. from the reviews, it appears to work very well for women with irregular cycles. the reviews are mixed for women with regular cycles. alot of women with regular cycles described situations very similiar to yours after taking vitex. maybe you should stop taking it and see if your cycles go back to normal. since you had none of these problems before, i would think its the vitex causing it. also, if you feel you have low progesterone, the progesterone cream may work better for you. maybe you want to ask you dr about it. good luck!

I tried it one month and I had almost constant positive OPKs so I stopped taking it. its not for those who ovulate on their own.

Hey, It's fine for people who ovulate on their own, but it's not really for people with regular periods. It acts a hormone balancer, and if your having regular periods you shouldn't need any help with that, least not what vitex does :)

I have irregular and long periods, my first was 37 days and by the next month it was down by 4 days I think due to vitex! Also the herb can take up to one/three months to work, and needs to be taken over a longer period of time, just taking it for a few days will not help and might be what is causing the upset for you.
People with regular periods can take it to help with PMS symptoms of course, and it does a really good job at that!

I work with herbs, although I am pretty new at the job, because I'm ttc I'm especially interested in these kind!

I ordered some but after doing a lot of research decided against it bc i have regular cycles. I read a lot of other women describe what you are describing (those with regular cycles). I think it's only meant for those who have irregular, long cycles.

Thanks for your all your replies. I think its easy to to assume that taking addiontal supplements will give you that boost, but now I realize that I should leave my body to do what it does anyway. Taking any other herbs (other to regular) vitamins will only cause problems if my cycle is regular.

I've literally thrown away the vitex and now the bleeding seems to be getting lighter. I booked a drs appointment just in case the spotting comes from something else so hopefully its just the vitex that's to blame. I definitely won't be doing this again :)

Thanks again x

Another quick update, I'm definitely having a period, which is a week early for me. I definitely blame vitex so I would probably advise against taking it if you are quite regular. At least I get to start the BDing a week early I guess ;)

I have a regular 28/29 day cycle and took vitex with DS2 and DS3 and concieved 1st month. It really helped me. You were taking it wrong tho, it should be taken between CD1 and the day you ovulate only maybe thats why it had that effect on you.

Thanks for your all your replies. I think its easy to to assume that taking addiontal supplements will give you that boost, but now I realize that I should leave my body to do what it does anyway. Taking any other herbs (other to regular) vitamins will only cause problems if my cycle is regular.

I've literally thrown away the vitex and now the bleeding seems to be getting lighter. I booked a drs appointment just in case the spotting comes from something else so hopefully its just the vitex that's to blame. I definitely won't be doing this again :)

Thanks again x

I am pretty sure its the vitex I hope your cycles get normal quick.
Vitamins are fine in fact I recommend at least a prenatal while TTC
just stay away from any herbs claiming to regulate cycles
if they are not really needed they will do more harm then good.
:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->