Vitex vs. Clomid

morethanready

Reaction score
The husband and I came off BC on March 20, 2013 the week before leaving for our HM. I went 2.5 months without AF or any signs of O. I took pt's often just checking and hopeful I would get pg quick and that I would be one of those lucky girls who just got pg right away. I just turned 30 and had been on bc pills for 15 years prior to coming off. After going 2.5 months with no AF, I went to see my doctor. She put me on Provera/Progesterone for 10 days in hopes that would jump start my system. I took the hormone and sure enough, AF came, although to me it didn't feel like a typically period. There was no cramping, no tender breasts, no PMS symptoms at all. I think had a 48 day cycle. On CD 42 I decided to try the herbal supplement Vitex. I took 400mgs once a day for 2 days and immediately got AF. It was great! I was so excited!! I have now been taking OPK tests daily since the return of AF. All POAS tests for pg and O have been BFN. I am now on CD 22 and feel as though this is going to be another long cycle and even then I don't know if I am O or not. I am tempted to start taking Vitex again ( I stopped after getting AF last month. ) daily to regulate my cycles. I am not looking to get p right away, I just want to know that I am at least O and get a Pos OPK. Anyone have opinions on whether Vitex has been helpful or harmful when TTC? Also, thoughts on Clomid.... is it time for me to consider this option? Or should I keep waiting = hell. #impatientwoman :wacko:

Vitex is a gentle herb & from what I've read, you have to keep on it for several months for it to really do what it needs to. I've seen different info about taking it after ovulation- some sources say that you have to stop it right at O. Others say you can keep taking it after ovulation, but that if you get pregnant, you MUST keep taking it until around the end of the first trimester and then wean slowly off. I'd lean toward saying that AF showing so quick after taking the Vitex the first time was more of a coincidence than anything else.
Personally, I'm going with route #2 & will keep taking it through the 1st trimester once we get there. I don't really have any opinion on whether it's doing anything, though. Lol.
Most docs won't give you Clomid until you've been trying for a year and have proven that there really is a problem. :)

I've been taking 400 mg vitex since the start of this cycle & I think it's going well & helping to regulate me - I O'd cycle day 20 [maybe 18 this is my first month bbt charting].

I was also on bcp until early June 2013 and hadn't had a period on them in over a year or the first month I stopped then I finally had one July 11th so I'd say it's helping! I continued taking it after I O'd and will let my doc know that I'm taking it if I get a :bfp:

You should also look into red raspberry leaf - it is also supposed to help with menstrual regulation! Good luck.

I also think the taking the Vitex and getting your period right afterwords was coincidence. Vitex will definitely regulate your cycle, but you have to take it regularly instead of starting and stopping. You also have to give it about 3 months before it will really fully kick in. There are conflicting stories out there on if you should just take it until you O and then start again when you get AF, or just take it all the time. My experience was that it worked great when I took it daily through the entire cycle.

Since you did get your AF on your own once and you aren't in a super big hurry to get pregnant, I would give Vitex a try before I started Clomid. It is really only suggested that you take Clomid 6 times total. It is hard on your body and you don't want to use up your 6 tries before you are even ready to start trying for real! The longer someone is on the pill, the longer it will take for their body to get back into regular cycles. Anything up to a year is normal.

I have been charting as of July 13. AF came on July 12. I haven't been taking Vitex, but I started yesterday. I had confidence in my body that I would O in my own, but haven't had such luck. I am on CD 22 and BFN on all of my OPKs. I am
not expecting Vitex to regulate this cycle, but I plan on continuing Vitex through my next few cycles. I am convinced anything is better than waiting for my own body to figure itself out.

Thank you so much for sharing your story! Iy is great to hear there are other women who are going through the same thing. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->