Volunteering

tasha41

Mum & Dad + 1
Reaction score
I have time now that LO is in school from 8:30-3 Mon-Fri to do some volunteering.

Now I don't care what I do, I feel fulfilled by giving and helping others, but I saw an opportunity that involves administrative/reception duties. This is what I went to school for and I have had a hard time getting a job in the field. I do data entry and office work at my job, but my main job is bartending/supervising, and that is obviously what I spend MOST of my shift doing.

Is it selfish of me to "go for" the volunteering opportunity that will give me experience towards future career opportunities? I feel like it is because I'm not really being 'selfless'. Not sure if I'm feeling guilty because it is wrong or because I went to Catholic school for a long time and they really drive the "help people who can't do anything in return for you" sort of message :shy:

I won an award at my high school graduation for doing 694 hours of community service/volunteering in my 4 years of high school. Our requirement was 40.. I'm truly looking to volunteer, not just saying that.

What do you think?

I think it's good to use your skills to volunteer, so the charity gets the benefit of your expertise. They will be glad to have you!

Volunteering is a great way to gain experience for your CV. That's not selfish, it's just realistic. Whatever volunteering you do shows employers your skills in practice and your passion for the type of job. Go for it!

Plenty of people volunteer in order to add to their CV. It really doesn't make any difference to the organisation, they're still getting your help. Loads of people also find that because they've volunteered for something their CV looks better even if that's not why they did it. Does that suddenly mean their volunteering meant less because they gained from it? Nope! If you wanted to volunteer anyway, go for it. If that volunteering also helps you out with your CV, just be happy about it! I'd say you're more likely to work for a charity long term if it is something you're interested in and want to do for a living, so they benefit from that too and they will be getting the best from you because of your skill set.

I used to work for a charity. believe me, lots of people volunteer for selfish reasons and i never thought any less of my volunteers for it. Go for it!

I kind of see it as a win-win situation! You're helping someone who needs it, and improving your cv at the same time, surely everyone is happy :) go for it!

Of course it's not selfish, it's a shrewd move and one more people in this economic climate should make. I used to volunteer in a youth club for a couple of hours a week last year, it wasn't because I particularly wanted to help the club I won't lie (although of course that was nice!!) but I needed experience with teenagers and didn't want to do it in a school as I was working full time, it was great fun and looks good on my cv :)

No it is not selfish at all. volunteering is a great thing to do, and if you can add to your CV then as someone else said, it is win-win.

You should be proud of yourself.

I agree with the other it's not selfish :) You're bringing the skills you already have to help the charity it's very smart!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->