Vomiting after infant oatmeal

I think i may have figured out my problem. The pkg of oatmeal said to mix it 1tbsp cereal with 1tbsp of milk.... but EVERYWHERE i read says for first feeding to mix 1tbsp of cereal to 4 tbsp of milk. So it was probably way way way way way to heavy for her tummy. I didn't research it properly before i fed her :dohh:

The rice went ok... she only had 2 baby spoons full of rice "soup" but it stayed down

My son has FPIES to rice, oats, sweet potatoes, green beans, squash, chicken, and eggs. This means he vomits approximately 2 hours after eating anything containing these ingredients, sometimes to the point of dehydration and shock. He was hospitalized for 5 days at 10 months. I don't want to scare you, but it really sounds like FPIES to me, which means you could do more harm than good by trying rice and especially by trying oatmeal again.

Keep us all updated, please! Also, FPIES is rare and still quite misunderstood/sometimes completely unkown in the medical community, so if your doctor hasn't mentioned it don't be surprised. My doctor diagnosed my son with the flu on at least 3 occasions before admitting there was something else going on.

And before you go getting yourself all scared, know that my son is now almost 3 and is a very healthy, normal child so long as we avoid those seven foods. He hasn't vomited since last Halloween (egg incident).

I tried to post some good resources, but since I'm a new member I can't post links yet. Google the FPIES foundation, and also, on facebook look up FPIES and FPIES United Family Fund. Best wishes!

Thank you. I did reasearch FPIES and it sounded close to what she was experiencing, however the rice seems to be ok. Thank you.

You're welcome. I just remember my own confusion, frustration, and fear over two years ago when my son seemed to get so sick every time he ate solids. I try to do my part now in pointing other mothers in the right direction and letting them know they are not alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->