Voting to stay or leave EU. Confused!

I'll be voting to stay. My main concerns are:

We have lots of people living in Britain from the EU who have been here for years, have families and are established (the same in reverse) what would it mean for them if we withdraw from the EU and they no longer have the right to live anywhere in the EU?
- I am very worried about working regulations if we withdraw, what would happen to sick leave, holiday pay, working time regulations, maternity leave..... I suspect the Tories would nix the lot and we'd all be working 6 x 13 hour days a week with no paid holiday or sick leave within a very short time.
- as a country we no longer produce much, we need easy trade with other countries or the selection of goods we can access and the prices we are used to will be gone.

I do think we need to be better at managing things like NHS spend, currently if I went to somewhere like Spain with my EU healthcare I would be entitled to some but not all healthcare and what was covered is charged back to the British government by the Spanish govt. as a country we are crap at doing it and just give away free healthcare without cross charging which is a massive expense.

I'm not sure I have any major concerns about trade as I imagine there would be certain treaties keeping certain aspects of EU law to allow Britain to participate in the unions single market such as with Switzerland. Also with British citizens abroad and European citizens here I'm sure there will be arrangements out in place for them to remain, it may end up bein for example that British citizens abroad have to claim British benefits and vice versa but again countries in the European economic area but not the EU do well with this arrangement.
My main concerns are around working time regulations, maternity, sick pay, holiday entitlements etc. This government seems hell bent on making life as financially tough for as many people as possible while allowing big businesses to get away with anything. I can imagine them slashing holiday pay and entitlement etc. I will probably be voting to remain but I do need to look at the issues in more depth.

I'm swaying towards staying. Don't trust our government to be fare on the working people

I'm voting to stay. Cornwall gets A LOT of help from Europe. And I don't trust our government enough (at all ;) ) to put my trust solely on them to have our best interests at heart. It is all very confusing though!

I'm 60/40 at the moment towards voting to leave. I think the arguments for both side are very strong. Each side has potentially massive consequences for our future and I do think it will be a close call.

I think the trouble is it's all COULD effect this, COULD effect that. Nobody can give any definite answers either way so just seems like guess work on both parts.
From what I can see- the older generation are very much for leaving. I can't help but wonder if they're right seeing as they were around before we were in the EU too.
With the general election, I was changing my mind practically every day in the lead up- and I can see me being the same this time as I have no really strong feelings either way yet.

Agree Lora, very much speculation based. We aren't in a position to know for sure what will happen.

I think a lot of people will flip flop in the run up because neither campaign is doing a very good job, imo. I am an adamant stay and i am hoping the majority of flip floppers will vote stay in the end, as per the Scottish referendum!

I'm voting to stay. The fact that David Cameron could scrap the human rights act terrifies me! I don't trust him to change it for the better. Also I'm worried about the employment side of things if we leave. I really don't want to have the issues that Americans have- minimum maternity pay, no sick leave, etc.

Nato and stuff is a key thing for me. Many people I have spoke to have based it on untrue immigration facts, and that only. Totally bypassing other factors.

I was so confused and was voting to go... due to all the immigration but after reading this about sick pay, mat pay etc. I will be voting to stay.

Thanks girls

xxx

I'm bumping as we're not too far off the referendum.

My gut instinct still remains to stay, but sometimes I read a good compelling argument to stay. But then I worry that nothing in this is guaranteed. We dont know what would happen if we go..

Cameron didn't do a job on the sky debate, he was waffling! I can see why he wanted to duck out of the debates from last years election. He's pretty shit at it tbh!

Gove,don't like him anyway, seems to create a nice sunshine approach to leave when you have to remember none of it is guaranteed. He seems to be defending this £350mill figure that isn't factual.
And there will be loss of jobs. It's easy for him to be like yeah there will be but it won't be him affected. Our generation has struggled so much, growing up in the recession has meant this is a genuine fear. I will go against anything that threatens any job. But does immigration threaten this as well. Yes and no..

It's confusing and tbh neither side is doing a good job pushing the benefits. They are BOTH scaremongering.

I'm voting to stay. The fact that David Cameron could scrap the human rights act terrifies me! I don't trust him to change it for the better. Also I'm worried about the employment side of things if we leave. I really don't want to have the issues that Americans have- minimum maternity pay, no sick leave, etc.

Ive read that the huMan rights act is nothing to do with the EU, Russia abides (apparantly!) by the act and they're not in the EU

Likewise, nato is separate from the EU. The U.S. is part of nato but not even in Europe, let alone the EU.

That said, im probably 55% stay at the minute. The uncertainty of what would happen if we left scared me too much, yet there's a lot that im not happy about and I fear that if we remain we won't be able to negotiate any changes.

I'm definitely leaning more towards staying. I wouldn't trust this government with a pet stick let alone be in charge of things like workers rights etc...

Ive read that the huMan rights act is nothing to do with the EU, Russia abides (apparantly!) by the act and they're not in the EU

Likewise, nato is separate from the EU. The U.S. is part of nato but not even in Europe, let alone the EU.

That said, im probably 55% stay at the minute. The uncertainty of what would happen if we left scared me too much, yet there's a lot that im not happy about and I fear that if we remain we won't be able to negotiate any changes.

Is it just the ECHR that's separate? Or the actual bill itself? (Genuine question because I read the court is)

The ECHR is separate and set up by the council of Europe who are not part of the EU. That said I would be concerned that a move out of Europe could start a move out which to me is unthinkable Churchill was a big force in setting it up at the end of WW2. The way the media portrays it sometimes is awful it's really designed to prevent torture and the state overstepping its boundaries.

At the moment Iam probably 55 in. I wish the focus was not on immigration though

The Echr i believe? And they oversee the act, that's how I took it as anyways x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->