VQ chest scan during pregnancy

LittleBambino

Reaction score
Hello ladies,

I'm curious to know whether any of you have had to have a VQ chest scan for any reason during pregnancy? I had one the other day due to a suspected clot in the lungs & would like to chat with those who have had one during a previous pregnany? I was told that the scans radiation is not enough to harm my child. However, would like to chat to those who may have experienced this as I'm in a little bit of a confuffle! :shrug:

All the best to you all & thanks in advance :)

My sister was hospitalized for pneumonia when she was pregnant and she had some sort of chest xray. It was over 7 years ago, so I don't really remember much else about it, but her daughter is perfectly healthy. They typically don't do xrays during pregnancy unless absolutely necessary, but it sounds like you really did need one. I'm sure they took all the precautions to protect the baby, and as long as the xrays aren't directed directly at the baby, everything should be fine, especially since you're in the second trimester. :)

Thank you sunshine623, I honestly thought I was the only one who was subject to such a hard decision but was told this risk to myself was greater than the risk to my unborn child if I didn't go through with it. I'm glad all is well with her daughter!

x x x

Hey there. I had one about 7 weeks back. I had the radioactive isotops injected into my blood stream and then the VQ scan to check for a clot in my lungs. Thankfully it came back normal. I was told the dose of radioactive isotops was much smaller then what was given to people not pregnant. I had my 20 weeks scan a few weeks later and it hasnt had any affect on baby girl. she is healthy, happy and growing right on track.

Thank you yourstruly10, I've just been so concerned reading articles which stress the effects of this medical. I also had the injection too. I was told the amount of radition I was exposed to was like a trip to America via plane and back to the UK. I'm so glad all is well with you. I have my 20 week scan in 12 days so I'm hoping for all the best with my child.

Thank you once again, you've given me some reassurance!

XXX

No problem! I was terrified too. Its scary to think of being injected with radiation and the chances of it getting to baby. I trust my doctors judgement though(same doctor I had for my first born) and she was right. I left kinda feeling like it was a waste since there was no clot but after I thought about it I felt better knowing I was safe and so was baby rather then risking having a clot and not knowing.

I felt like I'd just made the worse decision of my life to be injected with radiation too until two minutes had passed and the consultant put their thumbs up with a simple "all seems good". :dohh:

I did feel like it was a waste of time but I am grateful all is well and I believe I know what to look out for now if I ever experienced those symptoms again.

I'm glad all is well with your little girl & I wish you a healthy/happy and prosperous future too. :hugs:

xx

Hello ladies,

had x-ray and vq scan at 23 weeks pregnant and before all these tests, i asked if it is a risk for my unborn babay , she said "NO' this are kind of mobile phone orTV that you have same radiation ...But after i google it VQ i find out a lot information said "cause childhood cancer" and now i feel , they lied to me !.. and i am at 33 weeks now and worried a lot ... i will go an ask to terminate baby ...

any one can help me who had same type of scan long time ago ?

I want to number the points I'm about to make but I'm not sure where to start really.....
1) I've just read from a reliable source that there is only a 0.0004% chance of the baby developing cancer because of the scan
2) i'm pretty sure your use of the "T" word is against forum rules out of respect of women who've had a difficult journey to motherhood. There is also no way any doctor would even begin considering that for the reason you've put. It's highly likely that this thread will now be locked by admin
3) pulmonary embolism is a life threatening condition that will likely cause severe heart failure if you are lucky enough to survive. Weighed up against the risks it's extremely important to detect it quickly if there are any suspicions
4) this is a 5 year old thread........

please try to calm down i know it's natural to worry about our babies but the end of your post is completely irrational and may upset and/or offend people here. Do you have a midwife or doctor who can discuss the scan risks with you with researched facts rather than trusting "dr google"?

IchigoMewMew; thank you for your explanation..

You are right , i'm not irrational recently..
I'm trying to get more information about VQ therefor i'am here.. i don't want to scare mums .I only need to get clear information..

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->