Waiting Due to Education

Springermommy

Reaction score
I'm not sure how many of us are floating around out there, but I'm sure there are some! Thought it would be cool to talk about WTT due to school - the good, the bad, broody moments, people who don't understand why we're doing what we're doing, etc, etc.
I think we're a very special group of ladies who want what's best for our future families and we demonstrate that by putting our education first at this point in our lives. We rock! Here are some questions I came up with, too...
What are you studying?
What degree will have you have?
Where do you go to school?
How long until you graduate?
How old are you?
When are you planning on TTC?
How does SO feel about your schooling?
How does your SO feel about TTC?
What sort of feedback do you get from others who know you're waiting until you complete school?
What career do you hope to obtain someday?
When do you find that you're the most broody?

Awesome!

What are you studying? I am studying general psychology
What degree will have you have? I will have my masters
Where do you go to school? I am going to Grand Canyon University online
How long until you graduate? I am scheduled to finish late April, though I will go through graduation mid March
How old are you? 26
When are you planning on TTC? September of this year
How does SO feel about your schooling? He is very pro it! He helps me stay motivated.
How does your SO feel about TTC? He goes back and forth. He is excited to have kids but gets worried about it. He wants more "us" time. LOL.
What sort of feedback do you get from others who know you're waiting until you complete school? Hm. I don't get really any feedback about it. It's not really an issue.
What career do you hope to obtain someday? I want to open a therapy clinic for kids with developmental disabilities. Hoping to get that going in about 2 to three years.
When do you find that you're the most broody? I haven't been broody at all for the past couple weeks strangely. When it does happen, it's pretty random.

What are you studying? - Midwifery. I'm doing it in 18 months as I already have a BN (Hons) in Adult Nursing

What degree will have you have? - BSc (Hons) something like in Midwifery Practice :blush: - is it bad that I don't know the actual name of my degree? I'll be a registered midwife at the end of it - and it's that bit that will get me the job.

How long until you graduate? My course finishes in mid-March, hopefully have my registration through early-mid April. My graduation ceremony is in July. I hope the weather is nicer than the last time I graduated. It was dry for photos outside, but absolutely bucketed down all the way there and all the way back.

How old are you? 27

When are you planning on TTC? March at the earliest, but it will more likely be June or so. I need to be in a permanent job and know that I will get maternity leave. I am fortunate in that I am employed by the NHS Trust to do my midwifery training, so I still have continuous service from when I was working as a nurse.

How does SO feel about your schooling?
How does your SO feel about TTC?
What sort of feedback do you get from others who know you're waiting until you complete school? I'm doing this on my own. I feel I have waited long enough for a man with father potential. I never wanted to be an older mum, and I know 27 isn't, but I feel that, even if I met a man today, it would probably be a couple of years until we were at the TTC stage, and then if we had difficulty getting pregnant, that would be even longer (I have long, irregular cycles), then NHS waiting lists, treatment, pregnancy. It would take years. So I'm doing it my way. No-one in real life knows.

What career do you hope to obtain someday? I would love to be a community midwife. I really enjoy the variety. The only problem I have with midwifery is the hours. As I said, I'm planning on doing this on my own. So childcare will be an issue (I know my mum and sister will be more than willing to help out). Over the last 5 years or so, I have seriously considered doing a PGCE and becoming a teacher. (I would also love to train as a vet). Not sure whether I would do primary teaching (poor job prospects around here) or may be train as a biology teacher. I don't know. I'm going to get on with midwifery for now. When I was younger, I had very clear ideas about what I wanted to be, and didn't get people who didn't know what they wanted to do - I now seem to be one of those people!

When do you find that you're the most broody? I manage to control myself at work. I sort of arrive at the hospital and just go in to professional mode. But being surrounded by babies all day every day doesn't really bother me at work. At home, it is a different matter. I am just the tiniest bit jealous of some of the pregnant women I know, and I wish it was me having a baby. But any time I am out of work, I get so broody whenever I see a baby. I'm that bad that a crying baby doesn't annoy me (even at work!).

:wave: I'm getting a doctorate in psychology, planning to graduate in June 2015. We're WTT #2 at least until I know whether I'll be staying in academia or not, which will be in about a year, and probably longer than that. It's tough to wait! Most people are supportive and understanding, although I get a lot of questions about #2 and it sucks to say that we have to wait. Also, more and more of the mom friends I've made with babies around my son's age are TTC or pregnant now, which makes me impatient! Nice to meet you all :)

What are you studying? Nursing

What degree will have you have? I have an AA, hoping to have a BS, then possibly become a NP.

Where do you go to school?Sacramento, CA but I am moving to Oceanside, CA in may

How long until you graduate? about 3 years :(

How old are you? 25

When are you planning on TTC? 2017 (but if it happens before then, thats okay too!)
How does SO feel about your schooling? He wants me to hurry up and get throughit. I didnt start school until 2011, even though I grad high school in 07. I had some family issues that needed my attention so I put off school.

How does your SO feel about TTC? He is neutral. He wants to be a dad, but not yet.

What sort of feedback do you get from others who know you're waiting until you complete school? people always tell me that I;m making a good choice by doing so

What career do you hope to obtain someday? Registered nurse and then a np. hopefully in nicu, obgyn, or pediatrics

When do you find that you're the most broody? almost everyone i know from high school either has children or is pregnant. whenever i sign on facebook or instagram I just cant help myself! haha

Me too, me too

What are you studying? Midwifery.
What degree will have you have? I'll be a registered midwife.
Where do you go to school? In Estonia, Tartu Health Care College
How long until you graduate? 2,5 years more to go
How old are you? 23
When are you planning on TTC? After I've found a job. But that requires a diploma.
How does SO feel about your schooling? He is fine with it.
How does your SO feel about TTC? Faboulous because he doesn't want kids at yet.
What sort of feedback do you get from others who know you're waiting until you complete school? Only one friend who got a child wants me to get one too. Not gonna happen. She is a pretty good example of why not to get kids when still studying. Everybody else are really understanding.
What career do you hope to obtain someday? Midwife.
When do you find that you're the most broody? If I see some really great families getting pregnant, giving birth etc. But then again there comes somebody else having a really bad birth and all my baby-wanting-ideas fly far-far away.

So cool that a couple of you are training to become midwives! Being pregnant and giving birth got me really interested in birth, but I was never interested before. :thumbup:

My grandma was a midwife. I used to visit her in the hospital when she was working and got to hold the babies and feed them from bottles. So I decided at one of these moments that I wanna be a midwife. Too bad that midwifes really don't do what I thought then - holding babies and feeding them all day long :haha:

You should be a postpartum doula on the side! I think lots of new moms would be happy to take a nap for a few moments while someone else held and fed their babies... :)

Marima - I completely agree that there are the odd times when I think I'm definitely not going to have kids, but those are few and far between, and even when births haven't gone to plan - women have ended up having an instrumental delivery, a section or some other complication, it's very rare for there not to be a good outcome - a happy and healthy mum and baby - that it would make it all worth it. None of the mums I have spoken to who have had something not go to plan have said they regretted it, and that is what I try and tell myself when I think I'm not going to go through that.

I kind of realised yesterday that it is next month I finish. I knew that I had six weeks or whatever it was, but being next month just seems way too close. It doesn't seem five minutes since I started the course. It's really exciting, but I'm absolutely terrified about it.

What are you studying? Still undeclared, but I'll probably head into either Psychology or Kinesiology

What degree will have you have? I have an AA in Airway Science, but hope to get my BA and Masters (Maybe a Doctorate? ;)) In one of the above.

Where do you go to school? Right now I go to Rio Salado, as I'm still in the military. But, I'm attending Black Hills State in the Fall.

How long until you graduate? My BA will be done in 2 years. But, I think I'll be going for my Master's.

How old are you? 23

When are you planning on TTC? 2016ish

How does SO feel about your schooling? He wants me to go to as much school as I want.

How does your SO feel about TTC? He wants to sooner, rather than later. But, he understands my reasons for WTT.

What sort of feedback do you get from others who know you're waiting until you complete school? They think it's a good idea.

What career do you hope to obtain someday? Psychologist or Physical Therapist.

When do you find that you're the most broody? When I go to baby showers (Saturday) when I see babies, and during O. :haha:

Caite - you're lucky to have few bad experiences. Lately I've had them quite a lot and also had one that didn't have a good outcome. So now I'm sometimes thinking about that family and imaging (although trying not to) myself into that situation. So that kind of brought me on ground of how dangerous delivery can be. But you're right. Even though dealing with complications I would never want me to experience, those moms still are happy holding their newborns.
You have all your exams and papers done? Oh I can't imagine how happy I would be if I knew that I'm graduating in just a month.
Although, we have really big and hard exam day after tomorrow and at mo I can't even see myself passing that so yeah, I'm not so sure I'll see the month before graduating.

MamaByrd - welcome :flower:

Just one assignment to go. A few more deliveries and some more postnatal checks, and then I'm done. I can't believe it is just a month til I finish. I'm sure your exam will go well and you'll be graduating before you know it.

Mamabyrd - what is kinesiology?

How many deliveries, ante- and postnatal checks you have to do?

Caite- Kinesiology is the study of human movement. It's the degree for Physical Therapy, Chiropractic Physican, Sport Management, etc. I'd be going for Physical Therapy.

Over here, I think physiotherapists do a degree (BSc or whatever) in physiotherapy.

Marima - we have to have 40 deliveries, 100 antenatal, 100 postnatal, 40 (I think) high risk women, 40 labouring women, and then a few others - I think it's the same all over the UK. I've got 3 deliveries, about 10 antenatal and 15 postnatal to get. My lady the other day was quite funny, if we encouraged her whilst she was pushing, she would tell us to be quiet. If we were quiet, she would be like 'umm, encouragement?' in the middle of a contraction.

MamaByrd - I love kinesio taping. You learn that too?
Caite - my funniest was a singing lady :D When contracions went really painful she went to her own world. Didn't quite listen to us or react. She was just singing what she wanted to say. Ie: I can't take it anymore, it's so painful, come my child and so on. We were giggling with my mentor and as soon as we stepped out of the delivery room, we bursted laughing. But she was such a great woman :thumbup:

Marima, I can see why you would laugh but that's so cool! Sounds like she really found her groove :thumbup:

How are you girls doing? I haven't been here for months and as I can see, this topic is so quiet.
I've got a new job as an ambulance nurse now so I'm studying and working both fulltime but I really love this job. I think that'll be something I'm going to stick with even after I graduate. First time in my life I love going to work and feel myself as a workaholic :happydance:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->