Waiting for midwife to call me back *bit of a rant in here too, sorry*

Eliza_V

Wife and Mummy!
Reaction score
I'm not generally a "worrier", despite the fact this is my first pregnancy. But I am waiting for my midwife to call me back because I got out of the shower, put my knickers on, dried my hair etc, and when I decided to put a pantyliner in cause I sometimes get a bit of discharge (TMI sorry) it seemed a bit green coloured and there was a couple of small spots of blood in it.

Aannyway. Decided to call the midwife to let her know (didn't answer, can't say I'm surprised as she is a bit useless) as yesterday and the day before I was confined to bed with a fever as well, and you know, just thought the two together would be worth mentioning. Left a message, but answerphone says to call midwives at hospital (a number would be great?) if she doesn't call back within an hour.

Although part of me is wondering whether to just carry on as if it hasn't happened as I reckon I'll get fobbed off by the NHS as per usual and end up wasting my day. Call me harsh, but when you call NHSdirect with a fever at 14 1/2 weeks pregnant to ask whether it's worth popping to the GP as 1) I've been to a malaria-area in the last 6 months and 2) the current swine-flu risk (you know, get a quick blood test for both) and she just chats a load of sh*t about "are you having a stroke" for half an hour then tells me to call my midwife as I'm constipated and "still in my first trimester" (wtf) and then hangs up.. Nothing about my fever.. Can't say I have high hopes. And this ist he same midwife that tells me to wash out and re-use my pee specimen pots as "it's sterile enough" (who also didn't check urine until 12 weeks).

*apologies for the moan* xx

Ookkay so it's been an hour, so I'm going to call my midwife yet again (to no doubt get her answerphone again) and then try and work out who these other midwives are that I'm meant to call.. Fun.

mine washes out urine sample pot for me to reuse again.

Do you know which hospital you are put under yet? Just look up their website and it will list the midwives number - also if you have your notes they should also have the other midwives number - good lucky honey and try not to panic!

Also, don't bother with NHS direct - useless and know nothing about pregnancy!

Oh dear, it's not nice when they make you feel like that. If you've got your notes, definately check if there are any other numbers you can ring, or your Docs surgery might have a number or just ring the main switchboard of your hospital. Hope you manage to get through to someone.
As for reiusing your urine pot.. I'm so jealous! Our hospital don't provide them anymore because they cost too much!!

Got to ring delivery suite at 1pm apparently and go in for swabs (they said go to GP but I said I can never get appointments same week let alone same day, so they said go in) and they said put a new liner on and bring it with me if anything leaks again. Said it's probably thrush or BV. Will they do a urine test when I go as well, or will I have to ask? And this is the kind of time I wish we hadn't lost our doppler, even if we did only get it for a novelty..

Lol at least yours washes yours out. I was given it back unwashed with urine still in it and told to reuse it, we were going shopping after my appointment so I didn't want to walk round Asda with it.

Lol at least yours washes yours out. I was given it back unwashed with urine still in it and told to reuse it, we were going shopping after my appointment so I didn't want to walk round Asda with it.

Lol same here.. I was like "Oooh.. thanks for that." But erm.. I am a little disgusted to admit that when I got home I forgot it was in my bag and found it the next day.. Needless to say it hummed a bit so washing it out wasn't fun *bleurgh* lol!

Ookkaayy.. So my midwife rang me back and agreed that I need to go up to the delivery suite and have some swabs/checks done. I rang the MAC but the midwife there then said "Oh no, don't come in. Go to your GP." basically telling me to ignore what my midwife told me. WTF?? If I'd have known that I wouldn't have been sitting here for hours waiting to ring them back! Rang the GPs and they can get me in at half 4 as an emergency, only male ones in today though, and said thre's no internal examination or anything (yet my midwife said there would be to see where the bleeding was coming from) just a swab and then sent home.. Not even checking for a heartbeat or even to see if there is a urine infection that caused the fever? *sigh* I'm sick of being bounced around and fobbed off so much the last couple of days, I actually feel like crying!

Awww hon, I can't really offer any advice, but I share your annoyance re midwives. Honestly, I have had such a nightmare trying to sort out 25 week appointment. At sixteen week appointment, midwife said I should have next appointment at the hospital as my blood pressure is a bit high, but does there appear to be any way to make the appointment? Is there heck! All you ever get from the hospital's midwife office number is an answerphone message which tells you their opening hours (which I always ring within!) and tells you not to leave a message. I must have ended up phoning every number in maternity notes book and nobody could help. Finally actually went to their office as on same site as where I was having my scan last week - and they moaned at me that 'if midwife wanted you to have app at hospital, they should have made app for you'. Erm, thanks for that. Blame me for the rubbish service and the fact that, being on baby number 1, I have absolutely no idea of any of the processes!

They grudgingly gave me the numbers for two midwives on my community midwife team and I called them but one just rang and rang and the other went to voicemail but again it said I couldn't leave a message! Arrrghhhhhh! I gave up in the end and just made appointment for community midwife at doctor's surgery.

Sorry, rant over, but honestly, so appalled at their rubbish service!

Omg that's terrible!! I don't blame you for being angry. Tbh I'd put in a complaint as that's putting yours and your baby's health at risk when you've got high blood pressure :( Hope you get it sorted hun.

When I saw the GP yesterday I was a little more relieved. At least she said I *was* right in that I should've come in for my fever, but then said I needed a blood test for malria but I couodn't have it 'til this morning (this surgery really don't have an idea of what "urgent" is, but never mind). She didn't listen in for the heartbeat despite what midwife said, but I found my doppler when I got home and did it :)

awh hun! hugs!..

your care team dne sound very efficent! .. i hope everything is ok!

Oh dear.. can you get in to see your GP if you are unable to speak to your midwife.. mine has left and I have another one who seems less kind and more clinical.. I think they can be clinical, I wouldn't be to worried if you feel things are okay with baby, but if you are worried then contact you GP if really stuck!! I think Midwives are hard to get hold of it sounds like you could do with a better one, although I had my 17 week check yesterday and I had to ring to book the appointment, they hadn't contacted me!! So maybe none of them are that great.. xx

hope u got seen to and all is well.

Being in 'early pregnancy' sucks, it doess feel like no one cares. Unless u r past the 24wk mark they dont react much. I remember on my 1st child i was 19wks gone and i was having severe cramps that made me double over and go all hot. I wasnt asked if i was bleeding (i wasnt) or anything was passed from pillar to post, epu to g.p to midwife and back again. Eventually a g.p said look at 19wks theres nothing we can do, if u r miscarrying its basically beyond our control!! Gee thanks i was 18 and terrified. In the end i was sent to an out of hours clinic and noticed i was surrounded by 3 children with measles! I had already been told my mmr shot needing a boost after birth so i freaked. Anyway i was checked by a doctor who just listened to random parts of my body with a stethescope if he had listened to my leg i wouldnt have been surprised. Turned out to be my first ever attack of IBS, which i discovered on my own when i had sprint to the loo (tmi sorry) i was told by the doc its just hunger pains??????? Useless is an understatement. So rubbish u r being messed about, im on baby no. 3 u get used to pretty much being on your own thru pregnancy.

My midwife hasnt even written her phone number on my notes, she also gives me back my pee pot unrinsed and as im allergic to latex and they have no latex free gloves in the midwife office i have to open my own specimen pot for the mw to dip the stick in it etc as she isnt wearing gloves. Didnt know i would become part of the team lol. I sterelise the pot myself with hot kettle water and some milton fluid.

Wow, sounds like you've all been through it all as well! Gotta love the NHS! Well done to you guys for carrying on with it, it will make me more likely to carry on with less moaning now! Lilwelsh1 your care team sounds awful, especially with not providing latex-free gloves.. That's terrible!

I did get seen to at GPs eventually, but they didn't listen to HB or anything (so I did when I got home) so they just took a swab and told me to come back for malaria bloods this morning (!!! Should be done immediately if suspected ragh !!!) But heyho. Life goes on! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->